IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

No, ridicule is just mean and diminishes the one ridiculing. At a certain point, they deserve to be ignored. People here have been incredibly patient with beerandmusic, actually. 

After all the time and personal attention that's been lavished on him by others - especially in this thread - he really should take a step back and try to understand the material without his false preconceptions.

If he isn't willing to do that, the best thing to do would be simply not to engage with him. No one should keep wasting their time on a person if he shows he isn't willing to listen to helpful, honest replies. 

Most people ask a question when  they want to know the answer. He doesn't, he actively rejects the answers he gets.  So it's just trolling.  (Though I don't like the word, as  it's used as a 'catch all' far too often. But I think it's true here, though of course that's just my opinion.)

Many here have got far more patience that I have when  dealing with 'wilful ignoranti'  but unlike in the 'open air' there are certain limits on what we can say.

Ok, so i searched youtube for sample rates and found this video:

It states during the presentation, that not only does a higher sampling rate allow you to capture higher frequency rates, but it also allows you to take more samples to represent our audio (see time 2:50 seconds into the video).  
This is the part that I am concerned with...i don't care about higher frequency rates as a concern.

any way just now investigating if the logic I am trying to express is documented.

Again, i am NOT concerned with sampling rate to allow higher frequencies....

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

It states during the presentation, that not only does a higher sampling rate allow you to capture higher frequency rates, but it also allows you to take more samples to represent our audio (see time 2:50 seconds into the video).  
This is the part that I am concerned with...i don't care about higher frequency rates as a concern.

any way just now investigating if the logic I am trying to express is documented.

Again, i am NOT concerned with sampling rate to allow higher frequencies....

By the nature of the signal, if that signal contains "smaller detail's"  these are always higher frequency components not some other information about the signal.

signal1.thumb.jpg.b289054e99c53173738a03d3d41e5e95.jpg

Before the signal is sampled it is send through a low-pass filter and the frequencies above 1/2 the sample frequency are removed

Assuming that the 'small detail' was above the 1/2 sample frequency the output after the low pass would be:

signal2.thumb.jpg.cb6a3a61cf672ecc665f18a6be073540.jpg

If the small details would be below it would have passed the low-pass filter unaltered and would be sampled (ADC) and reconstructed in the DAC.

So, yes, such "details" would be lost but you would not hear it as the ear basically is also a lowpass filter.

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

what i meant by gaps is that at t1 you have freq x and t2 you have freq y, and you must connect the dots, so the detail between the dots is the gaps that is estimated, calculated, averaged, or whatever terminology you use....and that is where the details and accuracy are lost....between the samples.

A frequency doesn't exist a single point in time, only over an interval. The longer the interval, the more well-defined the frequency becomes. I this might be the root of your misunderstanding.

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Here's another question i have.

Does anyone here believe that SACD sounds better than CD, or does everyone that professes nyquist theorem applies suggest that nothing higher than 44.1khz is audible?

Is there anyone in this thread that believes that SACD is better than CD?

SACD is better than CD. The only problem I can’t reap the benefit.

All I need is speakers that are capable of producing the dynamic range of SACD. So I am looking at speakers capable of at least 160 dB 3 meters away taking into consideration of noise floor of 40dB.  

I also need an amplifier that could deliver about 3.5 million watt per channel to drive a typical 94dB sensitivity speakers. Any amps you want to recommend?

2 hours ago, hsmeets said:

By the nature of the signal, if that signal contains "smaller detail's"  these are always higher frequency components not some other information about the signal.

signal1.thumb.jpg.b289054e99c53173738a03d3d41e5e95.jpg

Before the signal is sampled it is send through a low-pass filter and the frequencies above 1/2 the sample frequency are removed

Assuming that the 'small detail' was above the 1/2 sample frequency the output after the low pass would be:

signal2.thumb.jpg.cb6a3a61cf672ecc665f18a6be073540.jpg

If the small details would be below it would have passed the low-pass filter unaltered and would be sampled (ADC) and reconstructed in the DAC.

So, yes, such "details" would be lost but you would not hear it as the ear basically is also a lowpass filter.

From which digital signal do you think your DAC would produce the most accurate analog rendition?

FIG.1: If the bit depth is low (a), the signal will be inaccurately converted because it’s sampled in large increments. By increasing the bit depth (b), you get finer increments and a more accurate representation of the signal.

The reason for using higher sampling rates isn't to produce higher frequencies, its to produce a more accurate analog output that better matches the original analog input. In simple terms, your DAC is doing less guesswork

So I just woke up, and haven't researched any more, and i see others have written more for me to read, but as of right now, this is my understanding.

Increasing the sample rate does 2 things.  ONE is related to norquist theorem and talks about the frequency range, which I have always stated that I don't have a problem with, because I am ONLY talking about what is in the audible range of hearing, and for the purpose of this argument, i am perfectly fine to just talk about frequencies between 600 and 700 hz.

The second thing that increasing the sample rate does, is along the horizotal axis and the accuracy of the resultant waveform by "connecting the dots".  This is what SONY was referring to about accuracy which i believe has nothing to do with the Norquist theorem.

So i have only studied for about 30 minutes, and about where i was last time i researched this and quit.

People can suggest I am thick, but I know otherwise, so it really doesn't bother me.  I know my IQ and ability to learn.

