IGNORED

HQPlayer version 4 requirements

brad225

Can any of you tell me if the requirements for Windows on the Signalyst home page are for the newest Version 4? I understand they need more powerful CPU to run them 

Is there a off the shelf laptop that has the power and ability to run it? 

Like some others here I am anything but a computer savvy person so a ready made or someplace that can offer a build dedicated for Roon, HQPlayer and Qobuz?

My needs are for 384 PCM and DSD256 max. 

Even if I could find a clear list of the requirements that the laptop needs to have would allow me to find someone local to build it for me. I have seen a number of posts in different threads about different parts people believe would work well but no suggestions for total criteria.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Brad

It massively depends on your exact settings. With some settings, extremely small light weight computers are fine. And with other settings you cannot find a computer on the market today that could run it.

So there's no way to give even nearly clear answer without knowing exact settings you would like to use.

Laptops tend to be challenging from thermal design point of view. Because they are crammed into small space, cooling is active and fans are small, meaning that high CPU loads require fans running at high speed which tends to get noisy. It is not so great to have computer sounding like a vacuum cleaner near audio system...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

This is a screen shot of the current HP laptop that I was running JRiver and now Roon on. 

It is only an i3 processor so I'm not sure it would do much of anything. 

I won't know what settings I would use until I have it downloaded and running but I'm rather sure I will need a new piece of equipment.

My DAC is capable of PCM 384 and DSD 256 so I would want a machine that would be capable of that.  

Can you tell me what I need to look for based on that. If you need more information from me please ask. 

I have looked through many threads with people talking about what hardware they use but I have no idea what 90% of it means. 

Thanks

lbQaBp8RTxqMh6A%MGOMqg.jpg

On 9/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, brad225 said:

Can any of you tell me if the requirements for Windows on the Signalyst home page are for the newest Version 4? I understand they need more powerful CPU to run them 

Is there a off the shelf laptop that has the power and ability to run it? 

Like some others here I am anything but a computer savvy person so a ready made or someplace that can offer a build dedicated for Roon, HQPlayer and Qobuz?

My needs are for 384 PCM and DSD256 max. 

Even if I could find a clear list of the requirements that the laptop needs to have would allow me to find someone local to build it for me. I have seen a number of posts in different threads about different parts people believe would work well but no suggestions for total criteria.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Brad

Check out Small Green Computer https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

They have purpose built music servers or can built you a custom server. They built me a custom fanless, 4 processor i5 computer that runs HQP with output at DSD256. Andrew is the owner and very helpful. Just tell him what are looking to do and your budget and he can advise you.

If Intel stuffs all the little businessman's new laptops with a new processor for Christmas.  You might be able find a higher end gaming laptop on Cyber Monday for slightly less than expected.  Expect it to be reasonably loud upsampling PCM to DSD.  384 won't be any trouble with a modern i5/i7/i9.  

If this doesn't need to be a laptop your options are much larger as are options within your budget.  A rough spending cap and general depiction of needs/usage might help guide you.

Thanks ericuco I will take a look at Small Green Computer.

Thanks rando, I am looking to be able to handle PCM 384 and upsample PCM to DSD 256. The noise can be dealt with based on the location it will be in. As far as budget I have not set one. I need to find out what is available and decide from there. 

I am using a Synology DS1019+ >Ethernet> Net Gear switch> Ethernet> Laptop> USB> Playback Designs Stream-IF>Glass> Playback Designs MPS-5. 

From the MPS-5>Glass> Playback Designs Stream-IF> USB> Laptop>Ethernet> Synology to rip SACD/DSD disc to storage.

1 hour ago, motberg said:

How about AMD ?

i think that they are reports on this thread that intel performs better for HQP use.

but there are also reports that 9700 would perform as well as 9900 for HQP and  @Miska does not seem to confirm with the single suggestion of 9900

there's this offer in Europe : https://www.amazon.fr/Memory-PC-i9-9900K-Graphics-Windows/dp/B07L9TFHYK/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=80745432846391&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=i9+9900&qid=1569481638&sr=8-8

not as expensive as I would have feared.And it's not Cyber Monday yet. But is the MB good enough for our ambitions* ? etc... the GPU is lean but that would not matter with Embedded that does not allow CUDA offload

And there's still W10, optical drive, HDD etc we don't need ; so there's maybe a way to find cheaper. BTW I'd take a link to the right machine or the right assembler in Europe ; (I'm the typical Mac fascinated buff not at all familiar with this world but starting to wonder about a dedicated HQP machine) 

*AFAIC : ext2 (or long filters coming)/ASDM7EC/any rate including DSD128 source/output 256 SDM with full range convolution

5 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

not as expensive as I would have feared.And it's not Cyber Monday yet. But is the MB good enough for our ambitions* ? etc... the GPU is lean but that would not matter with Embedded that does not allow CUDA offload

And there's still W10, optical drive, HDD etc we don't need ; so there's maybe a way to find cheaper. BTW I'd take a link to the right machine or the right assembler in Europe ; (I'm the typical Mac fascinated buff not at all familiar with this world but starting to wonder about a dedicated HQP machine) 

*AFAIC : ext2 (or long filters coming)/ASDM7EC/any rate including DSD128 source/output 256 SDM with full range convolution

Embedded does support CUDA offload on Ubuntu...

At least here there are number of smaller shops that can assemble a PC from the parts you want, if you don't want to do it yourself. Probably everywhere else too.

For doing convolution for DSD sources, I pretty much consider a proper Nvidia GPU must have, to offload the convolution computation.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

For doing convolution for DSD sources, I pretty much consider a proper Nvidia GPU must have, to offload the convolution computation.

Interesting! I assume that does not apply to PCM sources? At least I have no performance slump without CUDA.

