IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

My USBridge (purchased in Nov 2018) has begun acting up.  I'm using it as a Roon endpoint, and the issue that has developed is that it plays well for 5-10 minutes, then stops playing.  When this happens, I can still access the unit via the Web GUI and SSH, but Roon won't restart.  Only a reboot or powercycle will restore Roon.  

Initially, I thought a recent upgrade to DietPi 6.25.3 might have borked the unit or filesystem, so I removed the eMMC and flashed a fresh mSD card with a fresh copy of Allo's DietPi (with GUI) that I downloaded from the website.  It happens to be version 6.18.14.  Unfortunately, the unit behaves the same, so I'm beginning to fear I have a hardware problem.  I've replicated this using 2 different DACs (Meridian Director and Emotiva DC-1).  Soundcard is set to USB-DAC mode.  

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can follow to determine what is going on?  How should I proceed?

Hello all, my setup is PC under Windows 10, with LMS Version 7.9.2 and Usbridge under Dietpi Version 6.25.3 and TEAC UD-503 dac. When I change resolution 16bis 44,1 for High res or DSD during listening I have "Pocs" on my speakers same problem when Ichange dsd or high res for CD format. Where is the problem and what can I do for not have pocs on my speakers?

Sorry for my language I'm french.

Charon

• 2 weeks later...

@Allo @ALLOsupport Hi just bought my usbridge, if I may ask what's the final noise value from the usb port when the usbridge is powered via  your included 5v psu, and would a good LPSU with around 20uV noise further reduce the final noise coming from the usb port, or will it be limited by the internal LDO, depending on which one is used.

I also actually think it's better to power the usbridge with only one PSU due to mains leakage concerns with using 2 PSU.

Hello,

I have an Allo Sparky USBridge with Diet Pi installed.

This SBC has an infrared port interface and my question is- did anyone configure it to power it ON and OFF by IR remote control?

@Allo @ALLOsupport can you provide instructions how to configure it?

I have a smartphone with IR port and irplus app installed and I'm using it to power ON and OFF my amplifier and DAC and would be great if I could use it as well to control Sparky.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Przemek

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone with a Denafrips Terminator new DSP board (thesycon) seems the allo bridge won't work with it. Are there any planned updates to support this DAC? @Allo @ALLOsupport @Audio_Allo

or any workaround to make it work?

If it helps below

root@ALLO-LIVING:~# lsusb 
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 152a:86ef Thesycon Systemsoftware & Consulting GmbH 
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0424:2412 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

root@ALLO-LIVING:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=aotg_hcd/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/2p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=aotg_hcd/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=ax88179_178a, 480M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
root@ALLO-LIVING:~# 
root@ALLO-LIVING:~# 

-bash: aply: command not found
root@ALLO-LIVING:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: atm7059link [atm7059_link], device 0: ATC2603C PCM atc2603c-dai-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: atm7059link [atm7059_link], device 1: HDMI PCM atm7059-hdmi-dai-1 []
card 0: atm7059link [atm7059_link], device 2: SPDIF PCM atm7059-spdif-dai-2 []
card 1: Audio [USB HiRes Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1

25 minutes ago, naum said:

Usbridge is no longer available on Allo website. It is no longer on the menu among other transport devices...

It have been discontinued I know that, that doesn't mean they will stop supporting immediately. IF they do no one will purchase any more of their devices or the incoming ones. 

See this thread for info on Allo's replacement, their USBBridge Signature:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-7.html

It is a mostly RPi-compliant device, so will work with all of the available RPi distros / player SW sets. Support effort required from Allo should be much lower, the only non-compliant part (from what they've released so far) is the need to install a USB driver for their HW configuration that also fixes the issue with USB versus Ethernet resource conflicts on the stock RPis through the 3 (fixed now on the 4).

They did make a comment about support for the USBBridge continuing for some time... see post # 308. I figure the original USBBridge will end up being a lot like my Sony HAP Z1-ES... no new firmware/SW updates likely, will work with existing externalities for some time, but nothing new. So still a functioning device, but not keeping up with new developments. That's the reality of HW!

Personally, I'm pretty excited about Allo's USBBridge Signature. It is like an RPi-based Sonore Ultra-Rendu, but able to run any RPi-abled Distro/SW sets. Will be interesting to see how it fares in the marketplace. BUT for people using the RPi to get an I2S signal to feed to DIY DACs like myself (or others using an I2S->HDMI module to feed to a DAC like a PS Audio Directstream) it should be about as good as we can get.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

5 hours ago, gstew said:

Personally, I'm pretty excited about Allo's USBBridge Signature. It is like an RPi-based Sonore Ultra-Rendu, but able to run any RPi-abled Distro/SW sets. Will be interesting to see how it fares in the marketplace. BUT for people using the RPi to get an I2S signal to feed to DIY DACs like myself (or others using an I2S->HDMI module to feed to a DAC like a PS Audio Directstream) it should be about as good as we can get.

