6 hours ago, Narcissus said:

Sweet, i wish it had xlr outs & volume control, I could drive my monoblocks directly. Any ideas if that can be achieved?

That would be the Hugo TT, I suspect Cord will introduce an updated TT-2 version at some point.  The Qutest is available at the price it is precisely because it eschews all of those features.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 weeks later...

The below is from the What Hi-Fi site and is tantalising!!

It may have only just launched its Qutest DAC, but Chord plans to go big this Munich by unveiling a number of new products - with each one covering a distinct area of the brand’s portfolio, and one of which is (according to Chord) set to be a landmark product in the company's history. The curtains will be opened on the first day of the show.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

1 hour ago, flummoxe said:

It may have only just launched its Qutest DAC, but Chord plans to go big this Munich by unveiling a number of new products - with each one covering a distinct area of the brand’s portfolio, and one of which is (according to Chord) set to be a landmark product in the company's history. The curtains will be opened on the first day of the show.

Geez I hope I don't feel compelled to buy one.:S

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I’m interested in the Qutest - love the stripped down spec.  I currently use a Hegel HD fed from a microrendu 1.4 through a Schiit Eitr , and then coax into the Hegel. Sounds very good.  The Eitr was a breakthrough addition - so much better than USB on the Hegel.  Hard to imagine how much better the Chord could sound.  With the Chord I’d probably go back to using the USB connection directly from the mR, cutting out the Eitr. 

The competition for the Chord no-ones mentioning on this thread is the newish Mytek Liberty.  Equally stripped down approach, except it has MQA.  Many people are delighted with it and it’s significantly cheaper than the Chord Qutest.  Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare these two?  

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

28 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I’m interested in the Qutest - love the stripped down spec.  I currently use a Hegel HD fed from a microrendu 1.4 through a Schiit Eitr , and then coax into the Hegel. Sounds very good.  The Eitr was a breakthrough addition - so much better than USB on the Hegel.  Hard to imagine how much better the Chord could sound.  With the Chord I’d probably go back to using the USB connection directly from the mR, cutting out the Eitr. 

The competition for the Chord no-ones mentioning on this thread is the newish Mytek Liberty.  Equally stripped down approach, except it has MQA.  Many people are delighted with it and it’s significantly cheaper than the Chord Qutest.  Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare these two?  

If you look at the Darko DAC index you could see that even a better Mytex DAC than the Liberty is far below the Hugo 2, and the Qutest is even (slilghtly) better than the Hugo 2, as you can hear in his podcast on the same site from Darko.

https://darko.audio/the-darko-dac-index/

3 hours ago, flummoxe said:

The below is from the What Hi-Fi site and is tantalising!!

I hope it has a network port, spdif, usb, sd card and under $2K...if not, it will just be another yawner.

12 minutes ago, jos said:

If you look at the Darko DAC index you could see that even a better Mytex DAC than the Liberty is far below the Hugo 2, and the Qutest is even (slilghtly) better than the Hugo 2, as you can hear in his podcast on the same site from Darko.

Yep I noticed that.  But if you watch the Hans Beekhuyzen review of Hugo2 he found it's not quite as good as the Mytek Brooklyn Plus - and many would say that the Liberty SQ is every bit as good as the Brooklyn Plus.

It seems we've got opposing opinions from pro reviewers...

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

16 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Yep I noticed that.  But if you watch the Hans Beekhuyzen review of Hugo2 he found it's not quite as good as the Mytek Brooklyn Plus - and many would say that the Liberty SQ is every bit as good as the Brooklyn Plus.

+1

Too much marketing bias out there....they need DBT to determine if ANYTHING is truly better. ..i don't trust any professional reviewers....and consumers follow their advice...this industry needs better way to weed through all the competition to make our own shortlist.

30 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

That's true, but I prefer Darko's opinion (younger ears, more authority). It's also a question of taste, but in my opinion the Qutest is the better DAC for the money. Try to listen both. I do have the Qutest (with ultraRendu) and it was a major step forward.

45 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I hope it has a network port, spdif, usb, sd card and under $2K...if not, it will just be another yawner.

