IGNORED

Wi Fi - Too good to be true?

Groundbreaking Device Fixes Slow Wi-Fi And Exposes Greedy Internet Service Providers... (It's Genius!)

FALSE ADVERTISING ? 

So, he developed a device that bypassed the ISP's speed throttling.

https://www.wifixtender.com/presell/review2.php?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=wifixetnder_launch&utm_term=term&utm_content=[AD-NAME]&geo=Australia&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

At best, just a WiFi extender if you're using cheap all-in-one router/modems with poor wireless strength throughout the house. Could help improve speed by boosting the WiFi signal at hard-to-reach places.

Not going to improve maximum up/down speed from your cable model or fibre or whatever you're using from the ISP.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

It's just a simple repeater.  Completely false advertising, no throttling is being bypassed, ever.  Only way around that is usually a VPN. 

Most of the time we aren't really being throttled, that means governed because we are greedy.  Usually it's excessively overprovisioned nodes or network segments that are the real problem.  Was never enough bandwidth for everyone to use full pipe all the time.

Oh, They Lord!  They sell the exact same device on Amazon for like, $14.99.  It is just a WiFi Extendeder and only operates on the slower 2.4ghz bands. I in fact have one in my desk drawer, used it to pull data off an ancient laptop that needed an ethernet connection. 

Depending upon your internet connection type, you may be able to speed your connection up with a better modem. That works very well with cable internet providers because of the way high speed internet  service is delivered over cable. A Docis 3 modern can request, and get, a lot of bandwidth delivered, if only for a short period of time. Usually you don't see this until you are at the 100+mbs service level though. And even then, your service provider is going to pay particular attention to throttling your connection, especially uploads. 

But this, this is a total and egregious SCAM.   

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Many ISP provided wifi units are 400 mw.  Extenders like that are usually 1000 mw which I believe is the legal limit for such.  So it would help around the fringes of your wifi quite a bit, and might help a little even in areas well served already.  I've got such an extender I use. 

I also setup one for my niece in college.  The dorm had wifi, but in places it was marginal.  I put the extender in the best place in her dorm room and let it repeat a much better signal throughout her suite.  So speeds were much better. The in room signal is higher from the extender by quite a lot, and the more powerful extender could talk back to the distant AP much better. 

That is another common issue with portable devices they don't have much wifi power to talk back to the AP even if they receive it okay.  The more local repeater/extender has antennas with a little gain and max power so it all works better.  Those little differences can often improve your speeds and reduce glitches by 200% or 300%.    

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

Of course it's bullshit.

Which is why I drew the members attention to it.

Dennis was correct with what he said, but the bit about overcoming the ISP's speed throttling is obviously bullshit.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Which is why I drew the members attention to it.

Dennis was correct with what he said, but the bit about overcoming the ISP's speed throttling is obviously bullshit.

What were you expecting from a clickbait ad link?

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

What were you expecting from a clickbait ad link?

A modicum of truth, not blatant lies.

It seems that our advertising standards are as piss poor as in the USA and many other countries.:$

8 hours ago, esldude said:

Many ISP provided wifi units are 400 mw.  Extenders like that are usually 1000 mw which I believe is the legal limit for such.  So it would help around the fringes of your wifi quite a bit, and might help a little even in areas well served already.  I've got such an extender I use. 

Some have radios may be rated 400mw but there is no guarantee it's actually running at that power level.  You can go all the way up to 36dbm of gain under FCC rules, taking into account both xmit power level and antenna gain.  I've installed as high as 28dbi directional antennas outdoors, crazy in terms of link length but you can't see the signal at all unless you are right in the LOS.

Best way to improve performance is to replace the antennas if your gear allows it.  I hacked a Cushcraft 3dbi omni antenna onto my AP and the phy speed consistently locks in much higher, lower latency, better throughput, lower power levels at both ends.  Consumer level built in antennas are just absolute garbage in comparison. 

16 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Some have radios may be rated 400mw but there is no guarantee it's actually running at that power level.  You can go all the way up to 36dbm of gain under FCC rules, taking into account both xmit power level and antenna gain.  I've installed as high as 28dbi directional antennas outdoors, crazy in terms of link length but you can't see the signal at all unless you are right in the LOS.

Best way to improve performance is to replace the antennas if your gear allows it.  I hacked a Cushcraft 3dbi omni antenna onto my AP and the phy speed consistently locks in much higher, lower latency, better throughput, lower power levels at both ends.  Consumer level built in antennas are just absolute garbage in comparison. 

Good advice. :)

The best I have found consumer level is the Netgear Orbi’s. Good performance, and the mesh network uses a 5ghz dedicated backhaul. Expensive, but works great. Also, has nice built in security. Pretty good about blocking phishing URLs. 

