IGNORED

What Can't You Find on Qobuz USA Yet That You'd Like to See?

The last time I searched, they had nothing from either the HeadsUp International label (distributed by Telarc), or Mack Avenue Records, who is signing a crap ton of popular jazz artists over the past several years.  I will never let Tidal in my house again, but at least they had some of these Mack Ave. releases.  

Oddly, I'm finding missing albums in quite a few places--they'll have an entire catalog by an artist, but there will often be one very popular album that isn't shown.  Or in an example like Supertramp (not a big fan, but a good example nonetheless), two versions of Breakfast In America and a few other minor albums are listed, but there's no Crime Of The Century?

What I am finding that is highly disturbing are those grey-market releases flooding in from Europe (?) that are not legitimate label releases.  Those are the albums that have the cheap looking knockoff cover art (take a look at Bill Evans or Miles Davis on Amazon, some of their most popular albums, and you'll see what I mean).  What bothers me are that these grey market releases are technically legal because of copyright in the country of release, but people are buying them (who don't know any better), and quality is often poor.  

Or I found one album that is completely mislabeled.  If you search for Henry Mancini, you'll see a release that appears to be a Hi-Res release of the Music from Peter Gunn and More Music from Peter Gunn, but upon listening, it is actually the later film soundtrack for Gunn...Number One!.  I asked Qobuz, but they say that they rely on their supplier to provide the correct information to them.  Here is the culprit (compare to Gunn...Number One! on Discogs and it'll make sense):

image.png.88b50982ceb71667a5dc2ef61d362b64.png

Another thing I would like to see on Qobuz are some competent artist/band overviews.  Apparently some of this stuff is coming in from last.fm and appears to be crowdsourced (something I've always been strongly against...like *#cough#* Wikipedia *#cough#*) --a couple of artists I read about had profiles filled with factual errors, and many are poorly written with gross grammatical errors.  They really need to fix this.  Perhaps being headquartered in France, they don't quite understand this type of complaint, which is understandable.  Yet the poor data makes them look bad.  

Wasn't one of the Qobuz team a member of this forum? I hope they are reading this thread.  I extended my trial by a (paid) month as I had a new digital component coming in that I wanted to try it with, but I will probably cancel for a while until they get the rest of the catalog up to speed, and I decide if I'm going with Roon or not.  What I hear so far is way better than some of the crippled (watermarked) files that Tidal was streaming, so it's promising.

More  5.1 multichannel content.

And some type of documentation somewhere please on the expected software/hardware configurations for playback.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

5 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Roadhouses & Automobiles

Majority of Cassandra Wilson's albums are missing, along with Patricia Barber's.  Barber's albums are missing on all the other stream systems also, so it might be not available at all.

Although the Cassandra Wilson albums they do have are those I like best.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Roadhouses & Automobiles

Majority of Cassandra Wilson's albums are missing, along with Patricia Barber's.  Barber's albums are missing on all the other stream systems also, so it might be not available at all.

I have ten Patricia Barber albums available to me via Qobuz in the UK, so it seems like a local issue for you. It might be a licensing issue, or it might just be that you need a bit of patience while USA stuff gets populated.

9 hours ago, goon525 said:

I have ten Patricia Barber albums available to me via Qobuz in the UK, so it seems like a local issue for you. It might be a licensing issue, or it might just be that you need a bit of patience while USA stuff gets populated.

I see 11 in US but none of the ones that I care about are available like Cafe Blue, Modern Cool, Companion, etc, but that seems to be the case with Spotify also.

For Cassandra Wilson the album that I would like added is Dance to the Drums Again.

I'm frustrated by numerous titles that have grayed-out tracks (I read that is a licensing issue) or are listed as hi-res but playback at 16/44.1.

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

Oh my... no Brian Bromberg albums! 

Thankfully, I have a purchased copy of 'Full Circle' (my favorite) in my Roon library. But the others that I'd saved via my now defunct Tidal subscription...🙁

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

37 minutes ago, Da Horsey said:

The brilliant album Charles Lloyd & the Marvels & Lucinda Williams was available in the UK. 

Here in the US, there are only three separate cuts available from their album.

Hope that gap can be filled. 

Off the album, "Vanished Gardens." 

• 2 weeks later...

Some krautrock is missing over Tidal: La Dusseldorf, Neu! The Soul Jazz comps. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 1 month later...

Second the vote to add the Mack Avenue catalog. Very good jazz, good quality recordings.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...