IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

Just now, Jaydon said:

It sounds horrible.  I appreciate the art, but the sound is awful.  It remains awful on whatever playback system with whatever tweaks.  You are delusional.

Which is my point. The YT version sounds poorer, but what I have is that precise capture - the bravado of the backing band can rip your ears off ... but get the reproduction spot on, and the miracle happens - the power and energy of the performance works its magic. If you have not experienced a setup that is sufficiently refined to pull it off, then you will probably never understand what's going on ...

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is my point. The YT version sounds poorer, but what I have is that precise capture - the bravado of the backing band can rip your ears off ... but get the reproduction spot on, and the miracle happens - the power and energy of the performance works its magic. If you have not experienced a setup that is sufficiently refined to pull it off, then you will probably never understand what's going on ...

This has never been your point.  It's never just been about appreciating the art.  You have repeatedly said it's about improving the system with tweaks which suddenly then make the sound quality great and realistic.

No one else can understand your delusions. They are a product of your illness.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

You bought some 400.00 speakers, pulled them out of the cardboard box and think you have something special going on. Priceless or mindless. 

Just now, Jaydon said:

This has never been your point.  It's never just been about appreciating the art.  You have repeatedly said it's about improving the system with tweaks which suddenly then make the sound quality great and realistic.

The art is always there. Irrespective. Unless they're lousy musicians 😁.

What happens is that, subjectively, none of the downsides of the sound quality matter - you "hear through" those factors. It sounds realistic, because you are picking up all the cues that what you are hearing is being made by real people, real instruments.

Just now, Racerxnet said:

You bought some 400.00 speakers, pulled them out of the cardboard box and think you have something special going on. Priceless or mindless. 

Right, we're back to, "It has to be really expensive, or made by a really special company!" territory again, are we?

13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The art is always there. Irrespective. Unless they're lousy musicians 😁.

What happens is that, subjectively, none of the downsides of the sound quality matter - you "hear through" those factors. It sounds realistic, because you are picking up all the cues that what you are hearing is being made by real people, real instruments.

We all appreciate the art.  That's not the endlessly repetitive point you have been making. You have been saying that the sound quality of awful recordings can be fixed by tweaks. None of the recordings you show sound realistic. You are deluded if you think they do.

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, we're back to, "It has to be really expensive, or made by a really special company!" territory again, are we?

Nope, just someone who has deluded himself into thinking what he has is superior or special to the other 30,000 sets of edifiers out there. You aint got nothing going on with them that others have not already accomplished. You always have the same fallback excuse of other peoples choices they make.  The Edifiers aren't making a silk purse from a sows ass. Give it up. 

5 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

Nope, just someone who has deluded himself into thinking what he has is superior or special to the other 30,000 sets of edifiers out there. You aint got nothing going on with them that others have not already accomplished. You always have the same fallback excuse of other peoples choices they make.  

When FAS watches black and white films he sees them in color.

Just now, Racerxnet said:

Nope, just someone who has deluded himself into thinking what he has is superior or special to the other 30,000 sets of edifiers out there. You aint got nothing going on with them that others have not already accomplished. You always have the same fallback excuse of other peoples choices they make.  

And you seem unable to understand the importance of knowledgeable tweaking - just doing the "usual things" doesn't guarantee anything. As I have said many times, it's an iterative process; sorting all the key weaknesses, until an adequate SQ emerges.

As a guide, the Edifiers currently have no trouble completely disappearing as the source of the sound, wherever you happen to stand - until you get to a couple of feet directly in front of one of them. That's the sort of standard you need to get to, for the type of sound I talk of to occur.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And you seem unable to understand the importance of knowledgeable tweaking - just doing the "usual things" doesn't guarantee anything. As I have said many times, it's an iterative process; sorting all the key weaknesses, until an adequate SQ emerges.

As a guide, the Edifiers currently have no trouble completely disappearing as the source of the sound, wherever you happen to stand - until you get to a couple of feet directly in front of one of them. That's the sort of standard you need to get to, for the type of sound I talk of to occur.

Everyone knows the edifers are very average speakers.  There are no tweaks that can make them anything but that.  Everything else is your delusions. You are diverged from reality.

13 minutes ago, Jaydon said:

He is asking what is so special about your speakers that they fix awful recordings?

What's special, is that all the weaknesses that create obvious, extra distortion in the playback chain have been reduced to a very low level - subjectively, what remains is mostly that from the recording side. Which the brain can cope with - you can listen to tracks on a very revealing system, and clearly pick up tape sounds, valve sounds, microphone characteristics ... which doesn't get in the way of enjoying the capture.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

What's special, is that all the weaknesses that create obvious, extra distortion in the playback chain have been reduced to a very low level - subjectively, what remains is mostly that from the recording side. Which the brain can cope with - you can listen to tracks on a very revealing system, and clearly pick up tape sounds, valve sounds, microphone characteristics ... which doesn't get in the way of enjoying the capture.

This is not true.  You have done nothing to make that happen.  The speaker design also has fundamental limitations.

This is all a delusion.  You are divorced from reality.

1 minute ago, Jaydon said:

Everyone knows the edifers are very average speakers.  There are no tweaks that can make them anything but that.  Everything else is your delusions. You are diverged from reality.

This is not a game of, "mine is better than yours!!" - it's about, a way of thinking that can evolve "very ordinary", and above, setups to produce convincing SQ - that's the goal, not to maximise boasting points ...

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This is not a game of, "mine is better than yours!!" - it's about, a way of thinking that can evolve "very ordinary", and above, setups to produce convincing SQ - that's the goal, not to maximise boasting points ...

Who said it is? Your speakers are very ordinary. None of your tweaks can change that.  You deludedly believe that awful recordings are made to sound realistic by your tweaks.

This is not happening.  It's not reality.

33 minutes ago, Jaydon said:

Such as your belief that awful 100 year old cylinder recordings are made to sound realistic by your tweaks.  It's a delusion.  It's not and cannot happen.

What the goal is, is to make an audio playback setup work well enough so it ends up having zero audible 'personality' in itself - so that the only signature you hear is that of the recording. It just turns out that if you do this, that for a majority of people, I would suggest, that they can focus without effort on the underlying event that was captured, and enjoy the listening.

There are plenty of accounts out there of people who have experienced magic moments, listening to some recording ... so, the trick is to understand what's going on, and formalise the approach of setting up playback rigs, so that this sort of thing happens consistently.

1 hour ago, Jaydon said:

Such as your belief that awful 100 year old cylinder recordings are made to sound realistic by your tweaks. 

I played the Nellie Melba track on my system. It was surprisingly listenable as the noise (sounded rather like static) stayed localized at the speaker positions while the singing floated in space between. I haven't done any of Franks tweaks btw.

41 minutes ago, fas42 said:

There are plenty of accounts out there of people who have experienced magic moments, listening to some recording ... so, the trick is to understand what's going on, and formalise the approach of setting up playback rigs, so that this sort of thing happens consistently.

I look forward to reading accounts of anyone experiencing magic moments from something like the Dame Nellie Melba recording we discussed yesterday.

Here it is again:

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 minutes ago, opus101 said:

I played the Nellie Melba track on my system. It was surprisingly listenable as the noise (sounded rather like static) stayed localized at the speaker positions while the singing floated in space between. I haven't done any of Franks tweaks btw.

You forgot to put the #troll hashtag on your post

@fas42 You know that he's just f*cking with you, don't you?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull