IGNORED

Amir at ASR claims Uptone won't sell the ISO regen to him...

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

Seems to me 50% height in these audio plots is problematic.  It can be effected what height is by the base level noise floor.  Seems a better suggestion would be to compare levels compared to the carrier tone at some standard offset like say 5 hz.  Or to compare width in hz at some arbitrary level down from the carrier tone like maybe -80 db. 

I will note my opinion is from masking effects these concerns are overblown.  I think this close in with current gear all this is not making an audible difference.  While I don't oppose better performance I don't think improving this will net a change in sound quality. 

50% height is standard. With a Gaussian peak it the point of maximum slope. That means that slight errors in placing the exact vertical level will have the least effect in the measured horizontal.

In any case this is only an approximation of the "jitter" because other factors such as baseline noise will (slightly) affect the results.

I know folks here are still digesting this because it doesn't seem to be widely discussed in the audio field but this is how it's done in the other signals fields where this comes from. 

The unique situation we have have is that the test signal is generated in the digital domain, and the output measured in the analogue domain so we have a true end to end measurement of the DAC + transport/interface.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Just now, jabbr said:

50% height is standard. With a Gaussian peak it the point of maximum slope. That means that slight errors in placing the exact vertical level will have the least effect in the measured horizontal.

In any case this is only an approximation of the "jitter" because other factors such as baseline noise will (slightly) affect the results.

I know folks here are still digesting this because it doesn't seem to be widely discussed in the audio field but this is how it's done in the other signals fields where this comes from. 

The unique situation we have have is that the test signal is generated in the digital domain, and the output measured in the analogue domain so we have a true end to end measurement of the DAC + transport/interface.

In the context of audio signals here how are you defining 50% height?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, Jud said:

So you measure analog differences and then the next question is, are they audible?  Too bad no one's done objective, unbiased listening tests on the ISO Regen - oh, wait....

Jud - If Swenson wants to be a big boy audio engineer, which he was not in his day job, then he needs to have the proper equipment for audio engineering and measurement, plus an adequate understanding of audio measurement.  That would be before going off on flights of trying to suggest that audio measurements are no good, don't tell you everything, measure inaudible stuff, etc.  Or, that Regen's improvements are so sophisticated they do not show up in traditional audio measurements.

You are not implying, I hope, that the two person listening test you were a part of is a statistically significant sample that proves everything?  I think that test is not ideal.  Two test subjects is a good start, but more are needed, hopefully with careful documentation of the protocol. But, even so.  The unbiased listening tests we need are final version of ISO Regen vs. bypass, ideally with instantaneous switching between them.  A 3-way test involving two prototypes plus bypas should be streamlined down.

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

In the context of audio signals here how are you defining 50% height?

Peak to baseline. This tends to underestimate the medium range phase error (shot noise) and there are many other ways to measure curves eg area under etc 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

Peak to baseline. This tends to underestimate the medium range phase error (shot noise) and there are many other ways to measure curves eg area under etc 

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my question.  So if the peak to base level noise at say -140 db is the case you measure at -70 db?  Or are you referring to 50% signal strength which is the point where the side bands are - 6db from peak?  I would think the latter.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, mmerrill99 said:

I wonder does this represent the majority? People who want measurements but really are not capable of deciding what the measurements mean?

What would be the benefit of such measurements if they are not something you can evaluate?

So lets say a set of measurements are made & posted. one side says they 'prove' the effectiveness of the device & the other side says it doesn't & that they want more definitive 'proof'. Where are you then at?

I'll tell you where you are at - exactly the same point as you are now at in this thread.

All this talk about measurements is just smoke & mirrors & people should examine their motivations & the scenario above to check their motivations in all of this, fiasco.

IF I am able to "understand" a measurement then I have no need for other people's interpretation.

I don't have any sinister pleasure in looking at measurements UNLESS I can read them.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

You are not implying, I hope, that the two person listening test you were a part of is a statistically significant sample that proves everything?

All that proved was the 25% chance that both subjects would pick the same sample even if neither one had listened to either of the samples.

47 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, John conspired to be laid off from his job, retire, and do an interstate move just to avoid this.

Glad my coffee cup was back on the desk when I read that. :) 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, mmerrill99 said:

Well, you didn't seem to understand what the eye pattern measurement signified or what it even was - so what measurements do you want to see (which you understand the meaning of) before you will "have a listen"?

I had seen the eye pattern before, in one of the previous topics about the Regen if I remember correctly, possibly originating from Pinkfishmedia.

I am curious about how the Regen can improve data transfer and consequently D/A performance.

Listening won't be of much use.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 minutes ago, semente said:

I had seen the eye pattern before, in one of the previous topics about the Regen if I remember correctly, possibly originating from Pinkfishmedia.

I am curious about how the Regen can improve data transfer and consequently D/A performance.

Listening won't be of much use.

You stated you wished to see measurements before you would "have a listen" - I asked you what specific measurements you wished to see which you will understand. Care to answer that?

4 minutes ago, semente said:

Does it vibrate?

Whoa! :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Zero as well but, unlike the two of you armchair quarterbacks, I'm not the one lecturing others on how to do their jobs or run their business. 

I'm not lecturing. I've made a suggesting based on what I see for most other site: a site navigational footer.

I'm critiquing the creation approach of audio products by a firm that is doing so blindly.

45 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

If Swenson wants to be a big boy audio engineer, which he was not... plus an adequate understanding of audio measurement... going off on flights of ...

For over the top assholery, I now, with great relief, throw you into my IGNORED USERS list !