IGNORED

Article: USB Audio Driver Security Risk

Good thing that the new drivers don't include the certificate.

Users have been advised to manually remove previously installed certificates.

Maybe publicize how to remove the root certificate.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Exactly why home computers should have nothing, ..NOTHING, ..to do with audio, much less audiophilia. 

get a box as far removed from computer madness as possible.

All in one.  Plug and play.  Stream.  If you can read email and listen to music at the same time, you are wrong.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

9 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Exactly why home computers should have nothing, ..NOTHING, ..to do with audio, much less audiophilia. 

get a box as far removed from computer madness as possible.

All in one.  Plug and play.  Stream.  If you can read email and listen to music at the same time, you are wrong.

I love your certainty :~)

I blame the HiFi companies for every day computers getting popular with audiophiles. We started using them because there was no alternative to purchase. Plus, many of the options available today are so dang expensive. Thus, email, web, and music reside in one :~|

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love your certainty :~)

I blame the HiFi companies for every day computers getting popular with audiophiles. We started using them because there was no alternative to purchase. Plus, many of the options available today are so dang expensive. Thus, email, web, and music reside in one :~|

I know, I know, I just get so frustrated when stuff doesn’t work. Maybe the internet of things can get my refrigerator to play music with refrigerator reliability.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I remember several years ago arguing with a manufacturer about the negatives to using custom drivers rather than USB Class 2 drivers built into the operating system. Looks like another vote for native OS drivers.

Just that those drivers for commercial OS like Windows and macOS severely lack in features, like native DSD support and such.

Manufacturers just have to learn how to do their own drivers and do it properly. Software is as much part of the product quality as is the hardware design. They've just been slacking on software front. Some manufacturers have their own drivers and know how to do things, that gives them competitive advantage over some other vendors. Sometimes it is contracted work, sometimes they have in-house developers. Contracting software work is also art of it's own.

From my perspective, it also looks like another vote for open source drivers and platforms like Linux, where the native OS drivers support features like native DSD... ;)

P.S. From the story it looks like someone wanted to save a bit of money by not obtaining proper code signing key for Windows. It costs just a bit over 200€/year... Meaning that the installer of the driver probably wasn't signed either. And OS will warn you about that. I would advise to never execute unsigned installers on your computer... You can right-click on the installer, select Properties and then Digital Signatures tab to check who signed the package. If there's no Digital Signatures tab, it is unsigned.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers