IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Peter:

(Before I comment, everyone here should know that there is much mutual respect between Peter and myself--well, really between Peter and John Swenson as myself I am nothing, not an engineer. B|)

Peter, I'll be sending you a PM to purchase your new cable.  I am nothing if not curious--and of course always looking to improve my music system!  :D

Best,

--Alex C.

Would love to read your comments on using the Lush USB cable with ISO Regen, Alex. 

Also curious about its use into compared to out of the unit. 

BTW: I am using a DIY USB connector from ISO Regen to DAC that I like more than the supplied USBPC because I find it more LUSH (hope that isn't a registered trademark).  o.O

Doak 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Let's see. So far you have the best DAC in the world, the best USB decrapifier in the world, the best USB cable in the world, and now the best speakers in the world.

Yet, somehow, I am not surprised......

I know speakers better than anything else after 45 yrs in this and I'd bet the wad that the Orelo is a true contender. 

14 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Doak - Yes, "dense" would be a most good description. I myself used different words for the same (and I forgot the words). Maybe I wrote it in the context of coherence (but at the micro level) and otherwise it would be the same as the individual transients which "connect" better. Anyway, it creates these firm / straight / taut string sounds, for example.

But please express it and all as you like. For now I only try to recognize whether it works out the same everywhere.

Thanks,

Peter

Today's obervation(s):

The gap between PCM and DSD has been all but closed. My DAC (see signature) has dedicated "engines" for each, and I've had a distinct preference for it's DSD playback.  What I'd noticed most with PCM was a some graininess at the edges of notes along with a slight hollowness. Listening through my PCM reference playlist today I do not detect a bit of either of those undesirable qualities. 

Words of the Day: REFINED & MEATY

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

A bug is just a word to use to say that the system isn't performing as well as it could, within the constraints of its design. So, a system will only be able to go so loud, before the amplifier starts clipping - the latter is deeply locked into the design, and is not worth trying to improve - but that is no impediment to the rig doing everything right up to that point; if a setup can't go loud without showing signs of stress, well, that's a bug.

Every time a system produces noticeable distortion, audible anomalies, that is a sign that something can be done to improve the performance. The only reason that I usually can pick the likely culprit is because I've spent years doing this, and one builds up a repertoire of understanding and intuition about where to look.

The problems that are being termed "bugs" here are things that I consider and call "elephants." 

IMO, reasonably experienced and competent audiophiles should have addressed most or all of the elephants in their systems.  Many of the "tweaks" we use and discuss here are more like "mice" compared to the basic system competences you cite. 

Not to say that the mice aren't important. As we've seen and learned, they make a significant contribution to the overall sound and enjoyment of a system. Could be just a different way of putting it, though I thought it an important distinction. 

43 minutes ago, fas42 said:

A fair enough viewpoint. However, I make no such distinction - as an example, many systems may go loud, but are highly unpleasant when they do so. Subjectively, the impact may be "elephant", but the real cause is a "bug" - meaning that the answer won't necessarily be to get a really, really powerful amplifier: I have heard 15W amplifiers have far greater 'loudness' impact than 500W ones - because the latter haven't been "tweaked", but the former have ...

That's why they call it a "system."

54 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Yes. Me too, Absolutely love the ignore user feature. No burn in needed, one click and peace is restored without any debate or discussion. Bye bye, Love it. ?

Thanks for mentioning this amazingly, gratifyingly useful feature of which I have herefore not used to my advantage. ;)