IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

8 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You aren’t even addressing the comparisons between SACD and CD. 

Its not all like “if SACD is better than CD them I’m right” ... whether you prefer one format over the other has nothing to do with the mathematical concepts.

what is true about SACD namely single bit SDM, is that increasing bit rate does increase SNR and hence frequency resolution to a certain degree but unless you understand the math you won’t understand why. 

agree, this is more along my interests, and probably instead of starting a thread "understanding sample rate", in hind sight, i should have started a topic "why does sacd sound better than a cd for the layman". (wink)

My view is that at some point one either says I don't actually care about how this all works, or one tries to work out how it all works. Of all the things that get boring on the internet, fairly high up the list is -people pretending to want to understand something without being prepared to admit that what they think they know might be wrong.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

11 minutes ago, adamdea said:

My view is that at some point one either says I don't actually care about how this all works, or one tries to work out how it all works. Of all the things that get boring on the internet, fairly high up the list is -people pretending to want to understand something without being prepared to admit that what they think they know might be wrong.

for me, i had a genuine curiosity initially, but i see it is more complicated and I don't want to devote the time to understanding.

If it was something that could be spoon fed allowing a better understanding with minimal effort, where people wouldn't get upset, that would have been great, but seeing that is not the case, and i doubt I will get on the same page, i personally have no desire to explore it deeper...but my belief has not changed that SACD can sound better and can be more accurate, has not changed.

Just now, beerandmusic said:

for me, i had a genuine curiosity initially, but i see it is more complicated and don't want to devote the time to understanding.

If it was something that could be spoon fed where people wouldn't get upset, that would have been great, but seeing that is not the cae, and i doubt I will get on the same page, i personally have no desire to explore it deeper...but my belief has not changed that SACD can sound better and can be more accurate, has not changed.

I see. Well learning and questioning your own beliefs can be tiring and it might get in the way of all the attention-seeking. Onto a new thread?

You are not a sound quality measurement device

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

my belief has not changed that SACD can sound better and can be more accurate, has not changed.

In my experience, SACDs usually sound better/different because the mastering is better/different. In other words, it has little to do with the sample rate or format (DSD vs PCM).

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

so in your opinion, in those cases where they are from same master, the cd track will sound same as sacd track?

This has been my experience that there isn't much difference between them.

Do you have some examples of Hybrid SACDs where the DSD layer sounds significantly better than the PCM layer and the masterings are identical?

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

ok, so i watched it...it doesn't really touch on my confusion about a more complex signal...i am sure the suggestion would be the same applies...but he really doesn't go into complex waveforms.

if anyone cares to share, great, if anyone is frustrated then please don't waste any more time on me....it will serve us both better.

i saw the nice sine for a simple tone of 1khz.

lets expand on that a little (not a lot, a very little)

lets assume a singer that when sings, sings an infinite number of frequencies between 300 and 3000hz

a guitar playing has an infinite number of frequencies between 100 and 500hz

and a drum set has an infinite number of frequencies between 20 and 500hz

And all 3 instruments are stopping and starting at undefined moments in time.

That is the music.

my confusion has more to do with the infinite number of frequencies that exist, compounded by more than one frequency at the same time....that someone suggested averaging.

What is the composite waveform or the frequency at any time, and can a higher sampling capture the transitions more than a lower sample rate....say a sample rate of 50 times per second vs 1000 times per second?

This is more where my head is at....having nothing at all to do with the highest frequency of 3000hz.

Remember in the video where he shows for any given waveform there is one and only one series of samples that fit? Understand that and you'll see how multiple sources starting and stopping at different times. Even stopping and starting between samples the actual wave form shape at all points will be reconstructed.  Having extra samples as unintuitive as it seems will improve accuracy of reconstruction not at all.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This has been my experience.

Do you have some examples of Hybrid SACDs where the DSD layer sounds significantly better than the PCM layer and the masterings are identical?

my use of significant is probably different than yours....my use of significant would likely only be used in comparison of speakers.

For SACDs i have listened to, I probably would say steely dan gaucho is probably most obvious, but i never checked to see if it was from same master or not..., but i did compare cd track to sacd track.

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

my use of significant is probably different than yours....my use of significant would likely only be used in comparison of speakers.

For SACDs i have listened to, probably would say steely dan gaucho is pretty obvious.

Haven't listened to that one. 

12 minutes ago, esldude said:

Remember in the video where he shows for any given waveform there is one and only one series of samples that fit? Understand that and you'll see how multiple sources starting and stopping at different times. Even stopping and starting between samples the actual wave form shape at all points will be reconstructed.  Having extra samples as unintuitive as it seems will improve accuracy of reconstruction not at all.

compare 10 samples per second to 1000 samples per second, and the accuracy of the reconstruction would be more obvious, especially on a very complex waveform compared to a simple sine wave of one frequency.

I do concede to a few things though....

whereas i believe that on paper the higher the sample rate the higher the accuracy, that the processing and technology to actually implement at some point will outweigh the accuracy on paper (currently i believe to be around 8xDSD)

Additionally, i concede that just because something is more accurate doesn't mean that it is discernable (think can someone really tell the difference between a 600hz and a 600.00000001 hz signal.

But I also believe that our inability to recognize a difference doesn't mean they are not different, and i believe that our ability to hear some things (not talking about upper and lower ends of audible frequency range only), is not really measurable, especially when taking into consideration the infinite amount of chords....e.g. assume a person singing a note at 300hz at same time as a 20hz drum...someone suggested you average, ..but does the average really sound exactly like the two unique frequencies occuring at same time?  maybe?  but a higher sample rate would be better to identify the differences.

11 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

An hour or so ago   you said it was more difficult  than  you thought and you were 'giving up' so to speak. 

I gave you an 'uptick' for that. Not for giving up but because I thought it was 'honorable' of  you to say so,

Now you change your mind and because you  have totally  refused to accept the answers you got and continue to do so (even though you don't  understand them)  you get it wrong again (above).

sorry, i am not a robot....i lied if you want to call it that...i wouldn't.

thoughts will continue, and people continue to propose additional thinking.

you can leave if you want....most of your responses are troll nature anyway.

18 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

this doesn't take into consideration the infinite frequencies in a complex signal...

e.g. what does 9million singers sound like compared to 10 million singers sound like?

I will expand later....time for break (wink)

Ten trillion singers and a dog singing and barking... The Nyquist theorem proves that if you sample at 44KHz, your sampled data will EXACTLY reproduce the signal below 22KHz in sound frequency. That is it. Increasing the sample rate will increase the range you can encode.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics