IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

13 hours ago, Energy said:

To Alex: Did you say in your earlier posts that depending on what the ISO REGEN is powered by and how much it consumes, it can get hot? I heard a 2.0mm thermal pad is put in to negate this problem. Is it something a customer/consumer can do themselves or would you rather we send you back the unit?

Only if you DAC/DDC draws a lot of USB 5VBUS power (from the cable for its USB input) will the ISO REGEN (or the original USB REGEN) get really warm.  And yes, how warm is dependent upon the voltage of the supply one uses for the REGEN.  Higher voltage equals more drop to get to 5V regulation, times current drawn by the DAC, equals excess wattage to be dissipated as heat--through the ground plane of the board and to the case.  The math of it is discussed in the USB REGEN FAQ on our web site.

It is normal and not something to be worried about.  No matter how much heat you feel, all the parts are still running at less than half their rated thermal limits.

I heard a 2.0mm thermal pad is put in to negate this problem. Is it something a customer/consumer can do themselves or would you rather we send you back the unit?

Some samples of the earlier Silanna isolator chips, when super-heated--by the ISO REGEN's 1-amp 5VBUS regulator being called upon to deliver close to 0.5A by say an iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp--will throw a data error here and there.  Hence the dreaded tics or "crackles" experienced by some with earlier units.  Not a sound quality issue, just a few dropped bits.  You either have them or your don't.

Subsequently Silanna has been screening the parts for us to be more tolerate of what are referred to as "duty-cycle errors," so the problem has bee taken care of.  Still, I am a "belt and suspenders" sort of guy, so I tracked down some high-performance thermal pad material (spent hours pouring over data sheets and spent a few hundred $ having samples overnighted only to find some that would not compress enough to fit).  The idea is to conduct more heat to the case for those few people who both have heavy VBUS loads and maybe an isolator chip that is on the border when it come to heat.  It is effective (I ran tests with marginal units, the 460mA load of the iFi iDSD, and my protocol analyzer), but not a cure, and at this point possibly not even needed going forward.

@Energy I know your unit was from the very first batch.  But if you are not having any audible tics, them you have no need for the thermal pads.  (They do not do anything for longevity of the product, the heat is not that great.) And if you are having tics then thermal pads will not cure that and we will want to get you a new board.

So there is the long answer you question.

I'm using an iPower 9V to power by ISO REGEN (will have another LPS-1 soon hopefully) and it's only connected to the Singxer SU-1 so doesn't run hot but I would still very much like to have this thermal feature. I can easily buy 2.0 thermal pads and conduct the procedure myself as I feel sending back a unit just for this is a little out of the way. I however just don't know where to put the pad and hearing you say it's a tight squeeze makes me more unsure.

The SU-1 draws only 100mA from the USB 5VBUS.  So the 4 volt drop to 5V from your 9V iPower generates only 0.4 watts of excess heat from the big TI regulator.  That's very little, as per all the above, not something to sweat (pardon the pun).

Please do not attempt to put just any old 2mm thermal material on the board--you would be likely to break something since to be effective the material has to be a very tight fit, which makes the procedure to get the USB 'A' jack in place without breaking it a bit of a pain.  (My assistant is really looking forward to the day when I tell her we can stop putting the pads on--because it really slows her down a lot!)

8 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I know this is all relative but I felt that my IR got pretty hot when powering with the 9V iPower.  It got hot enough that I got paranoid and stopped using it.  Even powering the IR with 5V, it gets warm to the touch.  I love my IR so much I dont want to risk damaging it!!  

Well we have stated our preference that folks stay in the labeled 6-8V range.  But still, even at 9V (unless you ask it to power a 0.5A DAC/HA) you are covered under our 3-year warranty.  So worry not.  Heat is a fact of linear regulators in small enclosures. Not something to worry about.

The original USB REGEN has the same 5VBUS reg and with close to 4,000 out there I can tell you that normal field failures of that model have never been linked to VBUS reg heat (some hub chips failed and made the other regulator get hot, but that's unrelated.)

17 minutes ago, ted_b said:

And if you replaced it with going direct then the variables are many (ethernet and no ethernet, NAA and no NAA, dac driver local and Linux dac driver in NAA).

Yes Ted, it is true that many more variables would be involved.  But given the premise of the ISO REGEN--galvanic isolation, super-clocking, high signal integrity--and especially when used with an even further isolating LPS-1, I think @timtom question is a valid one and on a lot of people's minds.

That is, can a decent computer, direct to an ISO REGEN, match the performance of an computer>NAA>ISO REGEN>DAC chain? Yes, such is not a single-variable comparison. But in my limited experience I think there are pluses and minus to both.  

For example:

My tweaked Mac mini (powered by JS-2/MMK, booted from SD card slimed down to 70 processes OS X, with no drives or active SATA, and music fetched over Ethernet via direct connected--no switch--other Mac) into the ISO REGEN and running HQ Player Desktop is very much the equal to the microRendu (LPS-1) in NAA mode.

But then once I was able to bypass my Ethernet switch with bridging configuration--and then put the ISO REGEN with its better clock and hub chip after, it carried SQ a bit further (though not by a large amount).

Most people are looking for the best value proposition.  And not everyone is ready to configure their systems around the software/player modes required/supported by the various streamers.  So these questions come up.

9_9

On 6/26/2017 at 1:22 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

Received my ISO Regen today.  A quick preparation of cable Canare 4S6 about 6 inches long to run from one of my LPS-1's feeding my Chord 2Qute, series, 12V (waiting on PHynes SR7).   Used the 7V LPS-1.  Ordered the 90 degree adapter, very happy with it's length, allows my ISO Regen to sit about 1 3/4 inches from the 2Qute, perfect for keeping the RCA plugs free and clear, let alone the 90 degrees allows me to rest the ISO Regen on edge . 

Right out of the box, it's a winner.  Added definition in sound, leveled the lows mids highs quite nicely.  Bonus, it helped bring my volume output much higher on my 2Qute amp for driving my new Omega 8XRS speakers.  Have more than enough volume now, near field or mid size room with less than 1 watt.

No clicks here, perfect, I run a full USB stream from my Jetway NUC.  Has put my thoughts of adding any SoTM components, clocks or renderers to rest, not needed.  The ISO Regen is a no brainer for value and quality.

@ElviaCaprice posted this in the UltraCap LPS-1 thread by accident (I assume), but it took me a few days to ask Chris how to move a single post from one topic to another.  

Nice review too.  I am always impressed at how good you guys are at describing what you hear.  I've been at this for a long time.  I can hear everything; and I can write well.  But I suck at writing about what I can hear! B|

Have a great weekend everyone.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

This was posted today in the UltraCap LPS-1 thread as this gent bought a ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundle, yet first spent time with just the LPS-1 (powering his original USB REGEN).  Here is what he had to say after adding the ISO REGEN:

@Jay Tee said:

Well the ISO Regen has been running for a little under 24 hours now, fed by the LPS-1 (powered by the Meanwell) and so far the sound is gorgeous. Very refined.

At this stage I would multiply all I've written about the LPS-1 by two to describe the two together...even lower noise floor, excellent dynamics, even fuller sound with much more of each note's nuances, longer lingering trails on appropriately recorded tracks, articulate and maybe slightly deeper bass. The overall sound is intensely musical. Even after just about 22 hours it's more like if I had a major preamp or power amp upgrade.

I'll wait to see if all gets even better in the next 3 or four days. Even if it doesn't I'm happy (and I haven't yet added the USPCB to replace the short Curious).

Just now, fsmithjack said:

Guys another quick question - what is the best place to get a cable for the JS-2. The one that came with it looks like a nice one - gray thicker type cable with gold/copper looking ends. Anyone know the best place for me to get a cable that you guys recommend? 

Well you can get another of those from us.  $75.  Oyaide plugs from Japan (the only ones that will handle our big wire); Shielded, low inductance star-quad that results in heavy 15awg when paired (it is 4 conductors of #18).  Length is always 5 feet for the versions that have 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug at the PS end (for JS-2).  We stock it with device end plug of either 5.5mm x 2.5mm (that's the red tip-ring) or 5.5mm x 2.1mm (the black tip-ring).  

Just sent a note via the contact form on our web site.  Can ship out tomorrow.

B|

--Alex C.

5 minutes ago, Guidof said:

I have Alex's DC cable between LPS-1 and ISO RGEN. It should not make any difference, but I think it does. An improvement in clarity. But maybe I just drank the Koolaid . . .;-)

Just to be clear, I have not personally promoted this DC cable as making any audible difference.  In theory the lower inductance of a short star-quad cable is better for DC.  And others have reported on DC cables making an SQ difference.  I actually have not had any time to compare for myself (and I never comment about SQ of anything unless I have heard it with my own ears.

And I don't pour Kool-Aid!  :P

(The pitchfork arm-chair "engineers" already have it in for the ISO REGEN and LPS-1--things that really make an impact.  I don't need them coming after me with more shouts of 'snake oil" for offering a decent, short DC cable that people requested.)

10 minutes ago, hasticus said:

Hi there, I received my ISO-REGEN and LPS-1 two days ago. Can't stop listening it.

it provides great improvement indeed, sound from my dual-PC setup became very close to what I hear playing vinyl. I compared  Jazz at the Pawnshop file and LP. Lp still a bit more "alive", but it is indeed very close now.

IMG_6346.jpg

@hasticus Glad you are enjoying your ISO REGEN.  May I ask what are those strange, machined-aluminum things your RCA interconnects are plugged into, at what I assume is the output of your DAC?  What DAC is that BTW?

Cheers,

--Alex C.

P.S.  Lots of folks will be receiving shipment/tracking notices in about an hour.  We were finally able to fill the last of the "end-of-June" promised orders, and all the "July 14th-promised" orders--with the exception of 16 ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundles because we are out of LPS-1 boards (darn Toshiba onto-isolator--10 per board--was not in stock anywhere, had to buy 5,000 on the Hong Kong spot-market).  LPS-1 boards arrive next week, so flash/test/assemble/package puts us to shipping July 26th--assuming I keep working through the weekends.  

45 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

As it happens, I do have 3 phase AC (Oz 230V), with audio gear on a dedicated phase.

Explanation required - again! - as to why the 3 or 4 wires makes a difference.

To clarify above, these cables as described by Alex are an upgrade or the same ones that came with the js2 & lps1?

Hi James:

Sorry John confused you with his reference to 3-phase AC power.  (Which BTW I do not think you would have there at home--even in 230V land; Read about 3-phase power : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power)

Now with regard to DC cables (for ISO REGEN, LPS-1, etc.):

a) The LPS-1 comes stock with a 70cm long 16awg coaxial DC cable with molded 5.5mm x 2.1m plugs at both ends.  I have these custom made in China (convincing them to use 16awg was not easy).

b) Star-quad wire (4 conductors twisted together and then diagonally opposite conductors joined together at the end) results in lower inductance.  This is a good thing for a lot of applications--microphone cable, line level interconnects, and DC cables.  John started a thread about it here, and his first post has plenty of technical detail:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/

c) For several years I have been offering with our big choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp JS-2 a quality star-quad DC cable (one is included "free" with the JS-2, and many people order a second one at the same time).  I like simple, descriptive names, so I simply refer to this cable as our "Oyaide/Belden DC cable" since it uses the original (not the stupid new short version) Oyaide plug--which is the only one that can accept the big Belden 9418 wire.  That wire is 4 conductors of #18awg plus a shield, so when paired internally it results in a hefty 15awg cable.

