IGNORED

New Mac Mini as music server?

I currently use a 2012 Mac Mini as a music server. The internal SSD holds the operating system and I have an external firewire drive that holds my music library. I have a Meridian Explorer DAC and use Audirvana for playback.

I am thinking about purchasing a new 3.6GHz quad core Mac Mini to act as a music server and jumping to Roon. I have a few questions

1. The Mac Mini comes with 8GB of RAM but can hold up to 64GB. Is 8GB enough or should I jump to 16GB? This will primarily be a music server but may be used at times for other light tasks.
  2. The internal SSD starts at 128GB but can go 2TB. Should I put my music library on the internal hard drive or on an external drive? If external is fine then I should be able to get by with just the 128GB internal SSD
  3. If I do go with an external drive to hold the music library, spinning disk? SSD? Or does it not make a difference?
  4. If I do go with an external drive to hold the music library, bus powered or should I purchase a drive that has its own power supply? I have read that bus powered might compromise sound quality.
  5. Lastly, I have read that replacing the switching power supply with a linear power supply can provide sonic improvements. Does anyone have experience with this?

Well, the Mac Mini is a so so music server unless you mod it. So I don't see any point in spending hard earned cash on a 'newer' unit. Unless you need more power for say DSD conversion, though I believe the OS is limited to 256 anyway.

A modded Mac Mini can be a good music server on a budget with good flexibility. That is why I still use mine, even though I am looking t whats next. You need to mod your Mac mini with

1. Uptone Audio 12v DC conversion

2. Power it with a nice LPS

3. Run Roon core for your music library and player. I is better sound quality than Audirvana+

4. Strip the OS back, defeat any non critical facilities such as wifi.

5. Use only one USB port for output

6. Use an external firewire drive for your music files (avoid USB bus)

7. Look at ethernet > USB conversion for more isolation from noise

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, HendersonD said:

I am thinking about purchasing a new 3.6GHz quad core Mac Mini to act as a music server and jumping to Roon.

For Roon-only use, that's massively overkill.

Do what RoonLabs does, and get a NUC, or a Nucleus if you aren't comfortable with opening a case up. RoonLabs' recommended higher-end configuration, which will give you the same horsepower as a Nucleus+, is $500-ishAdd $100 or so and a bit of time if you want a passive case.

If your server is isolated from your Roon endpoint, the PSU, in all likelihood, will not make a difference (and neither will anything else). I don't know how well the Meridian USB dacs are designed, but there's about a gazillion USB Roon endpoints at all price points that'll allow you to cleanly separate computer and playback, which is what music servers are about after all.

The Mac Mini comes with 8GB of RAM but can hold up to 64GB. Is 8GB enough or should I jump to 16GB? This will primarily be a music server but may be used at times for other light tasks.

That's a different premise than your opening paragraph. Which is it ? What's a "light task" ? If you didn't intend on selling it, would your current mini suffice for said "light tasks" ?

The internal SSD starts at 128GB but can go 2TB. Should I put my music library on the internal hard drive or on an external drive? If external is fine then I should be able to get by with just the 128GB internal SSD

If using ROCK, then it's one drive for library, one drive for music. And yeah, external is fine, you don't want to pay Apple SSD tax anyway.

• If I do go with an external drive to hold the music library, spinning disk? SSD? Or does it not make a difference?

If you count in the fact a SSD is perfectly silent, because no moving parts, then there's a difference.

If I do go with an external drive to hold the music library, bus powered or should I purchase a drive that has its own power supply? I have read that bus powered might compromise sound quality.

One thing that *might* create an audible issue is a really crappy external supply feeding crap back into your mains.

Some people in the toy-buying hobby that is audiophilia believe that a room without strategically placed stones, or a CD without green marker, compromise sound quality. Some are quite shrill about it. Do according to your belief system, but also do understand there's quite a bit of engineering behind computer science, that music (even DSD) is light usage by contemporary standards, and that if data coming off a(n external) drive were affected by bus powering or not, you'd have much more serious issues to worry about than sound quality.

5 hours ago, isosound said:

Thanks for your info.

I  also think to go for the new Mac Mini as audio server. However, some comments on compromised sound make me not sure.
But the next step in price for a real Audio PC is 3 times the price for a Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. Am I right ?

You need to be aware the Mac Mini as base is no better than a PC base, but is still better than a Laptop with it's screen and compromised space.

To get the Mac Mini to be really special you have to buy and install the Uptone Audio MMK board kit, and then you can power the Mac Mini with an Linear Power supply.This takes it up to a completely different level I found. 

I also recommend to run Roon on it as well, it beats Audirvana+ V3 and Pure Music, Amarra and the others I have tried.

Store you music on an external firewire drive, and use USB output to your DAC, i.e. use USB for only the music output. 

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

2 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

To get the Mac Mini to be really special you have to buy and install the Uptone Audio MMK board kit, and then you can power the Mac Mini with an Linear Power supply.This takes it up to a completely different level I found. 

I also recommend to run Roon on it as well, it beats Audirvana+ V3 and Pure Music, Amarra and the others I have tried.

Be aware that the Uptone kit does not work so far with the new Mini.

Some others have found that A+ is superior to Roon.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

5 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The claim that you need to modify a mac mini in any way is simply false.  

No one has ever produced any measurements or even proper double-blind listening tests to establish the veracity of the claim that any of the various modifications make any improvements.

Giving a new person this kind of subjective opinion as if it were established and universally accepted fact is totally irresponsible.

If you note, I said 'I found' and 'recommend' I can tell you from my own research on this over 2 years, and having had 2 mac minis with out without the mod, plus I installed the mod myself, that I stand by my 'opinion' But if you know better WITHOUT any such testing yourself....

It is all about noise, and any computer is stuffed full of it. SMPS are a disaster for audio, even inject nose back down the  line to other audio gear. My advice to you sir, is go buy a Mac Mini, apply the mods, then come back. Then you too will have some knowledge on this subject (on the Mac Mini). Check out the Uptone Audio thread on this forum, plenty of other folk agree with the mods having a big effect.

4 minutes ago, wgscott said:

@astrostar59

Funny, I don't see any of your disclaimers in any of these bold statements (pun intended).  The claim about SMPS being a disaster is also unestablished folklore.

You are right, however, that I did not know about your research.  Can you give us links to the journals in which it was published?

Spreading this kind of fake news as fact puts people off of the hobby, especially those who are new and possibly don't have unlimited incomes to squander on improvements from the land of make-believe.

I would counter that by saying SMPS are not bad for audio, re noise. I  think you need to do some more homework, and instead of looking for 'journals' use your ears. Ask others who have swapped them out for LPS or battery. Really this is dead basic stuff, I kind believe I am having to talk about it TBH. 

As for 'journals' we all know how they told us delta-sigma sounded better, because it shows in the measurements....

2 minutes ago, astrostar59 said:

I would counter that by saying SMPS are not bad for audio, re noise.

I agree with what you wrote here.  But I doubt that is what you meant to type.

As for the rest,

Your opinion ≠ fact

Repeating dogma and chastising others for being uninformed simply because we don't put on our MAGA hat and chant "lock her up" in blind obedience only establishes one thing.

The OP asked for advice I offered my advice, I am no way saying it is fact. BUT to my ears and my 2 year tests it worked well for me. I don't spend any money on audio unless I absolutely have to. I don't do anything to my system to make it worse. I do not regard 'journals' as helping me find better sound.

Back to my posts, I did in fact want to say SMPS is bad for audio, yet you claim it isn't????? Odd. Lets get back to sharing our opinions and experiences, that is what I am doing. I am not going all 'journal' or accusational. Too much of that in politics.

I would NEVER chastise anyone lookijg for advice. Believe me, I have been round the audio merry go round and have appreciated much of the advice I have got along the way. But I go back to my advice, the Mac Mini is basic without the mod, so don't buy it and leave it at that. Buy a music server instead. Or buy the Mac Mini, do the mods and enjoy...

Sirs, thanks for your suggestions and care.

I was traveling last night and was not able to follow up your discussion on this modification.

Hope you agree finally :) Appreciate both of your willingness to help.

I was thinking on the Mac Mini just because it has no that many unnecessary components what a notebook has.

I visited the Up Tone Audio site and seems the mod is a Fan Controller. They claim to fit for the 2014 model but no reference for the 2018 one.

As far as the Innous ZEN I do not see a significant price difference to the Mac Mini...

1 hour ago, isosound said:

Sirs, thanks for your suggestions and care.

I was traveling last night and was not able to follow up your discussion on this modification.

Hope you agree finally :) Appreciate both of your willingness to help.

I was thinking on the Mac Mini just because it has no that many unnecessary components what a notebook has.

I visited the Up Tone Audio site and seems the mod is a Fan Controller. They claim to fit for the 2014 model but no reference for the 2018 one.

As far as the Innous ZEN I do not see a significant price difference to the Mac Mini...

That's the point. For about the same price, why not buy a dedicated music server with ripper, rather than a computer serving as a server?

1 hour ago, isosound said:

The mod is both a DC conversion and a fan controller.  The fan controller modification is optional, as the kit can be used for the DC power conversion only.  If the power connectors are unchanged from earlier versions, the power only conversion would possibly still be workable.  However with the new cooling design shown in the teardown, my guess is the fan controller mod might not be possible with the current conversion kit.

If you are interested in this conversion, I suggest that you contact Uptone, either via their website, or via their sponsored forum here, and get their opinion on the viability of their current conversion kit with the new Minis.    With the Mini being newly released, my guess is that Uptone hasn't taken a look at this yet.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

The older MacMini has too many components in close proximity, coupling noise to each other too easily. With the newer high powered designs, there's going to be more noise and why pay for noise?

Agree with @Indydan, there are better alternatives in dedicated servers these days. The only need for a computer is to download new music, correct metadata, organise file structures and to find new music that you like, not forced. For that purpose anything other than a new MacMini is fine.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I did purchase the new Mac Mini and may take a look at replacing the power supply once one becomes available for the new design. I agree that it would be nice to have some objective measurements of a Mac Mini before and after this modification to see how it affects sound quality. I have been following various sound and home theater forums for years along with many different print and digital publications. There are certainly objective measurements offered at times but often it is subjective descriptions that carry the day.

The new Mac Mini does not have firewire, Apple abandoned it years ago. The new Mac Mini has USB-C and USB-A connections.

13 hours ago, wgscott said:

Agree odd review, and no mention of it's suitability to audio (high end) use. I spoke to Sonore and they told me the more powerful Intel chips produced later on (Mac and PC) can inject more noise by the very nature of how they work. Plus more heat of course. You don't need more chip speed unless you are converting PCM to 256 DSD for example. 

I need to decide what to do if my 2015 Mac Mini blow up. Probably get a dedicated one box music server that can run Roon. The Roon Nucleus+ looks interesting. If Roon advance that a bit more, maybe....