IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

4 hours ago, Rexp said:

I see Barry records to aiff like you do Paul. Have you tried wav? Thing is, I tried converting your Chopin needle drop from aiff to wav and couldn't do so without ruining the SQ. 

Weird.

aiff and wav are almost identical formats with lossless conversion possible between them.

Did you double check the sample rate and bit depth settings?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

10 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

It's simple connect-the-dots, right?

IE: A child's connect the dots drawing of the most recognizeable ship: Titanic.

One drawing has 50 dots(samples) that properly connected will render those four smoke stacks, the vertical bow, and S-shaped counter stern.

The other drawing: 500 dots.

Which completed connect-the-dots will more strongly resemble the Titanic's silhouette?

Translated to a DAC 'connecting the dots' to 'redraw' a  complex violin quartet, how does the DAC do it? In electronic terms?

Aren't there complex algorithms that prevent dots from being 'skipped'?  Or the wrong dots from being connected:

IE our Titanic has two realllllly wide funnels instead of four skinny ones, because the child(the DAC!), went across from the top of one funnel to the next one instead of back down to the ship's deck, essentially missing a few dots(samples).

Your "connect-the-dots" view of the world is incorrect but you are not the only who believes it.

2 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

But can you hear it - wayyyyyy up there?

I'm convinced: Inside every audiophile is a DOG.

internet_dog.jpg.f096da1ac675474b1c32d774c2bcdaac.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Intense levels of treble hold no terrors for me. Live instruments do this as part of their sound making, and this is a fundamental reason why live, acoustic music has such a powerful impact - that sense of intensity is something I do not want to lose; and if such is part of the creative mix of a track, I want it to be there, in spades.

Disturbing sibilance or shrillness in the playback are markers of distortion anomalies in the replay chain. If you 'sort out' the weaknesses in the setup, then the disturbing quality vanishes - because, you have eliminated the sources of the distortion artifacts. "Shrillness" is replaced with "intensity" - a vastly better alternative, ^_^.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lucretius said:

You got a lot going on there. Let me enumerate it:

1. Music files created on different equipment
  2. Files played from different storage media (internal or external SSD, HDD or USB memory)
  3. Linear vs SMPS PSUs
  4. Different operating systems
  5. Different ripping software

6. Ripped from internal vs. external optical drives

You left out different playback software, so let's add that:

7. Different playback software

The "bits is bits brigade" is saying bit perfect files (delivered that way to the DAC) sound identical (same DAC, amp, speakers, room, etc.) even if 1,2,4,5,6,7 are the case.  I remember that #2 has been discussed and although there can indeed be different levels of noise generated from these different storage media, it is generally inaudible/negligible.  As for #3, any different power supply (it's not just linear vs SMPS) may pollute the output of the DAC; however, this is not always the case and I would hope that for a "good" DAC, the effect is inaudible -- yes, there are some really bad SMPS PSU's that should never be used, while many others will have no audible effect on a good DAC.

Considering that the "bits is bits brigade" is a stereotype created entirely by subjectivists, I'm not sure that you can define what claims it makes.

Just now, mansr said:

The only times I've bought another version of something I already owned has been getting older used CDs to escape the loudness-compressed remasters.

Perhaps you aren't their target customer.

I, on the other hand, have at least a dozen different versions of Kind of Blue.

52 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Now, if you'd just kept your turntable.. 

No need. I've found a number of needle drops in the deep, dark recesses of the Interweb.  

Just now, Ralf11 said:

I feel like I'm missing something when I play it on my tiny laptop speakers

Isn't your mind filing in the missing information?

18 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

But when I read in the Websters Dickshunairy that 'Nu-Q-Ler' is an acceptable 'alternate' pronunciation of the word 'nuclear', well let's just say my fireplace saw its first use in twenty-seven years..! 

Perhaps check your control rods...