IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Any idea of how much?  Just trying to divine the threshold of "significant" investment.

Maybe Rt66 has numbers which would be interesting... But the investment Warner (a company with $700M+ in revenue yearly) made towards MQA was said to be "speculative" in nature a couple years back.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

27 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Bravo, Archimago, for this concisely well-written article!

For a number of years I've been a fan of linear-phase digital reconstruction filters.  My current DAC, the Auralic Vega, offers a linear-phase filter option that I use to the exclusion of other options.  Your article here, as well as postings on your site, have me thoroughly convinced of the sonic merits of linear-phase phase filters over all the other types.

I also recently did a speaker crossover shootout between IIR parametric filters and FIR linear-phase filters, at a retired colleague/friend's venue, and using a miniDSP 2x4 HD box to implement the crossover filters.  Guess which filter type came out on top?  Both filter sets have exactly the same frequency response, but the difference in phase response between the filters is clearly audible, at least within my circle of audiophile friends.

Thank you also for your "Audiophile Myth #260: The Detestable Digital Filter Ringing and Real Music...".  My friend and I resonate extremely strongly with this article.

I've been very satisfied with the sonic performance of my Auralic Vega, but if I'm to contemplate moving to another DAC, it will definitely need to have FIR linear-phase filter as a user option.  A DAC without linear-phase filter support will never get my money.  DACs featuring MQA will fail to make my list to begin with.

Congratulations, again!

Thanks for the note Scan. I certainly would not have said it years ago when I first started writing about this stuff, but it is fun putting ideas and articles out there with the hope that they resonate and can be useful for others as these ideas and tests have been useful for my own listening and understanding...

Yeah, I'm not surprised of the results with your work on your friend's miniDSP system. I'm sure @mitchco also has had a lot of experience with these configurations and getting the time-domain "just right".

21 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

Thought I'd post a screenshot of my posting here before my comment is deleted and I get banned from Audiostream tomorrow morning.

ml.png

skikirkwood: Good luck on both counts! :-)

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Just now, rickca said:

Kind of utopian.  It clearly doesn't work this way.  Did it ever?  We are on our own.

True. Utopian. But if we cannot desire, ask, or hope for something better in the form of a higher standard of journalism in the audiophile press... Then we might as well just see the audiophile media as pure advertising.

As much as I criticize what I've seen from the press, I do believe that things are not irremediable and wish for something better than this from John, Jim, Jason, Michael, Steve, and yes, even Mr. Harley, et al.

15 minutes ago, mansr said:

I like to think that my reverse engineering efforts contributed in some small way.

Absolutely @mansr!!!

You work laid bare the suspected emptiness of claims.

4 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

Hi,

Sometimes my comments can be off-the-wall, too! But in the case of MQA, the problem was that they stepped on some familiar turf to me -- just like they probably did with you. I worked in various aspects of IT from 1985 to 1998, before SoundStage! became full-time. Your must work  in a technical capacity, too.

And it's important that we can all see that of ourselves sometimes! As passionate and obsessive audiophiles, we might say things that in other contexts could be seen as irrelevant or worse even off-the-wall. However, speaking for myself at least, I hope never to lose insight and be so "out in left field" as to be seen as insane O.o.

Indeed, technically minded folks who have experience in IT and have at least a sense of how computer technology works would instinctively scratch their heads with these claims.

4 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

Insofar as this whole thing goes, however, you and Mansr have done the best technical work on it. Your findings, coupled with what Bruno Putzeys wrote on Facebook in November, not only had everyone suddenly stand up and take notice -- it's left their supporters on shaky ground and right now doubting themselves. Charles Hansen must also be credited for being so damn persistent on this and taking people to task, even if it cost some friendships. He, too, knew what was right. So keep up the good work and keep even more stuff coming!

Doug

SoundStage!

I certainly thought of Charles Hansen (RIP) and his outspoken dislike of MQA when writing the article and in discussions with the collaborators. I'm sure if I ran this article by him before publication, he would have had a thing or two to add...

4 hours ago, FredericV said:

This screenshot shows the average technical knowledge level inside the secret MQA group:

"Archimago is quite good, but he really does not understand how MQA works."

-> please buy a mirror

This guy does not even understand the basics of sampling.

image.thumb.png.bf02c2d74d1933c3a986a78e5bba8663.png

The same clueless members continue to claim the MQA train cannot be stopped. This is a very recent screenshot.

Our CA frontpage article was also deleted from the group.

I don't have a membership in the group, so they now must find their mole ....

image.png.819878f2517c946cd4a15d44979df12e.png

and yes this internationalTV format was invented by our Belgian national television ;)

"The mole" LOL :D.

