IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

4 hours ago, Confused said:

To be fair, "can be played at any volume" and "a total ease in the listening" could be two items listed on a checklist to be ticked off.

But I am curious, what things do you think are on the audiophile's check list but not on yours?

I would say that every audiophile has a different list, 😉 ... how about, that some new rig that he comes across makes all the recordings that he considers, "good recordings", to come across just they do on his own system - only ..."better" ! - so, if he likes bass, that the bass is even more intense ; if he likes imaging, that the sharpness of the imaging is now even more precise; and so on, and so on ... 🙂.

That is, he wants a more upmarket version of exactly what he has now. By contrast, I want each recording to be more distinctly itself; that the contrast between the successive tracks of compilations, or from one album to the next, is ever more striking.

21 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, that type of thing. Even on the laptop speakers you can hear that the surface noise is in "another space" - the voice is clear and full; the piano is cleanly picked up ... would you believe I once played a track of hers like this so loudly that the amplifier shut down, because the constant power of a single, long held note overheated the unit, and it went into protection mode ... probably not, 😉.

I have lurked for a long time and read many of your posts.  They are hard to avoid.

This recording sounds appalling.  It has massive distortion. It has massive noise.  It covers a limited range of sound only in the mid range.  It has poor pitch stability.

No hifi or tweaks can fix the problems in this recording or make it sound good.  

What you describe hearing is departed from reality. 

4 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Yes.  I decided it wasn’t a good contribution to the thread, so its gone. Actually the thread really needs closing down given that nothing has been agreed or resolved in 115 pages and now seems to be on repeat. 

Just send @The Computer Audiophile a message

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, Jaydon said:

I have lurked for a long time and read many of your posts.  They are hard to avoid.

This recording sounds appalling.  It has massive distortion. It has massive noise.  It covers a limited range of sound only in the mid range.  It has poor pitch stability.

No hifi or tweaks can fix the problems in this recording or make it sound good.  

What you describe hearing is departed from reality. 

I played one of those tracks on the system that was current, many years ago, to a group of audio enthusiasts - no-one looked at me as if I was insane, 🙂; one commented that he found the noisiness difficult to handle, which is fair enough.

Turns out that the brain is a remarkable thing - if it hears something which is interesting, it works hard, unconsciously, to make sense of it - it's not a dumb lump of meat which has to cope with what it's fed, and react badly to every negative aspect. Now, not every brain is able to do this, but the majority of them seem to be capable of doing this - the downside is that utmost fidelity is required, so that all the detail which is related to the underlying sound event is clearly heard - otherwise, it will sound awful.

5 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Yes.  I decided it wasn’t a good contribution to the thread, so its gone. Actually the thread really needs closing down given that nothing has been agreed or resolved in 115 pages and now seems to be on repeat. 

That's a shame ... missed all the responses to that post, which would have been interesting to read.

Just now, Racerxnet said:

And so?????

Just an example of recordings which are marginal in their technical quality - which can very easily sound 'orrible; but if replayed very accurately, fully and satisfyingly present all the qualities that matter - the artistry and musicianship of the people involved.

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Just an example of recordings which are marginal in their technical quality - which can very easily sound 'orrible; but if replayed very accurately, fully and satisfyingly present all the qualities that matter - the artistry and musicianship of the people involved.

Oh wow. 

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It sounds horrible.  I appreciate the art, but the sound is awful.  It remains awful on whatever playback system with whatever tweaks.  You are delusional if you think system tweaks can make it sound better.