IGNORED

Qobuz streaming MQA CD's?

crenca

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Even if you don't stream any MQA titles, a part of your subscription fee will still go those labels as long as someone does.

Yes. Publicizing as widely as possible the list and the objections to MQA from both an audio and market control standpoint would be a good thing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 minutes ago, rickca said:

If the major labels do it there will hardly be anything non-MQA left to stream/download and a subscription would have no value.

Yes, we may be left with no choice. I would like to try as long as possible a strategy to reward companies that want to provide real Redbook and hi res streaming, while at the same time letting them know the objections to MQA.  It's the same as anything else I suppose - you try persuasion, and if your pleas fall on deaf ears, you stop patronizing them.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, dmackta said:

I would encourage you to also investigate this issue directly with the labels who appear to be providing these files in lieu of redbook CD audio. 

Absolutely.  I don't know if Qobuz would be willing to engage in an interchange of that information with people on this forum, but it might be something to consider.

42 minutes ago, psjug said:

Why do they care about redbook format for files that are streamed or downloaded?

For tiered streaming plans that don't offer higher than 16/44.1 or /48 resolution.

1 hour ago, psjug said:

I guess, but what service would that be?  It seems like a very stupid compromise if that's the reason.

For example, the Qobuz Hi-Fi tier gives access to RedBook quality streams.  So if 2L wants to make its product available to subscribers at that tier, they need something either in 16/44.1 resolution, or that looks like it is, such as MQA.  I'd much prefer the former, but 2L has at least for the time being chosen the latter.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Yes, but is that acceptable to Qobuz?  Looking forward to their coming announcement.

Me too.  I am wondering what there may be in the way of contractual provisions affecting freedom of decision (for example, some monetary penalty if Qobuz drops 2L - I don't know what the contractual arrangements are, just tossing out a hypothetical).

4 hours ago, psjug said:

I see what you are saying.  But Qobuz would be the only example with that structure, right?  Whereas Deezer and Tidal tiers with 16/44 also go higher resolution (unofficially in the case of Deezer).

I think I recall Tidal having higher than 16/44.1 resolution that isn't MQA, but I don't wish to support that (and wasn't impressed with Tidal's sound quality in general).  I'll take what you say about Deezer at face value, though if it's unofficial I suppose they may not have the number and variety of hi res selections Qobuz does.  I also seem to recall another streaming service or two, but geared toward classical.

So my preference is Qobuz, and it's up to you and everyone else whether you think the number and variety of hi res tracks they offer is worth the extra money.  (There are also the discounted downloads with Sublime+ to consider.)

29 minutes ago, crenca said:

Much could be said here, and I do appreciate the transparency.  That said it still makes you an MQA streaming partner, at least from a consumer point of view.  Also since this is a small label with just a few dozen titles, why not stand your ground and just not host their content?  Why allow them to force you into a situation where you are streaming lossy/compressed content over and against your entire market position strategy?

OTOH, folks will be able to hear what MQA content sounds like in comparison to the other stuff.  To my ears, this comparison was not favorable to MQA.

9 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

This campaign sounds a bit like mob rule from where I sit. Why should Qobuz be bullied by a vocal minority? Effective campaign though guys, good job.

I suppose the “campaign” (asking people who would like to preserve lossless RedBook as an option to vote with their dollars) results will determine whether these folks are a minority, or the majority of 2L’s customer base for non-hi-rez.  Until then it seems rather premature to characterize how large a proportion of customers they comprise.

4 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

It seems like a vocal minority to me. Walks like a duck...

You of course having access to 2L’s sales information, and the ability to predict how those sales will be affected in the future.... 🙄

1 minute ago, Tintinabulum said:

Sorry to disturb the love in. I thought CA was about music, not ranting minority audiophile campaigns. It is just people who don't share your views who are unwelcome or are there other forms of discrimination coming in here? 

Minority, discrimination... sure you didn’t take a wrong turn on the way to a political discussion?

5 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

This isn't about 2l's sales, it's about a minority anti MQA campaign.

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."  :D

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@David Craff 

Any idea what the above means? I'm not familiar with Phonofile or The Orchard.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/the-orchard-bolsters-distribution-might-europe-finetunes-phonofile-acquisition/

• 2 weeks later...

They're getting MQA from the 2L Scandinavian boutique jazz label for the CD resolution tier, but not for higher resolutions, as I understand it. 2L is the only label I am aware of that is doing this. Qobuz says they will label it clearly as MQA (I don't know when).