Personally I am no fan of MQA, but it may be added to the Rendu firmware, that would be a question for Jesus.

I use Audirvana, so I could already decode MQA if I ever wanted to.  If you are using Audirvana+, you can already decode MQA with it as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

Personally I am no fan of MQA, but it may be added to the Rendu firmware, that would be a question for Jesus.

I use Audirvana, so I could already decode MQA if I ever wanted to.  If you are using Audirvana+, you can already decode MQA with it as well.

I am not a fan too, but for people with Tidal it will be nice to have and a reason not to buy an MQA DAC, but the UltraRendu instead. A+ is doing the first unfolding, but after that there have to be a second one to make the unfolding complete.

btw... this is how I'm rolling my Qutest ;)

(details are in my signature)

Chord Qutest & Co.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

20 minutes ago, jos said:

A+ is doing the first unfolding, but after that there have to be a second one to make the unfolding complete.

There is no second unfold, after the first unfold, it's basically done at that point.  There can be MQA filters and further upsampling applied by a MQA renderer.  The Sonore couldn't do the renderer portion as it's only a network endpoint, not a DAC.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Rendus will not be allowed to the so called "second unfolding", that is only allowed in DACs (part of MQA's nefarious marketing plans in my opinion).  So only the first unfold would be possible in any case.

BTW, the so called "second unfold" is nothing more than an oversampling step with the MQA filter.  Anyone with Audirvana+ can do this oversampling, and they can mimic the MQA filter if they want a filter which is that leaky, or they can make another filter type (which could be better...).  After the first 'unfold" there is no more solution to be had.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Roon Server running on a Mac mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2) > Auralic Aries (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR) > UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1) > Audiophilleo SE (powered by its PurePower Battery) > Chord Qutest (powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2) > Don Garber Fi "Y" (6922 tube pre) > Don Garber Fi "X" (2A3 power amplifier) > Klipsch Cornwall III

:)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

10 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

There is no second unfold, after the first unfold, it's basically done at that point.  There can be MQA filters and further upsampling applied by a MQA renderer.  The Sonore couldn't do the renderer portion as it's only a network endpoint, not a DAC.

Actually, we probably could do it, physically, in the Rendu, as we likely have enough processing power to make it happen, but MQA would not allow it, only in DACs.  Just another point against MQA's approach, not allowing the "full unfold" to be done in software players.  This how they sell MQA to DAC makers, saying look at how many new DACs you will sell!

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Roon Server running on a Mac mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2) > Auralic Aries (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR) > UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1) > Audiophilleo SE (powered by its PurePower Battery) > Chord Qutest (powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2) > Don Garber Fi "Y" (6922 tube pre) > Don Garber Fi "X" (2A3 power amplifier) > Klipsch Cornwall III

Thanks, very impressive. I guess it could not be done better! But my wife...(you known)

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Actually, we probably could do it, physically, in the Rendu, as we likely have enough processing power to make it happen, but MQA would not allow it, only in DACs.  Just another point against MQA's approach, not allowing the "full unfold" to be done in software players.  This how they sell MQA to DAC makers, saying look at how many new DACs you will sell!

There is an announcement on the Sonore website on the page of the UltraRenu, that MQA will come soon for every DAC. That was tricking me.

8 minutes ago, jos said:

There is an announcement on the Sonore website on the page of the UltraRenu, that MQA will come soon for every DAC. That was tricking me.

In addition: it was on the small green computer site, sorry.

50 minutes ago, De said:

I think ifi iPower should be a good upgrade.

sbooster is way, way, way better.  IFI is the least effective power supply for the ultraRendu.  

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

IFI is the least effective power supply for the ultraRendu.

I'm glad somebody finally said it.  Sonore should stop selling them.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

IfI is a capable entry level supply, the Rendus do better with it than many other products that serve up USB audio, but like anything, they can be improved upon.

The reason the Signature Rendu SE is quite a bit more expensive is due to the no compromise power supply, so there is more performance to be eeked out there.

SONORE computer audio

ooops, sorry: thought this was the Chord Qutest thread :P

headphones system:

10 hours ago, De said:

I think ifi iPower should be a good upgrade.

Of course, to start with. I think I will start with the Uptone USB Regen standard power supply, together with the Sbooster Ultra upgrade for this device. This if I can't sell my Regen right now. Later on I can buy the Sbooster, or something similar.

4 hours ago, barrows said:

IfI is a capable entry level supply, the Rendus do better with it than many other products that serve up USB audio, but like anything, they can be improved upon.

The reason the Signature Rendu SE is quite a bit more expensive is due to the no compromise power supply, so there is more performance to be eeked out there.

Yes, I known, but far to expensive for me.

On 07/03/2018 at 6:37 AM, pl_svn said:

Happy with the lps1.2 on the qutest?

Looking to maybe get both ... upgrade from ifi micro idsd bl.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

very happy! sensibly better than the 2Qute, powered by a JS-2, it replaced :)

I have, though, tried the stock SMPS only in my secondary system using the Qutest instead of Arie mini's internal DAC and... it really was night and day there ;)

headphones system:

Thanks, promising! - what power cable did you use from the lps1.2 to the micro usb input on the qutest?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

a 5.5x2.1 DC barrel plug to USB Micro cable custom built by Ghent Audio based on their DC01 :)

headphones system:

Yes, what I had in mind - been happy with my ghents thus far, including the dc1!

Gotta get the dac first ...