IGNORED

SonicOrbiter - Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming

Hi,

I think Lindemann does someting of that kind with his last musicbook:source with an Apple superdrive. 
It was on display in Munich last May.

From their website "Another feature is the possibility to play back CDs on a DVD-ROM drive (such as the Apple Superdrive), connected via USB. By the way, in a phenomenal sound quality thanks to re-sampling in DSD."

Best, Tom

IMG_0022.JPG

45 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Hi,

I think Lindemann does someting of that kind with his last musicbook:source with an Apple superdrive. 
It was on display in Munich last May.

From their website "Another feature is the possibility to play back CDs on a DVD-ROM drive (such as the Apple Superdrive), connected via USB. By the way, in a phenomenal sound quality thanks to re-sampling in DSD."

Best, Tom

IMG_0022.JPG

Yes, I have seen this as well. It works in the same way with their less expensive Limetree series.

IMO, the disadvantage of the Sonore solution is that it needs TWO Sonore devices.

It would be more convenient to have a Sonore device with an additional USB input and the software to playback CDs from the Superdrive.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, I have seen this as well. It works in the same way with their less expensive Limetree series.

IMO, the disadvantage of the Sonore solution is that it needs TWO Sonore devices.

It would be more convenient to have a Sonore device with an additional USB input and the software to playback CDs from the Superdrive.

Matt

That is the advantage because playback is completely isolated from the source in our scheme. 

On 10/6/2019 at 12:11 AM, vortecjr said:

I suppose you could use iTunes and Airport/Shairport. However, it's not the best sounding protocol on the Rendu;) 

If the UPnP/DLNA protocol is preferable on the Rendu, then foobar2000 player with the foo_out_upnp plugin can be used to play audio CDs and stream the audio to a UPnP/DLNA renderer. The foo_out_upnp plugin has options to stream the audio in raw LPCM, WAV & FLAC. Unfortunately, foobar2000 is Windows only.

Or, if the Squeezbox/LMS protocol is preferable on the Rendu, then the Logitech Media Server can be used to play audio CDs to Squeezebox type players, if you install the CDplayer LMS plugin. LMS can be used on Windows, OSX and Linux machines.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6 hours ago, Cebolla said:

If the UPnP/DLNA protocol is preferable on the Rendu, then foobar2000 player with the foo_out_upnp plugin can be used to play audio CDs and stream the audio to a UPnP/DLNA renderer. The foo_out_upnp plugin has options to stream the audio in raw LPCM, WAV & FLAC. Unfortunately, foobar2000 is Windows only.

Oops, shows how much I know about Macs!

Looks like a foobar2000 for Mac version exists and has the latest version (1.3.2) of the Windows foo_out_upnp plugin component (aka UPnP MediaRenderer Output)'s capabilities built into it:

https://www.foobar2000.org/mac

It appears the Mac version's features are limited and you can't install any of the Windows foobar2000 plugin components - so it's rather fortunate that it seems to have foo_upnp_out's capabilities built-in.

Certainly worth someone with a Mac seeing if its limitations don't prevent it from playing CDs and the built-in foo_out_upnp functionality works like the original Windows fb2k foo_out_upnp plugin.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, micbro said:

I may have missed some setup information regarding this topic.

i have an i7 for Roon and a signature rendu se.

Where do I connect a CD drive and how is it controlled?   Sorry if I missed this info in this or a different thread. 

You have to have 2 rendus - you connect the CD drive to the USB of one and play to the other

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
20 minutes ago, micbro said:

I do have a spare microrendu and an Apple drive I wasn’t using.   So I go USB into my router and stream to my SE ? 

B3A11B7E-6F46-423F-996E-AAF1F479A7DD.jpeg

No. Both rendus connected via ethernet to network. CD drive connected via usb to microrendu. Microrendu plays to SE.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I do not believe that the OS update has been released yet for the optical drive function.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@vortecjr

I suppose the best Rendu as endpoint, but will the SQ vary depending on what Rendu you have available as transport ?

I didn’t understand how your plan was to control the CD. What SW is required on iPad ?

Any news regarding using the SonicTransporter as where to connect the CD ?

Another crazy taught:

If you had HMDI in and out on next generation rendu’s one could connect an AppleTV, (or anything else), and just cast from your cell 😀

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

I suppose the best Rendu as endpoint, but will the SQ vary depending on what Rendu you have available as transport ?

I didn’t understand how your plan was to control the CD. What SW is required on iPad ?

Any news regarding using the SonicTransporter as where to connect the CD ?

Another crazy taught:

If you had HMDI in and out on next generation rendu’s one could connect an AppleTV, (or anything else), and just cast from your cell 😀

No matter what I say and what the reality is someone will say it matters. All you currently need is an UPnP controller but we have a another scheme in the works. No chance of HDMI integration.  

Some updates

1. Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming has been added to Sonic Orbiter 2.8. This feature is limited to Redbock CDDA disks. For setup: Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save. Then you connect a USB optical drive to the Rendu and it should show up as a new server on your DLNA/UPnP controller. Remember you need to select a different Rendu as the renderer. 

2. I have a working beta version that can stream to Roon / RoonReady as well.