IGNORED

Announcing the next generation: UltraCap LPS-1.2 (Now 5/7/9/12V! ; Now with parallel LT3045 regulators!)

3 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Speaking of cleverness, is there a "buck and boost" device for amperage?

I have devices for which 1.5A would offer a comfort cushion for their draw of 1+ A and 1.1 does not do it.

Apparently I am not alone since I troll a forum where posters are ganging 2 and 3 LT3045 boards to get over higher amperage.

Sorry BigGuy.  All the stuff I was explaining is what goes on on the input, charging side of the LPS-1.2.  Nothing can change the fact that the wonderful LT3045 is just a 500mA regulator (we use 2 of course and push them a bit to deliver a total 1,100mA).

The folks who are paralleling separate LT-3045 boards for more current need to be very careful--with matching to within a few milliVolts--or they will end up with one board bearing much more of the load.  I've hand-paired a few LPS-1 boards in the past to allow for parallel connection and higher current, but that is not a service we offer.  

Of course series connection of units for higher voltage can always be done by anyone. :)

Building a higher current UltraCap supply--say based on 6 LT3045s--would require larger everything!  Larger ultracaps, larger case, heat-sinks, different charging circuits, larger energizing supply, etc.   Don't anyone hold their breath for this from us!  x-D

As I write this I see a notice that John also replied.  Bet he says almost the same thing...

On 1/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, sgr said:

Many of us use the Lps-1 with REGEN ISO and The Rendu family. We heard what the LPS-1 did for these components.  So the $400 question? What improvements or differences can we look forward to hearing when the new LPS-1.2 arrive? 

Thanks,

Steven

Hi Steven:

The honest answer is that nobody--including John and me--knows yet. Technically the new LPS-1.2, with lower output impedance and the crazy low-noise regulators, offers superior performance. (And the expanded voltage range, power switch, and current monitoring port will be nice features for some.)

But how much will the technical advances translate into sonic improvements for the devices people typically power with our UltraCap supplies?  Beats me.  But a lot of folks will find out soon enough! :D

[One data point may be that a few people have added a popular DIY dual-LT3045 circuit board between their power supplies and end device--and they have reported nice results.  Yet our particular paralleling technique results in even lower output impedance than the method used on the DIY board.]

5 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Yes, I know there is no upgrade path! 

The point I was trying to make to anyone considering an upgrade is that there is no need for Uptone to offer once since it is very easy to sell the original LPS-1 now and that they should expect to be able to get around $325 for it! 

Also, I know it is 4 weeks for the current batch of pre-orders (I’m included in that batch and I can’t wait to get mine!! :)), I have the 4-8 week window in the event that the first batch of available units becomes sold out. 

I know you know you know I know...  :P

I replied for the benefit of others who might drop by.  

Ciao,

AJC

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

Does the 1.2 have the issues corrected from the measurements by Amir at ASR?  

Yes it does. This is detailed in the first announcement post in this thread, as well as the thread I linked to.  

It was always about the un-ground-shunted Mean Well allowing in the unique high-impedance form of leakage. 

Quoting from my first post:

Every UltraCap LPS-1.2 will come with a newly sourced 7.5V/4.8A/36W, world-voltage-compatible SMPS (see photo below). While our UltraCap supplies have always 100% blocked the path of low-impedance AC leakage (from its charger and the path from other connected components), recently discovered high-impedance leakage was able to enter. This is easily prevented by the shunting (connecting) of the SMPS charger’s DC output “ground” to AC mains ground (see this post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-734822.  The customized new SMPS we are including for charging already has that connection internally, so no high-impedance leakage ever enters the LPS-1.2.

5a5bfcf91f123_UpTone4.8Acharger.thumb.JPG.42ca3995a263aa76ac2ac84ef023e057.JPG

The comparison measurements (showing the high impedance leakage going away) in my link above were also posted long ago (October 2017) in the very thread of Amir's that you linked to. (https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-lps-1-linear-power-supply-review-and-measurements.1849/page-6#post-53828).  But you were there in that thread, so you knew that already... 9_9

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Will this power supply get warm or very hot in use?

Yes, our UltraCap power supplies will run anywhere from barely warm to rather hot, depending upon the current load they are called upon to provide.  But even running at its rated maximum output current of 1.1 amp continuously, the components inside are only at about half their rated temperature and there is nothing to worry about.  It is designed for longevity.

It is a small 4-inch case, so even if someone runs it near its limits, it won't add more than a few watts of heat to a room.  Nothing like a big power amp or large power supply. B|

Cheers,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, beautiful music said:

Love you Alex and John, My Wishes to success in your upcoming LPS-1.2

That's very kind of you to say.  Many thanks.  :)

Honestly, without the very receptive and appreciative audience--here at CA and elsewhere--we would not be going the lengths we do to develop and produce these complex products.

Frankly I am amazed at how much of the details (both technical and audible) you guys pick up on.  My own room/system continues to reveal and impress me, but I bet many of you have equally (or more) amazing systems!  I wish there was a way I could hear tour about and here some of what you folks have assembled.

Plus it would be wonderful to turn each other on to favorite musical artists.

Ciao,

--AJC 

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Señores @Superdad y @JohnSwenson

Simple question for you. Given the LPS-1.2 can now handle a larger voltage range, from 5-12V, will it sound better at one or other end of the range? I ask this because I wonder if lower voltages incur more stages of regulation? 

Looking forward to receiving my units to find out for myself!

Performance should be the same at all output voltage settings.  The same cascade of ultra-low-noise linear voltage regulators is used regardless of the setting.  We vary the level of charge given to the ultracapacitor strings.  So the LDO regs always receive just a volt or so more than what they are being asked to produce.

That's how we are even able to offer the LPS-1.2 with the wide 5-12V output range.  If we had to somewhere dump an extra 7 watts (7V/1A) of heat some where (to do 5V versus 12V), we would be in trouble!  :D

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Hi John

Thanks for the detailed answer. Do you ever get much sleep?

He hasn't in the last few weeks, but now--after all the last kinks have been worked out--he is managing to get more rest.  But his mind never stops! 9_9

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The amount of effort going into these designs from just yourself is mind boggling !

The topology and sophistication of the UltraCap design is indeed mind-boggling (for a little 1.1A LPS).  Often I have to stand on my head to understand each of the circuits as John explains them to me.

(Even though I think I am useless, John finds it very helpful to talk the thorniest issues through in detail.  And sometimes I'll ask a question from a different perspective that gets him thinking along a new line--and then he solves the problem!  I like when that happens.) 

There is a great deal of code in the FPGA to handle all the ins and outs of the UltraCap's operation.  It is amazing what he can fix and change just in software.

43 minutes ago, kilroy said:

Would be nice if this technology resulted in a full sized higher power LPS, say, a JS -2 replacement.

26 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It’s only a question of  you and others are willing to pay a lot...

Yup. A LOT.  To get up into the 5-7 amp range--with voltages to 12V and above--you are looking at $3K+, in a case twice the size of a JS-2.

26 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It has been confirmed long time ago that it can “easily” be done. 

Glad you put that "easily" in quotes.  x-D