IGNORED

Beatles Abbey Road in 5.1, Dolby Atmos and new stereo

Just to save others the trouble:

Abbey Road’s Super Deluxe box set presents 40 tracks – including “The Long One” Trial Edit & Mix for the album’s epic Side 2 medley – on three CDs (stereo) and one Blu-ray disc (Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1). The four discs are housed in a slip-sleeved 12” by 12” 100-page hardbound book with McCartney’s foreword; Martin’s introduction; insightful, in-depth chapters written by Beatles historian, author, and radio producer Kevin Howlett covering the months preceding The Beatles’ Abbey Road sessions, track-by-track details and session notes, the cover art and photo shoot, and the album’s reception upon its release; plus an essay by music journalist and author David Hepworth looking at the album’s influence through 50 years. The gorgeous book is illustrated with rare and previously unpublished photographs, including many taken by Linda McCartney; never before published images of handwritten lyrics, sketches, and a George Martin score; Beatles correspondence, recording sheets, and tape boxes; and reproduced original print ads. The Super Deluxe digital audio collection presents all 40 tracks for download purchase and streaming in standard and MFiT formats, as well as in high resolution audio (96kHz/24 bit) for download.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Mark the calendar for Sep 27!!  :):)

https://abbeyroad.thebeatles.com/

They will get my money again. But The original and the digital releases sound really good. I wonder what this will sound like? Hopefully not too much added volume compression. 

Does this mean Revolver or Rubber Soul for Christmas? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Amazed I can't see it on Amazon yet. Geographical?

oops, as soon as I wrote that it came online:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLMMG28/?tag=ilovethatsong-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=c7b56f62ea3c3cc3cee52f09a63f48f2

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

11 hours ago, firedog said:

They will get my money again. But The original and the digital releases sound really good. I wonder what this will sound like? Hopefully not too much added volume compression. 

Does this mean Revolver or Rubber Soul for Christmas? 

They will get my money too. The challenge here will be not double spending. I really want the cd boxed set to ensure I have the blu-ray, and the book. If the digital hi-res sound quality is really good, that means paying out for both :(

JC

Wow, just saw at the Hoffman forum that amazon.ca mistakenly priced the full set at about $28 US for a few hours till they realized their mistake. Missed it. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Wow, just saw at the Hoffman forum that amazon.ca mistakenly priced the full set at about $28 US for a few hours till they realized their mistake. Missed it. 

A few years ago HDTracks made the same mistake.  It was 3:00 a.m. on a Friday, there Email came through, went to the website to check out the metal category that was advertised and all the albums there were for $1.27.  I bought 11 of them. Four of the bands I never heard of. An hour later the price was corrected. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

13 hours ago, firedog said:

I saw that in the Hoffman Forum too, and then realized that I literally missed that $28.00 price by less than half an hour. Which, unfortunately, sums up a great deal of my life.

JC

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-edition-first-listen

first listen to digital and atmos. Don't be alarmed - he starts off describing how terrible it sounded, apparently they had some problem with the setup in the demonstration. Afterwards he heard the atmos version properly played back, and said it sounded fine, similar to an original British pressing, and not too altered. 

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-edition-heard-real-stereo-system

Michael Fremer heard the CD version....and really liked it! Said it sounds better than any version other than his original, very early UK pressing of the LP. 
Said no big changes, just better ability to hear detail that wasn't always clear in the original, and better bass and drums definition. Says it doesn't sound like it has added volume compression - or at least not much. 
If Fremer liked the sound of the CD-it must be good. 

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Another snippet.

I get that it is just another snippet on video, but I'm definitely sensing more "thump" to the bass. Doesn't sound volume crushed either. 

• 3 weeks later...

So 3 days to go (at least to hear it via streaming services).  Reviews are starting to come out - Michael Fremer and Steve Gutenberg. Both liked it; Fremer liked it more. 
Fremer, of course, seems to prefer his early British vinyl version, but he did say there are aspects of the remix he prefers. 

As Firedog prefaced, here is the full Fremer review. Too much discussion about vinyl, specifically, but it's clearly to be expected. If not the king, he is at least vinyl nobility. He does make one tiny mention of the cd's:

"When I first played the CD version in the deluxe box there was more top than on the record, but not the kind I like, and more crunch but of the “sizzle” variety."

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-remix-full-review-part-2

JC

Err. It's after midnight in the US and morning in Europe 27 September.
I'm seeing the album available for download, but no streaming (yet?). Are they purposely not allowing streaming to pump up sales for a few days? I hope not. The people who want to buy it (especially the hi-res) are going to do so whether there is streaming or not.

Just thought I'd be able to listen to it already.....

45 minutes ago, zyberguran said:

I am listening for the last hour thru TIDAL. With or without MQA. 

In Sweden, though.

Good to know. Hoping that means it will be available for me through Qobuz later today. 

On 8/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, firedog said:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-edition-heard-real-stereo-system

Michael Fremer heard the CD version....and really liked it! Said it sounds better than any version other than his original, very early UK pressing of the LP. 
Said no big changes, just better ability to hear detail that wasn't always clear in the original, and better bass and drums definition. Says it doesn't sound like it has added volume compression - or at least not much. 
If Fremer liked the sound of the CD-it must be good. 

Wait, you trust Fremer? This is the guy that uses a scratched record as some of his listening standards. He also thought MQA was the best thing that ever happened to digital audio.....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

11 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Wait, you trust Fremer? This is the guy that uses a scratched record as some of his listening standards. He also thought MQA was the best thing that ever happened to digital audio.....

When his was one of the only reviews/previews available, what choice did we have??

listening to the 2019 remastered 24/96 version via qobuz -- sounds really, really good.

not sure i can peel myself away to compare to the 2009 version . . . 

edit:

i think @firedog described the sound accurately.  2019 version sounds very natural, great articulation between instruments, great texture of sounds -- sounds like a well-recorded contemporary album, not something 50 years old.  as was mentioned above, it is a little hotter on the high end -- definitely a bit more sizzle.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I've listened to it about 3 times now. I actually like the cymbal sound - I think it sounds more like the real thing than previous versions. 

As far as negatives: like most good digital remasters of tape, it adds space between the instruments, a blacker background, and makes it easier to hear detail. But: it also loses a little of that "denseness" that analog has so that it sounds a bit less "together". Not enough to be distracting or bothersome, but it's noticeable. I think it leads to a subjective perception of a little less power or "thrust" on some of the sections, especially in the medley on side two. 

I'll have to play with converting it to DSD or running it through my "Abbey Road Vinyl" software simulator just to see how it sounds. Maybe a bit more like tape, hopefully without losing the detail, etc. 

But don't get me wrong, I really like it.