IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

40 minutes ago, elan120 said:

No, I didn't see that report...thanks for the link.  I am looking forward to the result of this new PC as well, but it won't be ready for another couple weeks minimum until few mods are done.  Lots of work ahead.

I am more interested in this one: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62479/amds-new-32c-64t-ryzen-threadripper-launching-august-13/index.html

If my motherboard can handle the 250W of either the 2990x or 2950x, I might have a threadripper 1950x up for sale!   

• 1 month later...

Building a new PC for HQPlayer and Roon.Like to do all dsd256 using all filters on PCU alone no cud’s.Looking at 2 PCU.

i7-7820X X-Series 3.6GHz 8 Core Processor With 11MB Cache!

8700k.Looking for opinions on will either of these two do the job,and which one would be better ? Thanks

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Miska  what’s your opinion on 7820X or 8700k.Looking to do all dsd256 filters without Cuba ?

That's CUDA.  Nobody needs Cuba.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Not sure if anybody has tried both the Threadripper 1920x and the 1950x and if looks like it's an 'either or' sort of decision but would there be a significant performance difference between the two in terms of handoing the more demand filters (the elusive xtr family)? 

I have all the other components in my build in place but I keep hesitating between these two cpu's. 

Thanks in advance for your for any input you guys can offer. 

If you live close to a MicroCenter, the 1950x is $599.  If you can get it at that cost, I think it is a no brainer.  

I have a 1950x - I am quite happy with it.  Unfortunately, I can't give you a comparison with the 1920x, but can tell you, HQPlayer can do about anything with the 1950x.

Sadly there's a fairly big price difference between the two but the old saying 'in for a penny in for a pound' springs to mind as I know I'd be frustrated if the 1920x shortcomings (if indeed there are any) became clear from the start.

But yeah, the 1950x is almost  double the price here... Perhaps when the 2050x gets some market traction the 1950x will come down in price. 

Either way, appreciate your feedback.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi n2it, what can’t the 1950x do?

Is that the Embedded version of HQP you use or Windows?

Windows 

It can't do 48kHz to DSD512x44.1kHz using poly-sinc-xtr-mp (non 2s).  I can't remember the other poly-sinc-xtr but think they were the same.  Poly-sinc-xtr-mp 2s 512 and changing to 256 non-2s both worked.  (There is a fix ... once @AMR/iFi audio gets off their butt and updates to the latest USB drivers supplied by Thesycon ... or I could switch to Linux)

Also, on my DAC / USB driver that supports DSD512x48, I had no problems with poly-sinc-xtr-mp with a 48khz source to 512x48.

1 minute ago, n2it said:

It can't do 48kHz to DSD512x44.1kHz using poly-sinc-xtr-mp (non 2s)

I'm not sure anyone has this working yet, in the wild, with any CPU.

1 minute ago, n2it said:

(There is a fix ... once @AMR/iFi audio gets off their butt and updates to the latest USB drivers supplied by Thesycon ...

Which iFi DAC?

Just now, Em2016 said:

I'm not sure anyone has this working yet, in the wild, with any CPU

I've been tempted to see if I can get it to work if I a overclock the 1950x just to find out, but would have to update my cooling.  There is a new threadripper coming out that has 32 cores ... but it is too expensive!

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Which iFi DAC?

I have the xDSD, but it would be any of theirs that support DSD 512, since they all use the same Windows USB driver/version.  

10 minutes ago, n2it said:

I've been tempted to see if I can get it to work if I a overclock the 1950x just to find out, but would have to update my cooling.  There is a new threadripper coming out that has 32 cores ... but it is too expensive!

Wowza, that's all some serious horsepower. All way out of my budget sadly ?

I was able to test non-2s filters (except xtr) with an i7-8700, at DSD512 and compared with the 2s versions and honestly couldn't hear a difference (to my ears), so will happily stick with the 2s filters. My wallet is happy with that decision too. Plus it allowed for more budget room for the new Pro iDSD.

I have a fanless i7-7700T build coming soon, which will run HQP Embedded.

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, salaryman said:

Hi, I'm not a newbie to this forum but this is my first post.

Just want to let you know my testing on using some old used Xeon to play around hqp DSD512 with poly_sinc_xtr_mp.

The test run with new instsalled Win10 Pro with no optimizers yet,  to a winsvr 2016 NUC NAA and T+A DAC8 DSD.

1) Xeon e5-2670 C1 (8C16T) + X79 + DDR1333 ECC 4G x4

2s okay, non-2s not ok

2) Xeon e5-2660 v2 (10C20T) + X79 + DDR1333 ECC 4G x4

2s okay, non-2s not ok

3) Xeon e5-2683 v3 (14C28T) + X99 + DDR2133 8G x2

non-2s ok

Set #3 would be a cheap alternative which cost about 35% of new TR set.

Hi salaryman,

on #3, are you able to provide details on how you achieved non-2s on this hardware? On a similar system (xeon e5-2683v3, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 2x4G G.Skill DDR4-2133,  debian stretch 9-5,) I'm not getting anywhere near DSD512 with a non-2s filter. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, AudioXP said:

Hi salaryman,

on #3, are you able to provide details on how you achieved non-2s on this hardware? On a similar system (xeon e5-2683v3, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 2x4G G.Skill DDR4-2133,  debian stretch 9-5,) I'm not getting anywhere near DSD512 with a non-2s filter. 

Cheers

I noticed that the CPU run full core at 2.0Ghz in other 2 X99 boards but it run full core at 2.5G on this MSI board. This maybe the difference.

My best guess is someone had installed a modified BIOS on the MSI, before reaching my hands.  I can’t verified now as my board has already been sold.

5 hours ago, AudioXP said:

Thanks, salaryman, for your quick answer. @Miska, I'm running the latest HQPe (4.6.1). Tried on both Ubuntu 18.04 and debian 9-5. Results were similar, in that I'm far away from full load on all/any cores.

What kind of system load figure does "top" show when trying to do DSD512 with non-2s filters? Are you trying within same rate family or between rate families? I think former should work, latter likely doesn't.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers