IGNORED

"Journalists" extolling MQA need their ears tested".....

10 minutes ago, shtf said:

I long for the day when I read the headlines of a class action lawsuit charging them with racketeering among multiple enterprises.  And considering the continually mounting financial damages and consumed resources they’ve already induced on an unsuspecting population, that day just may come after all. 

I do too, and I don't even feel like it's particularly all that far-fetched.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

25 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You started the civility debate and to preach your idiosyncratic views on the topic. I was discussing extremism and also generalizations, not civilty. If your civility sensibilities were offended by my choice of words you can always complain to CC. Otherwise drop the strawman argument and stop trying to make everything about your notions of civility.

Okay, I'll concede the point.  What was "extreme" about Mansr's post? 

Over generalization seems harder.  It's just a forum and a comment box - generalizations are always part of it, as terms/definitions are assumed in the flow of the conversation.  But what in your opinion was overly generalized about Mansr's post?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

I was in the same row as the person who called?...yelled out that?....both Bob Stuart and Robert Harley are liars at the Los Angeles Audio Show last year after Bob finished

If we’re going for the bigger character assassinations let’s agree that the language should be workable.   BTW...although I am sympathetic to your views on MQA, your language is filled with references that imply you are truly an “insider”....did I miss the post where you gave us your bona fides? 

Please elaborate...Thanks.

46 minutes ago, shtf said:
  •  

Personally, I long for the day when I read the headlines of a class action lawsuit charging them with racketeering among multiple enterprises.  And considering the continually mounting financial damages and consumed resources they’ve already induced on an unsuspecting population, that day just may come after all.  Not to mention their end-game results which ultimately might tally up to Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.

I don't think we have anything near the robust consumer protection laws for anything like that.  I suspect that if Bernie Madoff had not bamboozled so many of the elites of government and industry the reaction would not have been so severe.  Justice was swift for Bernie, in a system in which it is hardly ever swift.

I did read a few weeks back about a doctor and his cohorts who were thrown in jail for lying on an infomercial.  The thing is for every one that happens to another thousand get away with it...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

42 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You started the civility debate .....

No great claim to fame but it was I....it was the boys, S.T.Crowley, Crenca.....et.al that let that sorry excuse for a forum post extend well beyond any possible merit to this site.

we’re now in Trumpian times....

8 minutes ago, crenca said:

Okay, I'll concede the point.  What was "extreme" about Mansr's post? 

Over generalization seems harder.  It's just a forum and a comment box - generalizations are always part of it, as terms/definitions are assumed in the flow of the conversation.  But what in your opinion was overly generalized about Mansr's post?

It has already been discussed a few pages back. I stand by my opinion. I also note that CC has requested to get back to the topic at hand

33 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ok let’s continue the topic at hand. As long as everyone is respectful I’m cool. 

Sound Minds Mind Sound

28 minutes ago, wdw said:

If we’re going for the bigger character assassinations let’s agree that the language should be workable.   BTW...although I am sympathetic to your views on MQA, your language is filled with references that imply you are truly an “insider”....did I miss the post where you gave us your bona fides? 

Please elaborate...Thanks.

You did miss it. Norton asked the same questions and I answered all of them.

17 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

You did miss it. Norton asked the same questions and I answered all of them.

What...worked down the hall from someone important?   Have a business card and it is embossed!

Come on...you strut through this site like you are someone well placed in the music industry....please elaborate! 

Your comments to M. Ritter, of BADA, had that over familiar salesman language...”we’ll meet at “whatever show it was” and he.quite honestly replied who, ITF, are you?  

So the question remains.....please elaborate.  Links would work.

thanks

12 minutes ago, crenca said:

It is odd isn't it.  The trade publications have done a good job of selling the idea that they are just a bunch of fun loving audiophile guys like the rest of us.  

If that is true, how could they also be so called "journalists" as well?

In my opinion they actually are in the main just a bunch of hobbiests who have parlaid a bit of writing skill into a sales job. So the question remains why would anybody listen to them when it comes to technical matters or any issue outside of a very narrow subjectivist "sounds like" review?  What do they know about business, digital, software, DRM, electrical engineering, math, science, or really anything of substance?

And then when they all mysteriously come to the same conclusion about the sound of MQA, in complete contradiction to the majority of consumers who at best can sometimes hear a small difference, well we're back to how they are really all just a bunch of salesmen...

I am led to believe that Stereophile publishes good measurements. I have no problem with the writers being audiophiles or expressing subjective opinions. I agree they are there to sell something but that is not exactly surprising IMO. As for "journalists" it depends on how you define the term. Not all journalists are investigative researchers wanting to uncover the truth. This is a hobby after all. Opinion pieces are permitted.

The problem however as I see it is the proliferation of "fake news" to serve an agenda, and not just confined to audio.  People keep on talking about the Trumpian era but AFAIK he just gave it a name. Fake news was around before Trump. newspapers notoriously have been associated with certain political views.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 6/17/2018 at 7:53 AM, Brinkman Ship said:

Post, by "art" at SHF...a devastating paragraph that basically sums it all up concerning the press and subjective reports about MQA-

"Done a lot of listening to MQA, even with a Grammy-winning engineer at his studio and his 200k home system. For a story coming in a mainstream weekly. He thought MQA was joke, of course. I was the AXPONA audio fest earlier in the year, various listening rooms and had hosts switch back and forth between MQA and the same hi-res files. Of course MQA was never as good, and it was obvious to the others in the rooms. Lots of head shaking. An Aurender rep told me that MQA is now saying their files are as good as 24/96 of the same mastering (they've stopped saying "better"). But they aren't even as good. That's the thing. Audible artifacts --- distortion masquerading as detail— were even obvious. But more so, MQA files are less 3D, and have a less inviting listening experience overall compared with the same non-MQA file. Every single time. "Journalists" extolling MQA need their ears tested -- and have the hearing test results in graphs posted alongside their stories --- these graying dudes at audio magazines who've lost a third or more of their hearing ... "

No "hardened show goers wowed"

No jaws hitting the floor

No  new worlds birthed

No scientific revolutions

No "what digital should have been 30 years ago"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/mcintosh-passes-on-mqa-calls-it-lossy-and-distorted.757191/page-2#post-18909844

16 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I am led to believe ....

I think we're finally on the same page.  :)

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

10 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:
13 minutes ago, shtf said:

I think we're finally on the same page.  :)

I'm not so sure.

4 minutes ago, wdw said:
10 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I'm not so sure.

DOH!

DOH?

Ok let me clarify. I am led to believe by posters here on CA that Stereophile has good measurements. I am not led to believe that by Stereophile. I say led to believe because I place less importance on them than some, or at least their interpretation. So far I have found not a lot that I am on the same page with shtf whether his view that electricity is just another vibration or most of his other posts.?

So, Does or does not Stereophile have good measurements?

Sound Minds Mind Sound