IGNORED

What is "McIntosh sound"?

coot

Interesting thread that talks about it, https://www.stereophile.com/content/can-you-describe-mcintosh-sound-i-dont-mean-apple-macs-1.

I appreciated the "counter example",

If you want absolutely perfect sound reproduction from 20 HZ to 20Khz, with incredible realism and tonal purity and bass so realistic it has to be heard to believe it, listen to the newest Bryston power amp, the $3500 3B-SST2. I think it is the best power amplifier I have ever personally heard, and that includes a number of highly-rated amps costing over $6000 that can't touch it!

That pretty well nails it - anything less than this is not doing your listening pleasure any favours ...

On 1/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, coot said:

Every so often I read comments referencing this but without any description of what it is. Comments welcome.

I will relate an anecdote to answer that. A few years ago, when Martin-Logan released their CLX electrostatic speakers, I went some distance to an M-L dealer to hear them the first day they were available. The M-L "guy" was there and he and the store staff had spent the day setting them up optimally. I thought (and still do) that they were the best sounding, most accurate speakers that I had ever heard. They were being powered by a pair of Classe mono block amps. 

Sometime later, I heard that our local Magnolia Hi-Fi (Best Buy) had a pair of CLXs in their local store. so I grabbed an audiophile buddy and we went to hear them. They had them set-up in their largest showroom and had them working in concert with a pair of 15" M-L subwoofers. The CLX's were being powered by a pair of McIntosh MC301 solid-state mono-block amps. 

The speakers sounded terrible! They were mushy, ill-defined and somewhat distorted. I listed for a few moments unable to understand how anybody could make such a perfect pair of transducers as the CLXs sound so bad. The only part of the system that sounded OK was the bass which was being powered by the two subs' own amps. I left the room after a few minutes and went to another room where I heard a pair of of M-L's hybrid ESLs (I don't remember the model, but the attendant said they were about $15K a a pair. They were the previous generation, not the current generation) driven, by, of all things, a Marantz Integrated. The sound was much better than the in the CLX room. It didn't go as deep, of course, but the sound was clean and tight with good transients, unlike in the CLX room. 

The problem, I suspect, is McIntosh's insistence on using transformers (they call them "Autotransformers") in their amplifiers. One of the advantages that SS designs might have over their tube counterparts, is that they eliminate transformers! Clearly, the M-L CLX's didn't like them!

I would be wary of buying SS amps with transformers, my current speakers might be OK them, but what if I decided to buy another speaker that don't like the "autotransformers in the output stage of my amp? 

George

22 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I will relate an anecdote to answer that. A few years ago, when Martin-Logan released their CLX electrostatic speakers, I went some distance to an M-L dealer to hear them the first day they were available. The M-L "guy" was there and he and the store staff had spent the day setting them up optimally. I thought (and still do) that they were the best sounding, most accurate speakers that I had ever heard. They were being powered by a pair of Classe mono block amps. 

Sometime later, I heard that our local Magnolia Hi-Fi (Best Buy) had a pair of CLXs in their local store. so I grabbed an audiophile buddy and we went to hear them. They had them set-up in their largest showroom and had them working in concert with a pair of 15" M-L subwoofers. The CLX's were being powered by a pair of McIntosh MC301 solid-state mono-block amps. 

The speakers sounded terrible! They were mushy, ill-defined and somewhat distorted. I listed for a few moments unable to understand how anybody could make such a perfect pair of transducers as the CLXs sound so bad. The only part of the system that sounded OK was the bass which was being powered by the two subs' own amps. I left the room after a few minutes and went to another room where I heard a pair of of M-L's hybrid ESLs (I don't remember the model, but the attendant said they were about $15K a a pair. They were the previous generation, not the current generation) driven, by, of all things, a Marantz Integrated. The sound was much better than the in the CLX room. It didn't go as deep, of course, but the sound was clean and tight with good transients, unlike in the CLX room. 

The problem, I suspect, is McIntosh's insistence on using transformers (they call them "Autotransformers") in their amplifiers. One of the advantages that SS designs might have over their tube counterparts, is that they eliminate transformers! Clearly, the M-L CLX's didn't like them!

I would be wary of buying SS amps with transformers, my current speakers might be OK them, but what if I decided to buy another speaker that don't like the "autotransformers in the output stage of my amp? 

Veiled.....autoformers....

1 hour ago, Nordkapp said:

With all due respect....how does something sound "reliable, proven, historic, durable?

Durable I am not really too sure of, but reliable, proven, and historic means you know what you're getting when you buy a piece of McIntosh gear. That's how I see it anyway.

No electron left behind.

17 hours ago, Rexp said:

Mcintosh solid state amps used to have an overly warm sound years ago, they're pretty neutral now, not sure exactly when things improved. 

I know with their latest round of new gear they made a real effort to up the quality of both the sound and parts inside.

No electron left behind.