IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't like moderation in general. However, there have been more than a few instances where trolls insist on posting their views in threads despite being told by the OP or CC that their posts are inappropriate and/or off topic. I "moderate" their behaviour by placing them on the Ignore List. Unfortunately, if quoted in replies, those posts are still visible. It would be nice if there was a way to hide posts of those on Ignore Lists even when included as a quote.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

FFS, they don't even use Ad Hominem or Logical Fallacy in Parliamentary debates in most countries!

Of course you won't see the terms used during a Parliamentary debate, Alex. They are used to describe the nature of the content of a debate or post; they are not part of the content itself. It is no different from describing a post as a personal attack. You won't see the words "personal attack" in the offending post. Ad hominem is clearly understood to refer to an attack on the person, when a debate is supposed to challenge a person's argument or ideas.

By now you surely know what ad hominem means, so I don't understand why you get upset when someone uses the term appropriately. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Allan

It's too bloody hot here at present to argue about such stupid things.

You didn't answer my question about the use of " Strawman Arguments" in court either.

It's 5°C in Vancouver. BTW, I answered your question in my edited post. The KISS principle generally works, but some people are too thick to understand the simplified version. :)

23 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I don't think the subjects involved here, are anonymous. We know them too well.

We know their forum personalities and pseudonyms, Peter. However, with few exceptions, we don't know who they really are and they prefer it that way in order to continue their offensive behaviour with few, if any, repercussions.

12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I guarantee this headline was written by a Liberal Arts degree holder...

DvmXXvJXgAAjDAh.jpg

It depends on whether the headline editor was aware of and intended the double entendre. If he/she was, I agree with you. If not, it was more likely written by someone with an engineering background. :)

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

It won’t tell me about colorations but I want transparent. I don’t want it to have a sound. I used to think I could trust reviewers but less so now that I have met them and talked them. Too much price hierarchy for my taste.

I my case I’m almost never listening to any music unamplifed. I only want colorations in the speakers. The better word is transparent. Clinical is biased in my view.

If you only listen to amplified music, you cannot possibly tell if it is being reproduced accurately or transparently. Only those present during the recording session are in a position to do that. No DAC or audio component is perfectly neutral and, to at least some extent, every one of them has a sound. Ultimately, what sounds best is subjective.

The late Harry Pearson's definition of the "absolute sound" - the sound of actual acoustic instruments playing in a real space - was an attempt to define an objective standard of comparison for evaluating the sound of audio gear.

My apologies. This belongs in the objectivist/subjectivist thread.

Based on the on-topic posts, in the interests of fairness,  it seems to me that an "appeal court" of some type would be necessary to provide a way to challenge decisions of a moderator if a number of the broad powers suggested by some were granted to one.

The line between moderation and censorship can become a thin one if discretion is not exercised wisely.

4 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Allan, presumably your recent YES vote was influenced by this. You waited quite a long time to cast your vote.

Hi David,

That would be a reasonable inference to be drawn. :)

On 12/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, serendipitydawg said:

"I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be." 
- Isaac Asimov

"At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes - an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counter-intuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. That is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

Moderation will inevitably try & remove all the "most ruthless skeptical scrutiny"

Somehow, I sincerely doubt that Isaac Asimov was referring to individuals who hijack or derail threads because they object to the OP's premise in soliciting opinions, notwithstanding that they are politely asked not to do so. Nor do I believe that Carl Sagan was suggesting that personal attacks serve as a legitimate form of "the most skeptical ruthless scrutiny of all ideas, old and new".

IMO,  your prediction is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the context of the words you quote as they apply to the AS forum.

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don't blame anyone for being concerned that moderators might tend to be harder on viewpoints opposed to their own, because I can't assure anyone that people who aren't even identified yet will be uniformly fair.

That's one reason I suggested some form of moderation by the OP.  Anyone who feels moderation in one thread is unfair can choose others or start their own.

Surely, it depends on the ground rules for moderation. Because of my distaste for censorship, I believe that less is more when it comes to moderation. IMO, however, moderation to address the abuses I cited in my post can hardly be described as unfair, and should be consistently applied. That would be difficult with OPs.

As usual, the devil is in the details.

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

No, we don't disagree at all.  🙂  But that's just fine if you have the choice to avoid those whose moderation you don't like. 

Well, we do as to which is the lesser of the two evils. :) But, that's fine too!

8 hours ago, mansr said:

And now the same people are using the off-topic vote in the same way, as a punishment, although to a lesser extent. The suggestion was to make off-topic votes count against the daily posting quota as a means of deterring such abuse.

A number of OT votes are simply a reaction to those above, with the intent of sending a message to the offender (as in, "If you want to play silly bugger others can do it too; please take the hint and stop it"). I am not suggesting that it is particularly effective, as the initiator is usually too self-absorbed to either get or take the hint.