IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

5 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

How does someone else's fawning over expensive gear give us any insight in your definition of the term you've been using?

Note, the obsession about gear being expensive is a key part of the response.

Though, we all know Ferraris, say, are only worthwhile as a vehicle because they cost so much - in truth, as a car they are pretty ordinary, really ...

10 minutes ago, STC said:

Looks like the Philips nor the Sharp ever produced the magical sound. Then somewhere in between he gave the impression that the laptop speakers was capable of it. 

Well, it's true you're highly impressionable, ST ... 😉.

11 minutes ago, Allan F said:

How about sound that creates the false illusion of being of good quality? :)

How about sound that never betrays the mechanism that is creating an aural illusion in the space you're listening to it in?

Solved!!!

The magic did not happen with Philip HT or Sharp. It stopped there. Is this a case of someone missing a better system. Wonder why you are not persuading the with the same equipment?

——————————

ST, it doesn't help when you get the story completely mucked up - JBC means nothing to me ... the rig 35 years ago was a Yamaha CDP, Perreaux power amp, B&W bookshelfs ... current rig is NAD CDP,  NAD integrated, Sharp speakers ... okay?

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

nearly all rigs display distortion anomalies, quite disturbing at times

I am still unclear as to what you mean by this.  Can you describe or explain what type of anomalies you are referring to specifically, in particular the more common types of distortion that disturb you?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

10 hours ago, STC said:

Typo- meant to ask why didn’t he pursue with the same system. 

Life happens ... 🙂.

A combination of getting incredibly frustrated, at the time, because I couldn't control and maintain that peak quality - it wasn't stable; and then a channel of the Perreaux went, and then a mid/bass driver of the B&Ws went bad. Yes, all things that can be accounted for, and fixed, etc - but it prompted me to move on; I decided to try other routes.

9 hours ago, Jeff_N said:

You guys gotta understand, he desperately needs to convince you, and himself, that by spending his whole life tweaking his "rig" he gets better sound than all those silly rich people do with their $100K systems. He adjusts this and that, and just like 35 years ago, suddenly it all "clicked," it just "sounded right," it was like the "scales fell from his eyes," the speakers "disappeared," and the quote button on his keyboard "got stuck."

What I'm annoyed about is that the $100K systems sound like $10,000, $1,000, even $100 ... depending what recording is put on - a system that's working right doesn't do this ... I prefer the consistency achieved with my methods, 🙂.

8 hours ago, Confused said:

I am still unclear as to what you mean by this.  Can you describe or explain what type of anomalies you are referring to specifically, in particular the more common types of distortion that disturb you?

Later today, gotta head out.

8 hours ago, Confused said:

Eh?  I would say if you look at the majority of posts on this site, most people are tying to achieve the best possible sound within a limited budget.  There is always significant interest in something that is low cost but great for sound quality.

That's what I would assume - but look at the flak I cop for suggesting this ... take George, yelling at me that I'm stupid for thinking that budget gear can produce sound that "only the best components" can do ...

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Life happens ... 🙂.

A combination of getting incredibly frustrated, at the time, because I couldn't control and maintain that peak quality - it wasn't stable; and then a channel of the Perreaux went, and then a mid/bass driver of the B&Ws went bad. Yes, all things that can be accounted for, and fixed, etc - but it prompted me to move on; I decided to try other routes.

Why didn't you just buy a couple new drivers from B&W you Cheapskate. Your still putzing around with junk. 

14 minutes ago, STC said:

Now you are are talking like a typical audiophile. It is a normal behavior to find that your system not to sound optimum and lacking once your initial euphoria of getting a new toy is gone. 

Dr Augus Bowes identified this as audio neurosis in 1957. It is your brain reminding you that the stereo sound is not natural.  

Well recorded Stereo can sound very good indeed. However if recorded in say Dolby Surround, then down converted to Stereo, a good system can extract quite a good Surround sensation from just 2 stereo speakers, including with movies such as Avatar and many others, as well as quite a few Video performances such as The Eagles- Hell Freezes Over, and some from Queen such as The Game .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020