Dream on my friend...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 4/28/2018 at 2:53 PM, OldBigEars said:

Was hoping Darko would have tested the Halo Spring LV 3.  I've been listening to the T&A DSD DAC 8 on loan, very nice and would like to try the Halo Spring LV3 and the Quest.  Not that trilled with the Brooklyn + , I enjoy my Ayre Codex a lot more. A comparison of the Quest vs the Halo LV3 would be nice to see.

The Truth Is Out There

On 4/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, jos said:

I wouldn't put the fate of the audiophile world in the hands of a rating given by a single audio writer.

17 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I wouldn't put the fate of the audiophile world in the hands of a rating given by a single audio writer.

True, always take a broad approach to make a shortlist and be patient. I my case I just needed a pure DAC and was waiting and looking around for more then one year.

On 4/28/2018 at 12:36 PM, jos said:

That's true, but I prefer Darko's opinion (younger ears, more authority). It's also a question of taste, but in my opinion the Qutest is the better DAC for the money. Try to listen both. I do have the Qutest (with ultraRendu) and it was a major step forward.

I would think DARKO would be more likely to be biased with vendor relations than HANS....but i do trust Darko more than most magazine reviewers.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, jos said:

It's definitely a question of taste.  One would think there could be a single correct interpretation of how to go from D to A, but apparently there is not.  So we see the Sabre sound discussed or the AK sound, or whatever.  What's best, or is it someone's favorite flavor? 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, jos said:

Unfortunately Darko is using active speaker with built in ADC which is a crime in my standard to evaluate a DAC performance with that speaker.

24 minutes ago, barrows said:

And that still is a vast over-simplification.  There is no such thing as Sabre sound or AKM sound.  DACs incorporate a lot more than just a chip in a box!  The power supply design and I/V (in the case of Sabre) or analog output stage will have more influence on the sound than the conversion chip.

What's with the "vast oversimplification".  That's not polite.  Why is it that nobody around here can simply say they disagree, in so many words, instead of such exaggerated rhetoric?  I'm not running for office.  BTW, there are many who would agree with me.  I am of the view that a lot of things people say they are hearing like additional detail, are really something else.  Perhaps it's a result of the filter Chord uses.  Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing Chord.  Their products get rave reviews and have many happy owners.

4 hours ago, w1000i said:

Unfortunately Darko is using active speaker with built in ADC which is a crime in my standard to evaluate a DAC performance with that speaker.

Darko says his index also takes features into account, so it is not purely about SQ.  Is that a crime?  It sure muddies up the picture.  

6 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I am of the view that a lot of things people say they are hearing like additional detail, are really something else.  Perhaps it's a result of the filter Chord uses

Have you listened to the Chord DACs?  I am really not interested in "views" based on what (other apparently) "people say they are hearing"!  It appears that you are speculating about sound quality issues based on hearsay?

The fact is that Chord's filter approaches are more accurate than many, and if any filter would create sounds that are not actually there in the original audio files it would be leaky, inaccurate filters such as those used by MQA and Ayre.  Chord's filter design approach is more about accuracy than creating false details as you seem to suppose.  I would suggest that you take a bit of time over at stereophile.com and look at the measurements of various DAC's digital filter responses vs. Chord DAVE.  What you will find is that the Chord approach produces less i the way of artifacts than many other DACs.

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

Have you listened to the Chord DACs?  I am really not interested in "views" based on what (other apparently) "people say they are hearing"!  It appears that you are speculating about sound quality issues based on hearsay?

That's a rather combative bunch of accusations.  It's about what you think about me rather than what I have to say.

1 minute ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

That's a rather combative bunch of accusations.  It's about what you think about me rather than what I have to say.

?  "appears", these are not accusations they are asking for additional clarity as to where your "view" is coming from.

I have no interest in attacking you, but at the same time if I am listening to speculation based on no direct experience then i would appreciate knowing that.  Especially considering that your "view" is actually opposed to my direct experience of listening to Chord DACs.  When you suggest that Chord DACs are presenting artifacts instead of actual musical details:

29 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I am of the view that a lot of things people say they are hearing like additional detail, are really something else

I think it is appropriate to challenge that viewpoint, as that is not my experience.

SONORE computer audio