Logic also tells me if there was no possible truth, so many engineers would not even bother with sample rate higher than 44.1khz.  Clearly it is not a money making opportunity for everyone.

What i don't understand is why we can't stop talking about norquist and it's association with the highest frequency range, and lets just talk about the actual sampling on the horizontal axis and how more samples allows for more accuracy in the "connecting of the dots".

I will study more, but right now, i actually believe MORE about what i already previously believed.

If this is tiresome for anyone, i suggest you just bow out and ignore me and consider me ignorant...trust me, you won't hurt my feelings.  I would much prefer that, than to have to resort to name calling.

7 minutes ago, STC said:

SACD is better than CD. The only problem I can’t reap the benefit.

All I need is speakers that are capable of producing the dynamic range of SACD. So I am looking at speakers capable of at least 160 dB 3 meters away taking into consideration of noise floor of 40dB.  

I also need an amplifier that could deliver about 3.5 million watt per channel to drive a typical 94dB sensitivity speakers. Any amps you want to recommend?

Clearly a mocking response, so i will give you a mocking answer....

You can't go wrong with McIntosh.

23 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

From which digital signal do you think your DAC would produce the most accurate analog rendition?

FIG.1: If the bit depth is low (a), the signal will be inaccurately converted because it’s sampled in large increments. By increasing the bit depth (b), you get finer increments and a more accurate representation of the signal.

The reason for using higher sampling rates isn't to produce higher frequencies, its to produce a more accurate analog output that better matches the original analog input. In simple terms, your DAC is doing less guesswork

From what i read yesterday, it does both....most of these people are tied to just part of what increasing the sample rate does, while totally disregarding the other thing it does....moving forward, i will only discuss what increasing the sample rate does across the horizontal axis.

14 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

So I just woke up, and haven't researched any more, and i see others have written more for me to read, but as of right now, this is my understanding.

Increasing the sample rate does 2 things.  ONE is related to norquist theorem and talks about the frequency range, which I have always stated that I don't have a problem with, because I am ONLY talking about what is in the audible range of hearing, and for the purpose of this argument, i am perfectly fine to just talk about frequencies between 600 and 700 hz.

The second thing increasing the sample rate is along the horizotal axis and the accuracy of the resultant waveform by "connecting the dots".  This is what SONY was referring to and has nothing to do with Norquist in the statement I made previously about accuracy.

So i have only studied for about 30 minutes, and about where i was last time i researched this and quit.

People can suggest I am thick, but I know otherwise, so it really doesn't bother me.  I know my IQ and ability to learn.

Logic also tells me if there was no possible truth, so many engineers would not even bother with sample rate higher than 44.1khz.  Clearly it is not a money making opportunity for everyone.

What i don't understand is why we can't stop talking about norquist and it's association with the highest frequency range, and lets just talk about the actual sampling on the horizontal axis and how more samples allows for more accuracy in the "connecting of the dots".

I will study more, but right now, i actually believe MORE about what i already previously believed.

If this is tiresome for anyone, i suggest you just bow out and ignore me and consider me ignorant...trust me, you won't hurt my feelings.  I would much prefer that than to have to resort to name calling.

You are completely off base. Have a solid misunderstanding of digital audio.

I wouldn't mention it other than you have. If I were judging by this thread, your confidence and opinion of your ability to learn and IQ are much too high.

Stop all this. Watch the Digital Show and Tell video. You'll start to get somewhere if you'll understand it.

Writing about Norquist when it should be Nyquist is the closest you have come to being correct.  And it's wrong.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 minutes ago, esldude said:

\ Watch the Digital Show and Tell video. You'll start to get somewhere if you'll understand it.

provide the link again....does it also talk about the improved accuracy by the higher sample rate?  That is where my focus will be.  My focus will not be on the highest possible frequency range, but on the accuracy provided by the higher sample rate.

15 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

From what i read yesterday, it does both....most of these people are tied to just part of what increasing the sample rate does, while totally disregarding the other thing it does....

Look you are trying to be understand this by “thinking about it” without understanding the underlying math. To me this all sounds like you are trying and trying to argue that 1+1=3 ??‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Look you are trying to be understand this by “thinking about it” without understanding the underlying math. To me this all sounds like you are trying and trying to argue that 1+1=3 ??‍♂️

I do NOT want to talk about the highest possible frequency range, i want to talk about the accuracy of transitions.

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

provide the link again....does it also talk about the improved accuracy by the higher sample rate?  That is where my focus will be.

Increased accuracy by higher sampling rate is not present in PCM encoding the way you are imagining. Until you have a solid understanding of the basics, topics like multibit SDM are going to be hopeless.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

provide the link again....does it also talk about the improved accuracy by the higher sample rate?  That is where my focus will be.  My focus will not be on the highest possible frequency range, but on the accuracy provided by the higher sample rate.

It provides the clearest, simplest, easiest to understand example of why higher sample rates only provide for higher frequencies and not improved accuracy.  Continuing to hang onto this incorrect idea will be stumbling block to ever understanding digital audio.

The link is in the first page of posts to this thread.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just now, jabbr said:

Increased accuracy by higher sampling rate is not present in PCM encoding the way you are imagining. Until you have a solid understanding of the basics, topics like multibit SDM are going to be hopeless.

ok, well i am willing to put a couple hours into it...and see if my understanding is any better....and if not, people that suggeset SACD is not superior to CD, can just consider me ignorant even though my ears and my logic tell me differently.