IGNORED

Bits is bits?

4 hours ago, Summit said:

It is no problem to hear if a sound is coming in front, below or above us. It’s not as prices as horizontal, but I would not say it’s lacking.

Its also far less common in recordings. You don’t hear the effect with every recording as you do with the horizontal plain.  Layering or stacking images seems to be a more recentish development as I don’t recall hearing elevated imagery in old jazz recordings. I’ll check that statement sometime, so its just my recollection. 

46 minutes ago, Summit said:

Yes I know what precedence effect is. Its real and you need to take it as well as and all other acoustic characteristics in to question then position the speakers and acoustically treat a room. I was very clear about the big room has to have good acoustic, see condition 1.

It’s not a big room that makes the music sound big and airy, see my first conditions about the recording. What a big room does is letting us place the speakers so that that they are further from back, side and back walls, at the same time as we can place the speakers further apart. To place the speakers further from back, side and back walls result in a less compressed sound than in a small room, everything else held equal.

I have never been to any concert, no matter if it has been a small intimate club or bigger show, there the stage is 2 meter wide. In a big room there the speakers can be positioned 4 meter apart and 1,5 meter from side walls the sound-stage is more like a live concert. With bigger room you will sit further away from the speakers and the sound from the different woofers will blend in better IMO.

Sub bass can be problematic in all room and the problem depends of size, form and material of the room. I would not say that bass is a larger problem in a big room, if anything it’s easier to treat many of the reflections, place tube traps and so on in a bigger room.

If you rather have a small room and think it sounds better that’s fine by me and congrats it’s normally both easier and cheaper to get a smaller room. I OTOH would like a big listening room because I know from experience that the best and most lifelike sound I have heard is when all three conditions I stated earlier are achieved in a big acoustic treated room.  

Hi Summit, 

The soundstage is created in the head. All the room does is support or hinder the process with its pesky reflections and resonances. There’s absolutely no reason why a system installed in a small room can’t create a huge recording venue in your head. It should create what's on the recording and if the recording is of a huge venue, with big distances between reflection points, that’s what you should hear, based on all the huge-venue acoustic clues that should be reaching your ears. In a small room what would prevent that is early reflections, but as I’ve already mentioned,  the Haas  effect and some judicious diffusion looks after them. Anyway you obviously prefer large rooms whereas I don’t see anything about a large room that can’t be had from a small one, sonically speaking. With the exception of very deep bass maybe. Anyway, I’ll leave it there and say that I enjoyed our discussion. 

How about we finish our discussion with some music   Here’a An album that will create a realistic very large venue....you can here the space in the silences and the distance the audience is away. No gimmicks just natural acoustics and some `KICK-ASS’ music.  

Spyro Gyra.  Road Scholars  Heart of the night 

I have the CD but you should be able to stream it from somewhere like Qobuz. Guaranteed to sound good in large and small rooms alike 😉

1 hour ago, Confused said:

But if there is the odd poor quality connector used when making the original recording then that is fine, because assuming the playback rig is properly sorted it will allow the brain to connect to the essence of the music?

Personally i would say it all depends on whether the ‘essence’ made it past the bad connector...if it did, then yes, if it didn’t, no. 

2 hours ago, 4est said:

Although I generally agree with your first paragraph and have experienced it, I disagree with much of the second one. To begin with, I am no stranger to modding existing gear in hopes of mining further performance. I started doing so in the 80's by doing some of what Frank suggests(well, intimates as he never really does say what he does) by stripping down Dynaco gear and modding their power supplies. Sure, there are many gains to be had removing additional non needed circuitry and making hard connections. Those changes will not and cannot turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Please note that Frank has suggested that anything is capable of doing this, and that the room or speaker placement doesn't matter. In a previous post he has even stated that his speakers are on a work bench. Although I have no real way of knowing without first hand experience, I struggle to imagine the kind of changes one could make that ameliorates speaker placement and the room let alone the speakers themselves. If I am to use his tag line, no amount of work is going to turn a Trabant into a Porsche.

Yeah, well I’m not going to argue with you because in the end we probably agree about far more than we disagree about. Just to note I was a little careful in my word selection, stating that you can make a nice purse out a sows ear, which is absolutely true.....that lovely soft leather. Its not a silk purse....as you can’t change pigskin into silk, obviously.  

