IGNORED

A proposal: the Objectivist Audio Review magazine

Although I think it is quite possible for something to measure well but sound terrible, I'm not sure there are many examples of the opposite -- things that measure quite poorly but sound wonderful (unless it is euphonic distortion, so maybe we should add in accurate reproduction).  

In other words, good measurements are probably a necessary but not a sufficient condition.

3 minutes ago, lmitche said:

And if we had 30 people, or 60 people endoring the approach, is it perauasive then?

No.

But if you had a single person who could tell the difference in a rigorously-controlled, double-blind test, it would be more persuasive than 60 people's sighted test anecdotes.  

Hundreds of people claim to have been abducted by aliens from outer-space.  That doesn't make the claim any more credible.

37 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Ah, so the whole internet review thing such as popularized with Amazon has no credibility?

It is probably fine for establishing which toaster to buy.

But it is still just anecdotal testimonials.

(This leaves aside the problem of paid reviewers, or people who have a grudge leaving gratuitously negative reviews, etc.)

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I think here, in a nutshell, is the divide in CA.

There is one group of folks who do not regard any anecdotal findings credible, no matter the sample size. That's OK. That's their prerogative.

That is a deliberate mischaracterization of what you quoted.

He asked if 30 or 60 anecdotal testimonials would be "persuasive."

They might be credible. They might not be credible.  

The problem is that we have no way to distinguish whether or not they are credible, unless we put it to a test that eliminates things like the power of suggestion, or expectation bias.

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Fair enough. I apologize if I mischaracterized what you said. It was not my intent.

But here's the thing... many of us don't come here to debate and evaluate the credibility of reported findings. We come here to share our experiences, and to garner ideas to try in our own systems. If you and others set a very high bar for yourselves, in terms of what content you consider credible, and perhaps actionable, that's fine and laudable.

But why not let others use their own looser criteria?

I am enjoying a level of SQ in my system that is light years beyond what it was 2 years ago, and even a year ago. I did it by adopting a series of changes based on posted experiences that would not meet your acceptance criteria. But I don't care, because I made my own choices, took a risk with my own money, and am happy with the results.

Why not leave people to make their own decisions?

It is also a deliberate mischaracterization to suggest that I give a flying rat's ass what people want to buy and stick in their audio system.

The question was whether a set of 30 or 60 testimonials would be "persuasive," which I took to mean "would it be enough to overcome skepticism."  The context was discussing anecdotal vs. other kinds of empirical evidence.