I'm using the convolution for stereo and have 384kHz files (generated with Acourate) deposited. Mostly I hear with

convolution on / poly-sync-ext2 / ASDM7EC / 44.1 / 16/  2 -> 12.288M (DSD 256 x 48) / 1 / 2.

Great sound! Also with higher sources like PCM 192 / 24 there are no problems.

36854482ai.png

1 minute ago, StreamFidelity said:

Interesting! I assume that does not apply to PCM sources? At least I have no performance slump without CUDA.

I'm using the convolution for stereo and have 384kHz files (generated with Acourate) deposited. Mostly I hear with

convolution on / poly-sync-ext2 / ASDM7EC / 44.1 / 16/  2 -> 12.288M (DSD 256 x 48) / 1 / 2.

Great sound! Also with higher sources like PCM 192 / 24 there are no problems.

PCM is quite easy case, but when rate increases by high factor, the load also increases a lot. You may find it especially heavy for something like DSD256 sources, especially if those are 5.0 channel from NativeDSD or something...

I run a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, with Gigabyte X370 MB and a GeForce 1060 GPU.  OC my CPU to 4.0Ghz I can run several Filters with 5EC modulator at DSD256.  Since M, Closed Form 16M, MinringFirMP,  Poly Sinc ext2 can all be run at DSD256 with the 5EC modulator.  I have not tried the 7EC much.  My machine has WS2019, AO 3.0, and AF pro 8.4.  I use server in GUI mode but use AO for shell replacement with Roon Server and HQP.  My dac is T+A dac8dsd,  to my ears I still prefer DSD512 no EC obviously, to DSD256 with the EC5 modulator.  Its really not even close DSD256 sounds nice on its own then switch to 512 and the music opens up, comes alive and has more dynamics, pace, rhythm and drive.

I may later this year try a 3700X or 3800x with my MB and a faster RTX GPU like the 2060 super or 2070.  Hoping that setup will give me more DSD256 filters with EC7 and give me the elusive 512 non2s XTR filters.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Embedded does support CUDA offload on Ubuntu...

At least here there are number of smaller shops that can assemble a PC from the parts you want, if you don't want to do it yourself. Probably everywhere else too.

omg ! then I must forget about the beauty of booting Embedded/HQPOs from a stick (so easy !) and install a third partition on my Mac in order to trial Ubuntu...

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Miska, Jussy

What about the latest Apple Mac mini 6-Core?

• 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
  • 12MB shared L3 cache

Is that enough to run DSD native on HQP 4.XX?

I am now running on Mac mini I7 / 2.3 Ghz / 16 GB version that is capable running DSD 256 but most of the times no 512 DSD despite of the special filters that are available the so-called -S  filers etc.

image.thumb.png.464a6e8ee5f3a488f129a845d28a6d6e.png

I am using Allo USbridge and Project Pre Box S2 Digital  as DAC with an Uptone Regen as re-clocker.

Any experience with the latest Mac mini 2019 and the new HQP 4.0 till so far?

Thanks in advance

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

It is very hard to say about a particular machine without trying the exact same machine. My old 2011 Mac Mini can only do DSD128 (HyperThreaded dual-core i5). A bit newer quad-core i5 2012 iMac can do DSD256. Both with the non-EC modulators. I'm just finishing upgrade to latest 2019 iMac with i9-9900K (my new development machine to replace the 2012 iMac).

Some of the older Mac Mini models are dual-core (although HyperThreaded), which limits the performance quite a lot. Not so different from many Intel NUC models.

I would expect those newer 4-core and 6-core models to do DSD512 with non-EC modulators and -2s filters. But obviously I cannot promise.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

963938027_Screenshot2019-10-10at0_48_46.thumb.png.decbf4916ce3804d7ca7e12d13b89694.png

Not surprise, but poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC working fine to DSD256 on the iMac.

I can hear the cooling fan, so not quiet. But some other tasks have been spinning the fan much faster, so not so bad. This is however always a problem with such tightly packed small computers. So it is not nearly as quiet as the PCs I've built.

I don't think so, for security reasons Apple wants Macs to run only macOS and Windows. But on the other hand I don't see a point to buy Mac hardware to run HQPlayer OS, you can get better hardware for that purpose for cheaper...

P.S. For those who wonder why I always play ABBA... It is one of the first in alphabetic order, and I have to listen these thousands of times, so I don't want to wear out any better music for such... :D

I just thought that you really liked Dancing Queen. :)

7 hours ago, Miska said:

963938027_Screenshot2019-10-10at0_48_46.thumb.png.decbf4916ce3804d7ca7e12d13b89694.png

Not surprise, but poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC working fine to DSD256 on the iMac.

I can hear the cooling fan, so not quiet. But some other tasks have been spinning the fan much faster, so not so bad. This is however always a problem with such tightly packed small computers. So it is not nearly as quiet as the PCs I've built.

I don't think so, for security reasons Apple wants Macs to run only macOS and Windows. But on the other hand I don't see a point to buy Mac hardware to run HQPlayer OS, you can get better hardware for that purpose for cheaper...

P.S. For those who wonder why I always play ABBA... It is one of the first in alphabetic order, and I have to listen these thousands of times, so I don't want to wear out any better music for such... :D

Thank you. My MBP 2012 is still holding (but for the battery) but for how long? and when it fails I'll still need a powerful Mac for heavy photo processing

55 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Thank you. My MBP 2012 is still holding (but for the battery) but for how long? and when it fails I'll still need a powerful Mac for heavy photo processing

Mac Pro is probably fairly quiet under load. Like my HP workstation that doesn't make much sound, under load or not, it's acoustic signature doesn't change with load.