IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

even man can create sound at an "infinite rate"...the plucking of a guitar for instance.

the complex waveform has an infinite number of frequencies, at an infinite number of time slices,  within it's own frequency range (between 50 and 300hz) that man just is not able to record accurately.

rate is the same thing as frequency

waveforms do not have an infinite number of frequencies, they have one frequency at any arbitrary point in time

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

45 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Hmmm ... it’s often though that SDM is less intuitive than PCM

It is. SDM is based on sampling, just like PCM, and then adds heaps of additional maths on top. If you don't understand sampling according to Shannon-Nyquist, you don't have a chance of understanding SDM.

45 minutes ago, jabbr said:

but it’s also described as “analog”

That is fundamentally wrong.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

Wrong. Frequencies don't exist at points in time. Waveforms have a set of frequencies (possibly only one) over an interval of time.

A dirac pulse is (or does it merely approach?) a state of energy at a "point in time" (or is this incorrect?), but by definition a frequency assumes a period of time...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 hours ago, mansr said:

That's a gross over-simplification but more accurate than the previously offered "explanation."

:)  Just setting the level of "simplification" at the level of the intended recipient.

My daughter is just starting the 3rd year of an Astronomy degree. In her first physics lecture yesterday, they began by saying "Everything we've taught you in the last two years was simplified. Now we're going to teach you how it really works."

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

i changed my name the moment that you did not sample....i changed it back the next moment you did not sample....you have the correct current name but you have no knowledge of the moment i changed my name....you are missing the details....but it doesn't matter now, because it is in the past.

This is incorrect. The moment that you changed your name in between samples was accurately recorded. Monty's video shows this happening - starting at about the 17 minute mark, he shows what happens when an event (the transition of a square wave) is moved between sampling instants. 

Edit: I think I misunderstood your example. You changed your name, then changed it back again, in between 2 samples. By definition, this equates to a frequency greater then half of the sampling rate. Nevertheless, if the name was different for a finite amount of time, some part of your name change was captured. Again, Monty shows this in the video.

Edit 2: No, on third reading, I think I understood you correctly the first time. I'll leave the second explanation for completeness. 

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

the complex waveform has an infinite number of frequencies, at an infinite number of time slices,  within it's own frequency range (between 50 and 300hz) that man just is not able to record accurately.

Nevertheless, provided those frequencies are all less than half of the sampling rate, they can be accurately sampled and reproduced.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

A Dirac pulse is a signal whose value is non-zero at one single instant and zero for infinite duration before and after. It contains all frequencies from zero to infinity throughout the infinitely long interval.

Ah, a pulse of the gods then...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

even man can create sound at an "infinite rate"...the plucking of a guitar for instance.

???

Aside from whether a truly infinite number of frequencies can exist — as I’ve said above they physically can’t — you should perform an exercise to demonstrate to yourself how close frequencies affect a common waveform:

Take an 8hz and a 10hz sine wave over a few seconds and additively combine the waves and plot. What do you see?

Take two 8hz waves having different phases and additively combine. What do you see?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

agree, this is more along my interests, and probably instead of starting a thread "understanding sample rate", in hind sight, i should have started a topic "why does sacd sound better than a cd for the layman". (wink)

What a lot of people in audio don't appreciate, even though they will always pay lip service to it, is that the quality of the implementation, how well the real world stuff does its job, is far, far more important to the subjective takeaway, than the "exciting" technology being used; the latter is the sort of thing that gets geeks in a lather, and produces brilliant numbers - but ultimately may not satisfy, long term, because some key things, which are not being measured, are not being done well enough.

SACD will sound better, for some people, than CD because the particular set of components happen to get some aspects of the reproduction "sounding better" - because the combo of design, parts, construction just happens, largely by accident, to do a better job of producing satisfying sound for those people. Men tend to be obsessed with stuff that produces impressive numbers, rather than a package that is balanced and "does everything well enough" - in audio, the latter is very, very important, and if not taken into account will result in a somewhat disappointing end point.

So, it's not the technology that matters - it's how well the bits of real world materials are put together to make it all work that dictate whether it gets a thumbs up, or down.

12 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I can't believe we are still arguing about a mathematical concept proven nearly a century ago. Just like Beer, you are wrong if you are talking about a periodic signal. Sampling over the Nyquist rate does nothing to improve the accuracy of the reproduction.

you have never taught Evolutionary Biology, have you?

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Whether an infinite number of frequencies can exist isn't important in practice. What matters is that they can't be infinitely high.

Whether a frequency can be infinitely high is neither important in practice because you can't detect it. 

The uncertainty principle places a limit on the ability to resolve closely space frequencies and SNR.

In any case the range of frequencies is similar to the range of velocities. Both have instantaneous values when used to describe objects. Both are real numbers whose measured values are described/bounded by physics.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

8 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Whether a frequency can be infinitely high is neither important in practice because you can't detect it. 

The uncertainty principle places a limit on the ability to resolve closely space frequencies and SNR.

In any case the range of frequencies is similar to the range of velocities. Both have instantaneous values when used to describe objects. Both are real numbers whose measured values are described/bounded by physics.

Let us keep it simple till the concepts are clear to those who don't know them.  We can fill in the real world limits and messiness later. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

waveforms do not have an infinite number of frequencies, they have one frequency at any arbitrary point in time

7 hours ago, mansr said:

Wrong. Frequencies don't exist at points in time. Waveforms have a set of frequencies (possibly only one) over an interval of time.

if frequencies don't exist at a point in time, what is being measured at sample time?

it may not be a frequency that can be output without time, but it is plotting a point of of the composite frequencies in the complex signal?

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

does a complex waveform not have multiple frequencies?  I believe we can hear more than one frequency at any one time.

Did you watch the video I recommended about how complex waveforms are created from simple waveforms?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Did you watch the video I recommended about how complex waveforms are created from simple waveforms?

I watched about 1 minute of it and was very interesed....i was planning on finishing watching that when i first got up....i should have before starting to read and respond (wink)...will go watch it now, before reading more....