IGNORED

Article: SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch Review

17 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Kind of you to scan my phone-typed text for grammar errors. There's an opening in the Grammer & Typo police if you're so inclined. 

"My friend works for Microsoft and..."  Is that a serious argument or a tongue-in-cheek joke? 

Not an argument just stating facts that also back up your belief that translation is spendy. Except I don’t believe it is a good or necessary use of funds in most cases for HiFi companies. 

If one’s customers are quick to judge foreigners on their English skills and decision to put resources in areas other than translation, then I guess it may be worth it. For 99% of the world, it doesn’t matter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

What many HiFi companies do is send a manual to the US or local country distributor or a dealer in country. This person helps polish the text. 

If this doesn’t happen I honestly don’t care. I believe the value placed on some of this stuff is too high by those who read into these things way too much. If the product is good and I can read the manual for what I need, then I’m good. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, gordec said:

You know it's controversial when it stirs the pot up in CA. 

I actually recently tried to power my $30 network switch with Uptone J2 just to see if I hear a major difference. I run my Pro iDSD through the switch and use it as a network streamer. I don't hear significant difference. I don't mind investing in something as long as I can hear a significant difference. 

I’d say your approach is very reasonable and one that most people I know use. 

1 minute ago, incus said:

Never said it was parallel. I just stated what I have in my system.

I believe he was referring the this statement in the review:

"May Park just sent me a note.  Having done some internal testing they found that under this parallel  configuration there was a dramatic sonic improvement."

15 minutes ago, firedog said:

There's a difference between making mistakes and posting a long "in depth" video where you arrogantly  explain the technical aspects of MQA and why it is superior - where it's clear you don't  know what you are talking about. And then defending his ignorance. That's not a "mistake", it's incompetence at best, something else at worst. 
I don't ever remember you doing something like that. And you seem to be willing to admit factual technical mistakes, and don't pretend to be an expert about stuff you aren't expert on. 

Understood. 

59 minutes ago, plissken said:

Ethernet cables transfer data. They don't transfer jitter. They can carry noise.

This is something we should look at more. 

Ethernet cables transfer whatever is in the packets. For IP telephony jitter is a huge issue because the tolerances are so much worse than audio. It seems like there is plenty of jitter involved with Ethernet.

I'm not following you about Ethernet not transferring jitter. Can you provide more details?

1 hour ago, plissken said:

You should be able to tell WHEN the cable is removed because the sound should improve

That's a very good point. If one cause of sonic change is noise and that noise is coming from upstream of the DAC Ethernet interface, one should be able to notice when the cable is unplugged. 

The funny thing is, I have a friend who has always unplugged his Ethernet for playback because he hates the sound when it's plugged in. This person has no idea how any of this works, he just uses his ears. 

I've also heard about measurements with and without Ethernet cables plugged into a DAC and being able to see differences on the analog output. I need to dig further into this to see if these differences matter and what they actually show.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Timing of the bits through an Ethernet or USB cable (to an async input) shouldn't matter because they go into a buffer.  Conceptually, you could be typing ones and zeroes with totally inconsistent timing, and as long as they went into a buffer somewhere and were clocked out accurately, no worries.  There are two aspects of noise that I believe could conceptually make a difference regarding jitter: (1) The DAC chip compares signal to ground in order to determine the timing of changes from 1 to 0 or vice versa.  If there's noise on ground, the timing changes - jitter.  (2) Noise getting to sensitive clock circuitry could make the clock less accurate.

I struggling to understand how these buffers actually help rather than conceptually should help. Doesn't the receiving end just buffer exactly what has been delivered? Ive used many IP phones that have huge jitter issues. A buffer should've solved the issue? A reclocker sounds more appropriate. 

I honestly don't know, so I'm just asking.

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

You will see 60hz mains noise creep it's way over Ethernet cables, even making it past the magnetic isolation transformers. This is why I'm a proponent of WiFi over either copper or optical Ethernet.

If you must go wired and you are wanting quality components: Get a used Cisco Catalyst 2960 8T for $30 and an Intel Server NIC for $20 if using a computer.

WiFi is the defacto, highest fidelity, connection available to the audiophile.

I like optical because one gets the reliability of wired and the isolation of wireless. 

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

Actually it's true.

In order to read off of a buffer some form of clocking needs to be present to read it out in an ordered fashion.

Keep in mind that one thing buffers do is enable linkage between two clock domain boundaries.

Not true with all digital signals. Ethernet sure, but a USB to AES converter doesn't reclock the data.

45 minutes ago, plissken said:

But AES isn't mentioned in the article and we are talking about a specific implementation.

If there is no buffering involved in your example I could see the point.

A quick glance at the Wiki for AES-EBU does show a clock and it's not the same clock on the USB bus (8Khz?).

So something is going on unless you mean something else.

His statement said all digital signals, so I wanted to make sure to correct that.

I've talked to the device designers about reclocking and they say their devices don't reclock. Perhaps a discussion for another topic.

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Now, this IS false. How can you creat an AES stream without timing information? 

Perhaps this is why you don’t design and manufacture components. I spoke about reclocking. When manufacturers tell me there product don’t reclock and aren’t reclockers, I believe them. Especially when they are people who’ve created cutting edge digital products for decades. 

42 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Resorting to ad hominen attacks is usually a sign of intellectual inferiority. And starting countless examples with "I have a friend who..." belongs to elementary school debates. 

You know nothing about me and my sets of skills. For that matter, focusing on the issues in hand is far more productive and civil than hurtling insults. 

As I sensibly wrote above it seems plissken refered to clocking the data (although he mistkakingly uses the term re-clocking). He was absolutely right. But instead of trying to dichper his true meaning, you jumped on his re-clocking phrase with a triumphant crow. Well done. 

Let me know if you need a ladder to get down off that high horse.