Robert A. Heinlein

I went all in on the Ubiquity Unifi stuff this year. I have a background in networking so found everything to work very well and easy to set-up. My house is newer so I've got cat5/6 in almost every room. Just dropped a few APs in the right spots and called it good. The Ubiquity stuff will do mesh, in a couple different ways, if I needed to do that as well. 

I honestly think more people should be investing in enterprise grade Wifi for their homes. We (yes, using the collective "we" here) spend an "above average" amount of cash on just about everything else in our homes that it's time enterprise level networking was one of those things. I can see this as a good space for hifi shops to get into. They just need to employ a couple folks who understood the gear. The low voltage wiring is no different than fishing cables for the AV/Hifi rig. It would make selling network streamers a heck of a lot easier on the consumer. 

1 hour ago, ipeverywhere said:

I went all in on the Ubiquity Unifi stuff this year. I have a background in networking so found everything to work very well and easy to set-up. My house is newer so I've got cat5/6 in almost every room. Just dropped a few APs in the right spots and called it good. The Ubiquity stuff will do mesh, in a couple different ways, if I needed to do that as well. 

I honestly think more people should be investing in enterprise grade Wifi for their homes. We (yes, using the collective "we" here) spend an "above average" amount of cash on just about everything else in our homes that it's time enterprise level networking was one of those things. I can see this as a good space for hifi shops to get into. They just need to employ a couple folks who understood the gear. The low voltage wiring is no different than fishing cables for the AV/Hifi rig. It would make selling network streamers a heck of a lot easier on the consumer. 

Yes, I run some Ubiquity gear, and for residential use its performance/price ratio is really good.   You can get links for literally miles if you can manage LOS.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Yes, I use some gear with antennas that will link for miles.   I think in the USA at least the legal limits are 1000 mw TRP and the 4000 EIRP.   The 36 dbm being 4000 mw EIRP.  

Some Ubiquiti gear I have runs also at 400 mw including antenna gain (26 dbm).  The extender I had in mind actually has 1000 mw TRP and some low gain antennas of only 6 db.  Which theoretically puts it at 36 dbm itself.  Or maybe I'm mis-remembering and its 1000 mw EIRP which with the antenna gain would be 250 mw.  Anyway it works very well from several hundred feet away. 

Ubiquiti always made the best radios, IMO.  It was always a PITA getting good xmit power out of atheros chipsets using embedded linux.  Don't know if they still do it, but Ubiquiti made it possible with the XR2/XR5 to use full device power levels without getting the chipset license.

Had a neighbor who kept trying to step on my channel when i was still apartment living.  I'd change, he would follow, just being annoying about it.  I was being nice and keeping power levels low, i don't like advertising out too far.  I had enough, so i pointed a 28dbi panel on a XR2 on his channel at him for a few days, he got the message.  Good times.

THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS ARTICLE, BLOG, OR CONSUMER PROTECTION UPDATE

The linked site is click-bait trash.

On the topic of legit wireless range extenders, I used a wireless range extender for a while (Netgear something or another) and it was better than nothing until I invested in a proper wifi setup and got all the consumer junk out of my network, but it wasn't reliable and required periodic reboots.

I highly recommend Ubiquiti Networks and their UniFi WAPs and Switches as well as their EdgeMax Edge Routers.  Even if you have zero tech ability and need to pay someone to do the initial setup, it is well worth it.

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Good advice. :)

The best I have found consumer level is the Netgear Orbi’s. Good performance, and the mesh network uses a 5ghz dedicated backhaul. Expensive, but works great. Also, has nice built in security. Pretty good about blocking phishing URLs. 

I’ve had good luck with the Orbi’s. 300-400 megs in the farthest corners of the house and no skipping around different SSID’s like when using multiple routers to cover the same areas. 

3 hours ago, mrvco said:

THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS ARTICLE, BLOG, OR CONSUMER PROTECTION UPDATE

The linked site is click-bait trash.

On the topic of legit wireless range extenders, I used a wireless range extender for a while (Netgear something or another) and it was better than nothing until I invested in a proper wifi setup and got all the consumer junk out of my network, but it wasn't reliable and required periodic reboots.

I highly recommend Ubiquiti Networks and their UniFi WAPs and Switches as well as their EdgeMax Edge Routers.  Even if you have zero tech ability and need to pay someone to do the initial setup, it is well worth it.

I like Ubiquity, but don't usually recommend them for home installs. Too frustrating to most people. Then again, I have a Cisco background, so anything not running with control, like from a 9800-40 is "home stuff" to me. 😚 Yeah, I know, there is that sweet 9800-CL to think of too.... I like. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein