IGNORED

MQA Shill Steve Stone Provides a Good Laugh For a Friday...

It seems to be coming obvious that the MQA “magic” consists of dulling trasients, hiding low level detail, and softening the sound of recordings - all while adding artificial “space and air” to recordings. So many listeners like the sound - softened and more space seems more “analog” like and “audiophile“ like to them. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

The general feedback is that intermediate phase sounded best.

Is there another name for intermediate phase? What would a filter like that be called in HQP?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

50 minutes ago, crenca said:

It's extra clicks, a step back in UI elegance and usefulness.  I was wrong, it's a minimum of 3 extra clicks.  If the "AAC" version or any other besides what I pay Tidal to deliver was automagically the default in Roon's eyes it would be the same, but your correct in the MQA is a special annoyance :P.  I never added MQA versions to my library but there they are, because of the default "sorting" decision of Roon to privilege a lossy voodoo codec like MQA over REAL PCM.  Sure, I can fix all this but how many clicks is that???   I did not pay Roon for JRiver complexity!!

Heck, the Tidal desktop app is now the rival of Roon as far as browsing goes now....

edit:  I will have to give it a bit more time and thought, but I think I will be probably be downgrading Roon from an almost unreserved recommend to a neutral.  Roon's strength is it's strong UI experience.  I like the ease of it's DSP, but the fact is it's functionality is nothing I don't already do with JRiver and plugins.  Factor in the cost of Roon, and it is a bit less compelling than it was the day before yesterday...

I still don’t understand the big gripe. I just added 24\192 MQA files to my library. The non-MQA 24\192 version still shows up as the primary when I group the versions. In another case, I looked for a CSN album that I have in high res and CD. I have the CD defined as primary. In a search for that album, Roon now shows the CD as the primary, even though there is a high res MQA version - both before and after grouping. To me, Roon is behaving exactly as it did before, except that it now it recognizes MQA versions.

6 minutes ago, crenca said:

In both of those cases you have a local file, and you are right the local file is sorted "primary" by default.  

I am talking about how Roon handles Tidal versions.  This is a primary use case for me, Roon+Tidal+artist/album browsing.  When I play my local files I am as likely to use JRiver as Roon, but yes Roon appears to sort your local file first (i.e. primary).  With my many (many many) Tidal bookmarks, it is sorting the MQA version first (if there is one) - I have to drill down to get to the PCM version.  Also, if I hear of an new artist, or an album from a familiar artist and I want to here it through Tidal, if there is a MQA version that is the version that comes up and you have to drill down to get to PCM version...

Okay I understand now. But Roon is still doing what it always did-prioritizing higher res versions. The difference is that now it recognizes the MQA versions. I get that it bugs you, but at least you can see the MQA version labeled and ignore it. I ‘d just do what I always do-pick the one I want to define as primary. Doesn’t bother me. 

BTW, you can create focus groups based on “format” and exclude MQA files if that helps. Then bookmark the focus group that doesn’t include them. 

7 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

I'm new to Roon (<2 weeks) and nearly so to Tidal (<2 months). Help me be clear with what Roon is doing here. For Tidal MQA files, Roon does the first unfold for my non-MQA DAC? I don't have to do anything else? For non-MQA files, Roon does not apply MQA filters?

BTW, does Tidal even have hi-res content that is *not* MQA?

Basically yes, that is the default - unless your DAC can't do 88 or 96k. Or unless you manually change the settings in Roon for MQA.

In a situation like yours Roon will simply do the first unfold and pass the file "as unfolded" to your DAC. Your DAC will simply relate to it the same way it relates to any other 88 or 96k file.  

Roon in any case doesn't apply the MQA filters. That is either done in the MQA DAC, or not at all. 

If you click on the little "signal path" dot  to the right of the name of the selection being played in Roon, it will tell you what it is doing. 
AFAIK, Tidal doesn't yet have non MQA hi-res content. Maybe there are a few scattered tracks I'm unaware of.

36 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

This shifts (or can shift) the licensing burden from the DAC manufacturers to Roon. I wonder if Roon will have to make two versions (Tidal/MQA and Qubuz/PCM) to prevent outrage from
customers (like me) who refuse to pay MQA licensing.

I doubt the Roon end is paying that much to MQA; it is probably Tidal who is paying much more licensing fees to MQA. The record labels are invested in MQA, so I'm sure there is some nice complicated royalty scheme among them, MQA, and Tidal. I'd guess Roon pays a significant amount to Tidal, which probably isn't directly related to MQA being there or not.

As far as Roon getting another streaming service on board - it doesn't look good. There seem to be 2 related complicated factors:

a) Roon sees it's user interface as it's key selling point and reason for existence - and it isn't willing to compromise it for a streaming service. This means it demands full integration of the streaming service into the Roon interface, on Roon's terms. (And that's one of the reasons we like the Tidal-Roon partnership so much, isn't it?);

b) but (a) means that Roon has to have full access to the database of the streaming partner so that it can periodically download the database and integrate it with Roon (it does this once a day with Tidal's database, which is why new releases appear first in Tidal before you can see them through Roon).

So far only Roon and Tidal have agreed on the above. The other streaming services are either unwilling for (a) or are willing to do (a), but not (b). 
This has all been stated by Roon at their forum.