IGNORED

What Can't You Find on Qobuz USA Yet That You'd Like to See?

I'm not seeing this yet, but:

- It's brand new.

- Qobuz USA is still in beta and hasn't completed its catalog.

- But this is very beautiful; I'd like to know in general whether Qobuz USA will have Hyperion label recordings, and this one in particular, or whether I ought to go ahead and purchase elsewhere:

Cardoso Requiem Cupertinos.png

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was thinking that although it's a bit premature until Qobuz USA comes out of beta, this thread might serve as a place to list things you're not finding that you'd like to see, or at least know if there's a chance they'll be available on the service.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I'm not seeing this yet, but:

- It's brand new.

- Qobuz USA is still in beta and hasn't completed its catalog.

- But this is very beautiful; I'd like to know in general whether Qobuz USA will have Hyperion label recordings, and this one in particular, or whether I ought to go ahead and purchase elsewhere:

Cardoso Requiem Cupertinos.png

I thought Hyperion was holding firm to zero streaming services for their releases.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

4 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

I thought Hyperion was holding firm to zero streaming services for their releases.

I think it's not only zero streaming, but they even keep the download sales restricted to their own website.

I've not yet seen any Hyperion release on Qobuz' French shop. 

Thanks, thought it might be something like that.

People will have their own ideas of what's best for business.

Regarding downloads, aren't Hyperion releases available on eClassical as well, or is that another label (besides BIS)?

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Thanks, thought it might be something like that.

People will have their own ideas of what's best for business.

Regarding downloads, aren't Hyperion releases available on eClassical as well, or is that another label (besides BIS)?

Eclassical has Harmonia Mundi and some smaller labels. I haven’t seen any Hyperion there.

Umm, EVERYTHING is missing - because they won’t open up their %^&* beta yet! (And yes I emailed). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

27 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Umm, EVERYTHING is missing - because they won’t open up their %^&* beta yet! (And yes I emailed). 

I emailed 2-3 years ago and the US beta was opened to me a week or two back.  So patience, good things will come.

27 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

Peter Philips and the Tallis Scholars.

Both Qobuz and Tidal need to hire true database experts. For example, try searching on Qobuz for Bach Collegium Japan and only a handful of albums are listed. But they are there however are indexed under a variety of artist names. My experience is that one often has to search under a variety of terms to find the desired album.

Yes, it's a colossal mess.  Even Spotify is better, at least they tend to least more of the artists (conductor, ensemble, all soloists individually, etc).  On Qobuz, it seems to be one "artist" chosen for the work, and sometimes that's the conductor, sometimes it's the ensemble.  More irritatingly, they also do linked "artist" names, e.g. Herbert von Karajan and Berliner Philharmoniker.  I think it was the cellist Truls Mørk who is listed with each combination on an album separately, so there are over a dozen "artist" names with him and whatever chamber partner or ensemble.  When trying to find albums that are in my CD collection, I can manage, as I have a very good memory for my 3000 or so CDs.  But for searching to see if there is an interesting gap in my collection, it is useless.  For example, perhaps I'd like to look at every recording featuring the Vienna Philharmonic.  I can try searching under that name, also under Wiener Philharmoniker.  The problem is, many albums don't list the orchestra as an "artist" at all, but are listed with just the conductor as an artist.  Regarding operas, I can guarantee you that far more opera fans will go by the lead soprano than by the conductor or the orchestra.  Yet the vocal soloists are often not listed as artists.  lmao

Qobuz might be the best for classical in the sense that the sound quality is lovely, but their tagging is complete garbage for classical.  I wonder what's going on with that IDAGIO streaming service.  Qobuz search is essentially like doing a google search, where one might have to know a subject fairly well to obtain a useful result.  They need to have it work more like arkivmusic.com than amazon.

So with their lousy tagging and searching, it's hard to compare how full Qobuz's classical catalogue is compared to Spotify, for example.  Sound, of course, is much better in Qobuz than Spotify, but Qobuz seems to have issues with gapless playback, so it's not worth paying more for better sound that keeps getting interrupted while trying to play a whole opera for example.  I'll just use my CDs if they can't get that right.  I guess I'll see if it's working again today, yesterday I couldn't get anything on Qobuz to play gaplessly.

9 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

On Qobuz, it seems to be one "artist" chosen for the work, and sometimes that's the conductor, sometimes it's the ensemble.  More irritatingly, they also do linked "artist" names, e.g. Herbert von Karajan and Berliner Philharmoniker.  I think it was the cellist Truls Mørk who is listed with each combination on an album separately, so there are over a dozen "artist" names with him and whatever chamber partner or ensemble.

I've seen these on non-classical recordings as well, especially the latter.  Definitely something we want to bring to Qobuz' attention.  Perhaps the linked names are their way of allowing searches on associated musicians, orchestras, etc., but there must be a way to do this that doesn't make searches on the major artist a pain.

It's not a deal breaker for me, personally, as I know what I want and will find it haha! 

However, I'm mostly using the trial to evaluate Qobuz as an option for family and friends who will never amass a wonderful collection like I have on CD, and they are not adept at searching or knowing what to search for.  As it stands, I'd have to make playlists for them and share those.  That's a lot of work in order for them to be able to have a virtual music collection to match my physical one.  I also don't want my email address on playlists I share, in case one of my friends or family decide they want to share one of my lists publicly at some point lol, so I hope they fix the user name issue on the U.S. platform!

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that there's no Robert Ashley. Also no Zoviet*France, which is less surprising. 

Well, at least they aren't ramming music I hate down my throat. 

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

On 1/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, sockpit said:

Andris Nelsons’ three recent recordings of Shostakovich with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  They are stunning SQ, and Qobuz in Great Britain has them in the catalogue.  I’d like em on this side of the pond,

This could be a deal breaker 😉

Qobuz shows this as available on 2/21/2019

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

9 hours ago, sockpit said:

Thanks.  Can I ask where you found that?  

On the Qobuz site when I searched and clicked on the album

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects

2 hours ago, jhwalker said:

This isn't a specific album, but ...

I'd love to see a true listing of ALL new releases by genre, not just what they choose to "select" for me :P

Right now, I'm not seeing ANY new releases on the Classical front page, but I've received email from several other sources (e.g., HDTracks, Presto Classical, ProStudio Masters, etc.) highlighting several new releases I'd like to check out on Qobuz.  Yes, I could search for each of them individually, but why can't I just select "Classical", "New Releases" and get a LIST of everything available in descending date order?

Hopefully, as Qobuz works its way through the Beta process towards a 1.0 version, these types of issues will get resolved.  I agree with you and would love to see a list of new Classical releases on the front page.  Right now, I do a lot of searching.

9 hours ago, cgiammona said:

On the Qobuz site when I searched and clicked on the album

Thanks. When I search there for “Boston Shostakovich” I get one hit for the forthcoming album, but no hits for the recent two in the same series, one of which is the dark 10th, the SQ of which is stunning thanks to the BSOs recording studio in the concert hall.

So far Qobuz USA is missing a good number of my favorites on Qobuz in England. Another example: Ryan Adams, Fire and Rain.

A more complete Tower of Power discography, including their newest album, Soul Side of Town.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, phosphorein said:

Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat.

Every audio store in existence had a copy of this back in the day.  :)