Greg in Mississippi

Agreed, Greg, it is pretty exciting.  As I understand it, it will also be possible to add a Digione Signature to it, to create a USB/SPDIF output streamer.  Looks to be sub-$250, based on comments posted in that thread.  

I'm still surprised that they've already pulled the original USBridge, though, even before the USBridge Signature is released.  Seems out of line with what they've done with the Digione/ Digione Signature, for example.  Hopefully, this means that the release of the Signature is imminent.  

Just flash the USBridge image to another SD card because of card corruption.

However, I got error during login on the web interface (per attached photo).  Can anyone kindly advise how to fix this? 

Also, I have tried many times and failed to transfer the image to the eMMC.  Is it possible to do the transfer on Windows?

Many thanks!  

error.jpg

I have failed to reflash the EMMC several times.  Every time I copy the image to the SD Card according to the website instruction, the USBridge cannot boot up.  So I choose to  boot from SD card instead.  

This time after transferring the image to the SD Card using Etcher, I cannot boot to the Allo web interface.  Suspect the back end is having problems so some services cannot be loaded.

Hello,

Did anyone used USBridge with DietPi + Squeezelite and 2 DACs at the same time?

I connect two DACs, one to USB port on Sparky and the other to clean USB port on USBridge. Both DACs are visible:

root@DietPi:~# ls -l /proc/asound/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Aug 27 07:57 atm7059link -> card0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 card0
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 card1
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 card2
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 cards
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Aug 27 07:57 D10 -> card1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 hwdep
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 pcm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Aug 27 07:57 Qutest -> card2
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 27 07:57 version
root@DietPi:~#

Unfortunately, it turns out that DAC connected to USB port on Sparky (card1) seems to be Primary, since only that one works, the other one card2 does not work.

I think (but may be wrong) that it is needed to edit file /etc/systemd/system/squeezelite.service and indicate there that there are two DACs available:

root@DietPi:~# cat /etc/systemd/system/squeezelite.service
[Unit]
Description=squeezelite

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:8096:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -D :u32be

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
root@DietPi:~#

Next it will be possible to choose which player / DAC should be used (as in attached picture).

dietpi.thumb.png.34ac8bf0279d3a15a5ccfa4a5a088834.png

However I'm not able to achieve this...

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Przemek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I wanted to ask for any tips in regards to HQPlayer and keeping the connection with NAA on my USBridge.

Before I explain a bit more, here is some detail on my set up. I have a NUC running my Roon Core and HQPlayer, it connects to a Netgear 16 port unmanaged switch (GS116UK), before going off around my house via Ethernet cable. The music is stored on a Synology DS918+ NAS, connected to the same switch (both NUC and NAS in a cupboard, squirrelled away). In my main lounge set-up, the Ethernet cable connects into another GS116UK before connecting to my USBridge. The USBridge feeds a Mytek Liberty DAC, and I usually upscale to DSD 256, it sounds great. The USBridge is on the latest version, 6.23.3. I only have Roon Bridge and NAA enabled via the Allo webpage. I am in the UK and have a BT Smart Hub 2, I believe this is a DHCP only router and this connects to the same switch my USBridge connects too.

Anyway, I have discussed this issue across on the Roon forums (including discussing it with HQPlayer author) but I have not been able to solve it. Basically, if I start my equipment up in a particular order (I have tried all the combinations), then occasionally HQPlayer with 'see' the NAA on the USBridge. When this happens I generally leave well alone and don't turn anything off, however all my kit (NUC, NAS etc) is in a cupboard in the spare bedroom and can be noisy overnight and so when we have guests I have to turn it off. Whenever this happens its a right pain trying to get HQPlayer to 'see' the NAA on the USBridge again, and to get that connection back I have to turn equipment off and on and I am yet to hit on the right combination which is repeatable. Sometimes, I have got it to work after a power-cut where everything is turned off, sometimes when I turn on the DAC, then Bridge, then the NUC, but nothing works every time.

So, I think the problem is somewhere in my network infrastructure, rather than with HQPlayer, but I am not sure how to solve the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue that they have been able to solve?

Any thoughts welcome? I will try here first, but might try the HQPlayer thread later on.

Thanks.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:26 PM, Charon said:

Hello all, my setup is PC under Windows 10, with LMS Version 7.9.2 and Usbridge under Dietpi Version 6.25.3 and TEAC UD-503 dac. When I change resolution 16bis 44,1 for High res or DSD during listening I have "Pocs" on my speakers same problem when Ichange dsd or high res for CD format. Where is the problem and what can I do for not have pocs on my speakers?

Sorry for my language I'm french.

Charon

@ALLOsupport @Allo and members, anyone uses TAEC UD-503 with Usbridge, nobody has the same problem help me please

Charon

On 9/6/2019 at 12:09 PM, Audio_Allo said:

As per your message ,are you getting "Pocs" sound while changing the frequency files like PCM to DSD or DSD to PCM? 

Hello,

both when frequency change PCM to DSD AND DSD to PCM. When I play a playlist with PCm and DSD frequency or I change track during play PCm to DSD or DSD to PCM.

I hope to be clear.

Charon