As for making a Trabant into a Porsche, that’s something I’ve never seen. What i have seen was a wonderful photo of a guy who converted his Trabant into a camper.  Cool paint job. 

Trabant Camping Car

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, DonaldT2109 said:

Let me see if I have got this right

I want to listen to "Not Sure" from Tim Berne's album Snakeoil

1) Spotify server grabs the digitised recording of Not Sure from Snakeoil and sends as a digitised stream (that's ones and zeros)
2) a/d  d/a  a/d   d/a   countless times across countless nodes on the internet
3) my local exchange (through a LOT of equipment) sends the digitised stream, as an analogue signal, to my local cabinet and then to my modem accross a pair of twisted copper wires for 2 miles, shared with my telephone line, running parallel to my mains power supply, past a couple of generators
4) After yet another couple of analog to digital conversions it is sent wirelessly at 2.4 GHz, shared with a few dozen other devices, to my PC
5) The Spotify app, sharing the PCs resources with everything else that is running, sends the bitstream to a USB port

At this point, timing, jitter, reflections, impedance and a whole lot of other techno-babble suddenly become a major problem and I need a cable constructed from the mixing of a virgin's tears with the shavings from a unicorn's horn for the last 7 feet which will give 000011110010010001001000000100100010101010001111000011000100100111110010111101000011 "Subtle dynamic shadings beautifully rendered as well as macro and micro dynamic changes" to those blessed with the Golden Ears which defy physics and, crucially, gives the scamming cable company a 99% profit margin (less the kickback given to the reviewer)

My qualifications?  Apart from a doctorate in data communications, I can smell BS at a hundred paces and realise that a dumb piece of wire cannot detect that the digital stream passing across it is audio rather than a print stream and then to decode it to audio, add "Subtle dynamic shadings beautifully rendered as well as macro and micro dynamic changes" to the audio, recode it to digital and pass it on to the DAC.

Are you sure about the PhD because there’s an awful lot of flawed logic here?

A digitised stream isn’t ones and zeros....it oscillating voltages. A dumb piece of wire doesn’t detect or decode anything, it merely transmits the voltage stream, either with or without interference. There’s no need to differentiate print from audio streams, they’re either handled with or without additional noise being added. 

44 minutes ago, marce said:

How does this have any affect on the analogue output, remember the claims are similar to what DSP does....

The BIG difference is analogue signal transmission is the SIGNAL, cleaning up the digital transmission does nothing to the analogue because it is encoded as BITs.

If the bits are mistimed, you get Jitter and if you get jitter you get phase noise. The point is, if there’s analog noise mixed in with an analog signal, there’s not a lot you can do, because you cant differentiate one from another whereas a digital signal can be reformatted without losing any of its audio integrity. But once you’ve cleaned and reformatted the digital stream you don’t want it recontaminated or mistimed by EMI, poor quality oscillators etc etc which is where the cables comes in. Its passive so it can’t enhance anything but it sure as hell can detract. 

3 hours ago, DonaldT2109 said:

Hoorah !. At last somebody who realises that the cable doesn't know it is audio and therefore can not possibly 'enhance'  the music which has been encoded into a bit stream

Exactly how does the cable reformatt and purify the digital stream?  

OMG    Pleae don't tell me that you think an expensive HDMI cable can improve picture quality

Actually no. I clearly know more about data and audio transmission than most of the respondants. You can abuse me as much as you like, but it will not make me into somebody is so out of touch with reality that he will spend next years vaccation money on a cable that does absolutely nothing more than my $10 cable and then try to justify it bu telling everybody that the violins "sound more alive"

------

Iso Regens ????    Presumably this piece of audiofoolery makes the ones and zeros look cleaner

Comparing USB audio to my water supply ? Why not compare it to a box of frogs?

Oh, and the single malt whisky and water comparison is one of the funniest things I have read for ages  ( I am assuming it was meant as a joke)

1110011 = 1110011           111111111=111111111  etc etc      get it.   Drag yourselves out of analogue and try to understand digital

I  notice nobody can explain how this fragile bitstream survives the 2 miles journey to my house as an audio signal

Sorry guys,  I thank you for your time but I'm out of here looking for a forum here they actually know how audio transmission works.