I think it's interesting that they prefer to see the "name recognition" as a good thing. Any news is good news? Not sure I agree that it works like that in the public eye.

We'll have to see what the "mainstream" audiophile magazines and blogs have to say about this - if anything. What would be most interesting to me is if they can mount a relevant debate about *why* technically they feel MQA is still worth defending... Beyond name calling, appealing to authority, attacks on anonymity, "just listen", "your equipment isn't good enough", "you don't have golden ears", "I don't care, I just enjoy" statements.

22 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I talked a lot on the phone to Charles last year and knew all his thinking on this (at least what he gave to me -- which was hours and hours of it). He felt that there was really nothing new about any of it, that it was a mix of questionable ideas, that it was being completely misrepresented by its creators, that certain people promoting it were corrupt and flat-out bought off, while others were simply naive and uninformed and in no position to make the judgments that they were making. You left all the latter of your article, so he might've wanted you to add all that. As for the technical side, I'm sure he would've been happy with all the points you made.

Yeah, I'm sure Charles would not have minced his words... 

11 hours ago, FredericV said:

New fallback argument on the secret MQA group: person X does not understand MQA.

Archimago does not understand MQA
AIX records does not understand MQA
and so on ....

Now they are attacking AIX:

image.thumb.png.c5b504b74a1c805cc1103c0fc9f64a86.png

How ironic, as MQA does not have more resolution than 24/96. Everything above that is upsampled in the renderer with leaky filters.
MQA at best is something like lossy 17/96.

A lot of MQA encodes are based on masterings for redbook. The admin of the group debunks MQA by his own logic.

Indeed - MQA is unable to maintain the full resolution of a 24/96 file. Absolutely ridiculous to criticize AIX, a studio that actually produces some excellent "audiophile demo" quality recordings with high resolution and natural dynamics.

I'm curious @FredericV, did the traffic in that group increase or change over the last few days? Other than attacking the person(s), are there actually any arguments at all of relevance to debate with these people? Is there even any apparent thoughtful discussion given the years of criticisms happening in that group or is it truly a matter of "I heard this - it's great!", and "I believe that cuz MQA said that!" kind of chatter?

2 hours ago, ednaz said:

JPG = MP3

RAW = DSD

TIFF = FLAC

I agree with the others, we need to be cautious. So in this analogy, what do you make of MQA?

22 minutes ago, firedog said:

Uh, I think you meant to write, “an adult who should be embarrassed to use his real name because now everyone knows he is either ignorant and doesn’t know what he is talking about, or just a shill for MQA who will say anything, true or not.”

Well, in the video he states he's not supported by MQA. No reason to question that...

It is a rather compelling audition nonetheless if MQA did want to support some promotion in the future!

11 hours ago, astromo said:

@Archimago thank you for the "cut through". You saved me the effort of pointing out the flaws that I could spot in the HB presentation. Leaves me at this point with the thought of "bring on the McGill Uni study".

If the analytical work by Meyer and Moran are any guide:

Audibility of a CD-Standard A/DA/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback

we'll see confirmation of the ABX work you've reported on in your blog.

Interestingly, the Meyer Moran paper points to this commentary from another AES Journal Paper as part of the motivation for their study, dating back over ten years now:

The similarity of language used to describe MQA by it's co-inventor with the description above is no coincidence (but it's certainly amusing to reflect upon). I've not fully read the paper that the above quote is extracted from yet but a quick skim made me notice this comment:

From my own technical background, I know that modelling can only take you so far (George Box's advice is often quoted, "all models are wrong, some are useful" or something along those lines). Without empirical testing and validation, theory and models can quickly lead you down the garden path to leave you dancing around the magic mushrooms with the pixies and the fairies. To take Box's point, if you don't test your models empirically, it's not possible to understand the strengths and weaknesses and ultimately their reliability.

If MQA had been subjected to the rigour that Moran and Meyer applied (here's the testing detail from their paper that the abstract above alludes to):

We would already have an answer that would put all this angst and debate from the last couple of years beyond doubt to even the greatest proponents of the format.

Thanks again for your efforts.

A pleasure @astromo. As some of the respondents noted, unfortunately the M&M study unfortunately did not take into account the provenance of those SACD / DVD-A samples they used, thus although we can say perhaps the results could apply to those albums, one has to look elsewhere at test that utilized true hi-res audio to tease out the audibility compared to standard CD.

By the way, over the years, I've added to a list of SACDs I've found that were simply PCM usamples here.

Regardless of M&M, you're right though... It would have been interesting if MQA did subject the codec to some kind of blind study right from the start as evidence instead of vague opinions in the audiophile press - assuming that these voices experiencing MQA in an uncontrolled fashion were credible enough to satisfy audiophiles !