IGNORED

Relative importance of differences in stereo systems

When stereo music is playing from various systems and rooms it comes in all colors and colorations. It's the same thing with live musicians and opera singers and blues players and pianists and symphony orchestras and jazz bands.

Three films three music styles ...

• A Star Is Born

• Green Book

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Which one is "BLING" and not?

On 1/13/2019 at 11:06 AM, 4est said:

here just isn't enough multichannel material for me to wreck my living spaces with even more speakers.

Oh Lord, I never thought I'd hear an audiophile declare more gear would "wreck his living spaces"  😲

That's more of a WAF commnent than the boss of a man cave.  :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

18 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

"WAF" - English please?

Wife Acceptance Factor.  ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

But why address me in a responso to STC's comment?

...because of your reaction to my comment on STC's statement that "...[t]o be an audiophile you need to have high end equipment", specifically :

19 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am commited to music and the ability to enjoy it live and at home.  That is consistent with being an audiophile.  There will always be those who see things differently and get their joys in other ways, perhaps.  They are not my concern.

After clinging tightly to my innocence for 7 decades, I had to let it go when confronted with "It was statement to emphazise the importance of room acoustics... Today, audiophile refers to lifestyle and branded equipment despite what they claim to be. Like the Audioquest and Wadia DAC that you are using."  I don't know who "they" are, but they seem not to approve of my equipment choices.

This interchange opened my eyes! I'm with you - I'm wasting my breath and sticking my neck out for no good reason.  It's no longer my concern.  I hope that everyone can and does pursue his or her passions, and that each gets as much pleasure and satisfaction from them as you and I and our wives do from ours. But I will not again intervene - let everyone make his or her choices and live with them.

In fact, you've inspired me to set up MC!  I'd forgotten all about my Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver, which I put in the closet when we sold the house 3 years ago.  The Wolfson 24/192 DACs may not be "audiophile quality" 😉, but they're a start.  I'll find out how important differences in the system are to me as I develop this.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, Teresa said:

have never been to anyone's home which has a dedicated room for music. They either have a stereo or multichannel audio/video system in the living room or in their single room if they live in a studio apartment like me.

I thought only very rich people had separate rooms for video and audio systems. For the rest of us a single system is used for both audio and video. And many of the few I've been in with multichannel systems have the rear speakers setting on top of the front speakers because they don't want wires running along the walls. If one rents an apartment they cannot put wires in the walls. I suppose one could get wireless speakers for the rear. Oh, well. 

Neither have I,  everyone of my acquaintance is in the lower midclass and don't own 13 room 5000+ sq ft homes.

You'd be surprised  how much gear can be tastefully accommodated in a smaller space.

My last home had a very nice 12x20 ft living room. If I placed my listening chair facing north I looked at my stereo rigs equipment rack and speakers along with the shared subwoofer system. Turn the chair 180 and I faced my video system with the TV,  and  the gear for a 5.2 multichannel system. 9 speakers total really wasn't that overwhelming.

I've since decided that multich and stereo can co-exist in a single system.

My current retirement home has a open floor plan with the area dedicated to audio/video being about 12x16.  It houses my 75" Sony and a 5.2.4 multich rig. Again I don't find the gear overwhelming, I actually find it comforting to be surrounded by the pieces of the "hobby" that I love.

I never worried too much about the visible wires, at the floor level, keeping the rear speaker wires tucked into the wall/floor intersection with most of the area hidden by furniture made it completely acceptable to me. Recently when the time came to install the ceiling mounted speakers for a Atmos immersive upgrade I looked for some options to hide the wires best as possible.  I found at my local Lowe's some very inexpensive wire channeling. It comes with two sided tape for attachment to the walls, is white in color but can be painted to match room color, and makes the wire routing all but invisible. There's a bunch of different options along these lines.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-1-Piece-0-5-in-x-60-in-Straight-Channel-Ivory-Cord-Cover/1000282085

16 hours ago, STC said:

Today, audiophile refers to lifestyle and branded equipment despite what they claim to be.

In todays definition of "audiophile" I find it offense to use the term in relation to myself.

To be considered a true audiophile in places such as this site you are expected to believe in the fairy tales such as of the sound of wire and all the rest. To have abandoned science and the use of scientific  methodology to determine that which is "superior or advancing the SOTA".  "Sounds good to me" is all that is required to be taken seriously.  BLAH

Don't fall for the 10 biggest lies in audio.

https://www.ecoustics.com/articles/ten-biggest-lies-audio/

33 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Thank you!  Was that so hard to type out in full?

Sorry, but I don't speak or type in code, like many Millennials do.

Millennnial, me?  LOL

Sorry but just about anyone who's been involved in audio over the last 4 decades or so knows what WAF refers to when it comes to room decor. Maybe your just starting out?

11 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Millennnial, me?  LOL

Sorry but just about anyone who's been involved in audio over the last 4 decades or so knows what WAF refers to when it comes to room decor. Maybe your just starting out?

Nope!  I just tend to speak - and correspond - in full words as much as is practical.  Makes the conversation easier to follow, that's all.

But when I see/hear individuals from my age(late forties) and up communicating in alphabet soup, I find it discouraging and depressing.

22 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Don't be sad, maybe by the time you reach my age, near 70, you'll learn too.

As 70 fades in my rear view mirror, it's clear that the young 'uns can be mighty funny creatures, Sal.  The older they get, the smarter we get.  Just stay in the groove, man' - many will eventually catch on and catch up.

old_couple_dancing.gif.5725e9e580991400334902df50ce7d98.gif

1 hour ago, The_K-Man said:

Nope!  I just tend to speak - and correspond - in full words as much as is practical.  Makes the conversation easier to follow, that's all.

But when I see/hear individuals from my age(late forties) and up communicating in alphabet soup, I find it discouraging and depressing.

Odd for the user named The_K-man to eschew acronyms.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, The_K-Man said:

Nahh.  I'm too conservative when it comes to that stuff.  That acronym sh- is for the under-thirty set.

Yeah, it's FUBAR, but FYI writing out LGBTQ longhand gets old. YMMV.                     

BTW I'd blame the military, not  Millennials, e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_acronyms_and_expressions                

Semper Gumby!                 

As to the relative importance of differences in stereo systems, I'd go with this: once the sound is pretty damn good, thank your lucky stars and listen to more music. There is more great music than any of us will ever get our heads and hearts around and music is what it is about. An exception might be the technophiliac audiophile.

4 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

K-Man contains an actual word, so technically it is not a pure acronym.

It developed out of the inability of many people to correctly pronounce or spell my name. :D

I thought it was in reference to Dave Katz and his K system because of your avatar.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.