I suggest you do some reading up on how sound is digitised, transmitted and then restored to audio

See ya

You really don’t get this do you, which is why I’m having a hard time with the PhD. The problem isn’t 1110011....the problem is all the hf noise and phase noise that go along with it.  There’s no such thing as 1110011 in an electrical circuit. Its all analog voltages that REPRESENT 1s and 0s 

Which other area do we actually listen to the results, so surely the better questions are; how come we can actually hear differences? Or; What is it about our hearing that makes us so sensitive to these anomalies? 

My goal for over 40 years has been to have a system that is completely immersive and 100% musically convincing. I have found this goal to be very illusive and only achieved with the utmost care. One false move and its gone. I have heard literally hundreds of systems and have heard my goal realised on only very few occasions. The replacement of a single DC cable is sometimes enough to rob the system of its magic, so we’re not talking major anomalies. Close to perfect music from an audio system is in my experience a very rarely encountered quality. 

22 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

OK

Lets say that I have installed the Audioquest Diamond, as an example, into my system

I now have a beautiful clean signal reaching my DAC from my USB port, absolutely perfect, couldn't be better with no jitter and perfect signal timing

I quote from Audiostream.com, "The Audioquest Diamond’s greatest sonic attribute is its extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing. The Diamond is not a warm sounding cable nor does it roll off transients. Bass is well defined with a very slight fullness of the real thing. The soundstage is large with excellent width and depth"

I try The Synergistic Research USB Active SE with Enigma Tuning Circuits instead (Don’t laugh, it really exists)

Again from Audiostream.com, "The sonic characteristic of this cable that stuck with me the most was the richness of sound and analog character of the cable. The midrange of this cable can sound absolutely beautiful and revealing at the same time. Sound staging was not only wide, but extremely deep in presentation. The deep black background offered by this cable is very impressive. The Synergistic was never hard sounding or excessively rounded at the high end. Transients were well reproduced with excellent dynamics both macro and micro. The bass was well defined and not overly lean. "

So, my question one more time. How does a USB cable do this ? How does it adjust my now perfect bit for bit digitised audio-stream between USB port and DAC to give these results           Anyone ?

To do this they would need onboard A/D and DSP chips to derive the digital stream from the analogue USB, decode the digital stream back to audio, make their enhancements, recode to digital, D/A back into the analogue USB, regenrate the signal to the DAC.

That would explain the costs for a few bits of wire

Or is something different happening?   anyone ?

Lets take your first underlined paragraph.  I now have a beautiful clean signal reaching my DAC from my USB port, absolutely perfect, couldn't be better with no jitter and perfect signal timing. 

What arrives at your DAC depends entirely on what leaves your USB port. The cable only transports it. So by definition, all Audiostream.com are describing is the quality of the signal that appears at your USB port. All those cables have done is to transport it while doing minimal damage. If you were to hardwire your USB output to your DAC without any cable, what you should hear should be a combination of both descriptions, because the signal has to incorporate both sets of qualities before its transmitted along the cables, since neither cable can add those qualities, they must have been there before hand and all these cables are doing is not losing them to the same degree as others. 

21 minutes ago, esldude said:

I happen to know something about electronic filtering and water supply filtering.  Why don't you point out to us the web link for all of John's white papers and testing regimes he keeps promising.  Oh, yeah......right...................you can't.  So sorry. 

Don't know whether you'd be better served to learn about water filtration or electronics. Your level of understanding about both seems to be at the level of marketing spiel.  Maybe time to stop digging....................................................................

Oh boy....completely misinformed, as usual. 

https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

Unlike you, John, I don't really care what the reason is that some USB cables sound better than others. It is the end product, i.e. the enjoyment of the music that matters to me. Soundstage is not a particular priority of mine. Rather, I am far more concerned about resolution of detail, accurate timbre, and PRAT. In my lengthy experience in this hobby, I have found that different cables can offer improvements in those areas. Obviously, cables can't improve on what is actually recorded, but different cables can sometimes allow systems to get closer to it. You seem to have a very negative/cynical view of the audio industry in general that I just don't happen to share.

