IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

5 hours ago, skikirkwood said:

I had two summer jobs in college working at IBM in Sterling Forest, NY.  The first summer as a computer operator (IBM 370s and magnetic tape) and the second summer as an APL programmer.  Loved getting paid as a college kid to hack APL code. 

APL is a  work of genius. It's still in use in statistics and 'science'.

I became the APL head support person for Europe. Simply because I  happened to share an office with the previous  one. I had no great expertise in it :D

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

any votes for threaded, interpretive languages?

I just turned 60 last December and thought I was old - but it sounds like I'm in the company of a bunch of retired geezers here. :)

You got my vote.  In college it was Lisp, Fortran, Pascal, Assembly and a few odd additional languages.  At HP Labs I used Lisp, C++ at SGI, then Java.  After 20 years of being management overhead a friend of mine talked me into starting a company with him and since we had no funding I had to hack out the product myself, so taught myself Drupal, which is written in PHP and uses MySQL.  

More recently when the Volumio project was doing Volumio 2 and they needed help I learned Node.js and wrote the Spotify plugin for them. If you are running Volumio and using Spotify that is the code of this 60 year old geezer. PHP 7 rocks, JavaScript/Node.js is even better.

But can we get back on topic and continue trashing ML here....

3 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

I take that back.  ML is the Cobol of journalism.  Obsolete, with the only followers being aging people with very limited technical skills, a high degree of verbosity,  poor support for structured thinking, with a result of incomprehensible programs.

.... and whose relevance peaked in 1970.  Boom!

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.02.2018 at 10:03 AM, Spacehound said:

APL is a  work of genius. It's still in use in statistics and 'science'.

I became the APL head support person for Europe. Simply because I  happened to share an office with the previous  one. I had no great expertise in it :D

Yes, I agree and I also used APL to work with my stats assignments. By the way, I also worked in IBM during my study in college in the summer. It was a good time and had a good experience solving various tasks.

2 hours ago, afrond said:

Yes, I agree and I also used APL to work with my stats assignments. By the way, I also worked in IBM during my study in college in the summer. It was a good time and had a good experience solving various tasks.

Isn't R the go-to language for statistics and data mining these days? APL is so old school :)

As for IBM, them kicking my entire department out is probably the best thing that's happened to us in a long time. Everybody's doing really well now. And it's not like one will miss seeing IBMers anyway. Sales presentation with any IT vendor these days is almost guaranteed to have ex-IBMer on the vendor side.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, skikirkwood said:

[...] Cobol [...]  Obsolete, with the only followers being aging people with very limited technical skills, a high degree of verbosity,  poor support for structured thinking, with a result of incomprehensible programs.

Verbosity? I'm married to a COBOL person and she's the one accusing me of being wordy and using flowery language. But I'm a Hosting Architect. My job is to talk and write length documents. If you have something you want hosted at the corporate datacenter, you can't avoid coming to see somebody from my department. We'll make sure the stuff sits on appropriate infrastructure. The language/framework/interfaces/technology stack/OS you use are secondary, unless some corporate IT policy is violated.

On 14/02/2018 at 2:54 AM, Milt99 said:

In several aspects, I'm not particularly a fan of Fremer but in other aspects, I love the guy.

Addressing this article, Fremer was right on. I subscribe to WSJ and read the article in question when published.

I gave up vinyl at the dawn of the Digital Age but Shah's article stunk.

Vinyl is one of the niche products that is giving life to the music retail industry and like it or not, makes possible

a lot of hi-res releases and vice versa.

IMO, whether like me you haven't bought an album since the early 80's or you are a true vinylite, both product channels

feed the same thing, the desire for the best recorded music that fits your taste.

FWIW, there is much more Lavorgna-like private email exchange between Mike Fremer & an Internet critic from several years ago.

Let's just say while Lavorgna got straight to the point, Fremer expounded at length what he thought of the person.

For the record here are two examples of Fremer's class:

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&postID=1964#1964

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RR-FREMER-A.html

AC75Promo-600.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Fremer-I-Can-Take-A-Joke/release/7384719

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

51 minutes ago, rando said:

Mellifluous laughter escaped me at reading this title to the first linked post.

Re: Michael Fremer Responds to Romy the p____ 

Mikey has always been known to sugar coat his opinions. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

idk, could you loan me your finch?  :D

all in good fun, right ralfie? how does your own medicine taste?

Scrumptious and tasty Meat Lasagna vs. "annoying f#$k" & puke?

Your kidding right???  His medicine tastes much better, and has a bit of class.  Yours is just, well, it is what it is...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!