IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

6 hours ago, bibo01 said:

I looked at NAMD site extensively, but I was not able to find a list of benchmark results, or at least what I found was referring to the number of nodes in parallel computing, not to a list of CPUs which is what we want.

Problem is that people would need to buy CPUs to figure out how they perform. While, IMO, idea with benchmarks is that you would know before buying by just looking at published listings... So I'd look for some well established benchmark that gets as close as possible to same CPU order.

Looking at these, I guess both POV-Ray and CFD tests are good and maybe HQPlayer is somewhere between the two:

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-threadripper-2920x-and-2970wx-review?page=4

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu-review?page=5

CFD puts somewhat similar stress on RAM and cache, although maybe a bit more. While POV-Ray is otherwise computationally heavy.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

someone familiar with the software design could make a good estimate as to whether raw clock speed, # cores, use of a GPU, etc. mattered the most...

It is just that there is no any single defining variable, but combination of. And for example CPU cache performance is sort of black magic which you don't know until you run a certain usage pattern on it... And different CPU architectures perform differently with same code, even if they have same clock speed, number of cores and amount of cache.

HQPlayer can use any number of CPU/CUDA cores per channel.

If you look for example this screen shot, you can see number of threads (77) in use from the resource monitor in top right corner:

xtr-load-new.thumb.png.fbc37fceb2132ae11089138cf18440c4.png

Or this from Mac (54 threads):

1490208434_ScreenShot2017-10-29at0_36_00.thumb.png.a157a741d3a8662db2b4a974a4b61150.png

(and no, they are not all doing DSP work, most of them are actually sleeping)

5 hours ago, Miska said:

It is just that there is no any single defining variable, but combination of. And for example CPU cache performance is sort of black magic which you don't know until you run a certain usage pattern on it... And different CPU architectures perform differently with same code, even if they have same clock speed, number of cores and amount of cache.

sure, but the question is the shape of the response surface in multi-factorial space - I understand it is non-trivial

• 2 weeks later...

The new Mac Minis were mentioned a few pages back, has anyone tried them out with HQPlayer?  What are their processing limitations with HQPlayer?

I was going to buy one as a media server, but if it could also be used for HQPlayer as well maybe I should go for the higher end model.

Anyone have experience with them yet?

8 minutes ago, Jens_G said:

Today I have completed the built of my new Audio PC. I’m very happy so far and I can confirm that the Xeon E5-2689v4 can upsample 44.1kHz to DSD512 using poly-sinc-xtr (non -2s) without hickups. CPU load is at approx. 44%.

Thanks for sharing. Can it also do 44.1 to DSD512x48 ?

If your DAC supports DSD512x48, what is that CPU load approx.?

14 hours ago, Jens_G said:

Today I have completed the built of my new Audio PC. I’m very happy so far and I can confirm that the Xeon E5-2689v4 can upsample 44.1kHz to DSD512 using poly-sinc-xtr (non -2s) without hickups. CPU load is at approx. 44%.

Do you have a single or dual socket system? So do you have two of those CPUs? Just asking because it supports dual-socket...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, salaryman said:

ploy-sinc-xtr-mp - ASDM7 - 44.1k x512 - SDM(DSD)

No glitch, very smooth playback,

Have you tried the EC modulators at DSD256?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's