Hi Allan, I agree with what you say, but would like to discuss the concept of soundstage. 

In your priorities you list resolution of detail.  Essentially resolving detail is about resolving the differences between very closely related sounds. Let’s think about those differences for a moment; 

We obviously have frequencies and the frequency spectrum, timing and amplitude, but for me, no less important is space or placement.  If you have 2 voices (ie the same voice multitracked) that are identical in frequency and  timing, you will only hear one voice unless they have different timing and/or different placement in space. Placement in space is soundstaging, so if resolution is a critical priority for you,  accurate soundstaging (or placement in space) is one of the main areas of differentiation .  An example. Very often in poorly resolving hi-fi you will hear female vocals or violins that sound slightly harsh and annoying. Replay that same recording on a highly resolving system with good soundstaging and those female vocals resolve into the voice and the venue ambience. Although the frequencies and timing are similar the position of each is very different so you hear them as 2 separate events or sound entities and that’s why soundstaging is important....it allows you to better differentiate closely related details. 

18 hours ago, marce said:

Again, can't you even consider that perceptions are easily fooled and its not the knowledge or understanding that is incomplete, but the perception.

Nice insult, typical true believer dig, I state its simple ergo I am simple, get off you high horse for a few seconds, look at how easily perception can be fooled, expectation bias etc. and maybe learn a little electronics... 30+ years since digital audio appeared, look at where we are today with electronics compared to then and there are still Luddites going on about how complex it all is and we don't know what we are doing, measuring etc. Because you can't be wrong, your perception is ineffable.

My system sucks as well and my hearing and I can't be a true audiophile because even though I know cable differences can be measured 130dB below the signal I can't here that far into the mix, oh woe.

As stated reality does not sell cables or exotic fuses for that matter or Synergistic Research thimbles....

Hi Marce,

I wouldn’t say or even infer that you are simple...that’s (a) not my style and (b) I don’t know you from a bar of soap. What I said is based on simple logic. If you say for example that building a suspension bridge is simple, when its fact it involves highly complex math and engineering know how, then from a purely logical standpoint it must be your knowledge and understanding of suspension bridges that is lacking, or overly simple.

We have of course made progress in digital audio over the past 30 years, mainly in the area of discovering what can impact the sound negatively and finding way to ameliorate those issues.  You think we’re all done and finished in terms of discoveries and development? If that’s the belief then effectively progress stops.   But ask yourself how well our current systems are able to reproduce the sound of a live drum, trumpet or saxaphone?  If you think that’s the best we’ll ever do, I’m really glad there are others who believe otherwise, as we’re still a long way short, despite the past 30 years. Stated a different way, building a digital system is simple, if all you want are poor facsimiles of the real sound.  So again logically, getting the real thing must involve an extra degree of complexity, including some things we haven’t yet discovered.  

Of course I can be wrong about something and when I find out I am I change my mind, so convince me. In my case its taken me 40+ years of trying to build the perfect hi-fi to realise that everything matters AND that even the best systems have shortcomings. If we knew why and what, don’t you think we’d simply build better systems....That’s just the nature of who we are. So the very fact that recordings of musical instruments still don’t sound absolutely real should tell you that there are still shortcomings that remain to be discovered and solved.  Look at the progress we’ve made over 30 years. Do you think that will stop? Do you think we’ll reach a point where we know it all and further progress will be impossible?  I’m actually not aware of any discipline where this has happened so far in human history. As far as I know we are still making discoveries in practically every area of human endeavour. Why should electronics be any different?

Finally, there are 2 ways to handle an anomaly that doesn’t fit what we know. Denial or investigation. I (and my high horse) belong to the latter group.  I agree entirely that its completely illogical for a fuse to make a major difference in a hi-fi. For a start there are probably a dozen or more fuses in most systems. So let’s just deny that such a thing is possible. Poppycock!  But is it? What if the damned things do make a difference?  We’ve just thrown away a perfectly good opportunity to (a). Discover what’s going on that we didn’t know about previously and (b). To improve our system 

For me at least, a lot of the reactions to new discoveries are simply knee jerk ‘“can’t be”.  If that’s not expectation bias, then I don’t know what is. 😉