d) Before ordering and waiting month for my 1,000 piece order of the original style Oyaide plugs--put back into production (at a higher cost) just for UpTone--I was hoarding my supply just for the cables to offer with the JS-2 (which takes 5.5mm x 2.5mm, though we offer it with 2.5mm or 2.1mm at the device end).

e) Now that I have good stock of both plug sizes, I recently had 50 cables made with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs at both ends--in 50cm (20-inch) length.  I have been too darn busy with other things, but will soon put up a ordering page for our Oyaide/Belden cables.  They will be offered ONLY in the following combinations:

1.5m (5-ft.) 5.5mm x 2.5mm both ends
1.5m (5-ft.) 5.5mm x 2.5mm > 5.5mm x 2.1mm
50cm (20-inches) 5.5mm x 2.1mm both ends
The first 2 variations are $75 each, the 20-incher is $70

We will NOT be offering any other lengths, terminations, or options.  And we will not be making 'Y' cables!

Here is a photo of a few of the 50cm version:

59693cdd53946_UpToneOyaideBeldencbl.thumb.jpg.8004bc50d4eea3cd65e68c0229c8633e.jpg

Right now my e-mail box is overflowing--including with requests to manually order the USPCB A>B Adapter, (activating the AddToCart button for that must happen this weekend, it is a stupid international postage issue that I have to come to terms with).   So while I do allow for manual orders of the Oyaide/Belden cable (where you send a message and I reply with a PayPal request including postage), I'd really prefer that folks wait until I can get the web order page up.

Hope the above covers most of the questions about this.  Now back I go to wrestling my e-mail box tiger!  B|

3 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

The ISO REGEN was like an audio magnifying glass, letting my ears peer into subtle nooks and crannies of the presentation. At the same time, it maintained a comprehensive and cohesive gestalt presentation of the piece of music at large.

The greater level of detail enhanced the musical experience and did not turn it into an audiophile wank fest. Instead, the ISO REGEN helped place me back in my seat at Chicago's Symphony Center, listening to Muti and the CSO deliver the best interpretation of Prokofiev's piece I have ever enjoyed in a live or recorded presentation. Not just the greater resolution of fine detail, but also a more solidly founded  and more convincing soundstage than what I have experienced with the same system using the original USB REGEN.

I look forward to rehearing many other favorite recordings with the clarity and other sound improvements the ISO REGEN provides. 

Wonderful report, thanks!  

I too always use recordings (of real instruments and voices in a real space) that I know most deeply when auditioning component changes (well in case of development, typically small part or design changes).  

When the music comes to life--you know it!

Hope everyone have a lovely, music filled weekend.

--Alex C.

5 hours ago, afrancois said:

I'm having a similar issue with my SMS-200 Mutec MC3+ USB. The power to the IR can only be connected when the SMS-200 is completely powered up.

This is pretty common for Linux-based devices.  I think they are not good at "seeing" the DAC through the hub (REGEN) on start up. (John may have a better, more accurate explanation about this--I am not a Linux guy.) 

The ISO REGEN actually adheres closer to USB power-on VBUS specs than the USB REGEN did (the USB REGEN supplies 5VBUS power all the time regardless of state and a lot of DACs like that--but it is wrong).

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

I don't see them on the Uptone site.

BTW.....my ISO-REGEN is still kicking butt. 

Butt of course! x-D

As I write this I am working on the whole international postage charge thing for the USPCB A>B Adapters so that the AddToCart button can be activated.

(It adds no shipping cost to orders that have REGEN or LPS-1s, but I don't think people buying just a USPCB or two are going to want to pay $34 for International Flat Rate Priority Mail Box. Sadly, even in a small padded pouch it counts as a package and First Class Airmail for "packages" ranges from $12-16.)

Once that is done I'll work on the page for ordering our 50cm, Oyaide/Belden star-quad (18AWG x 4, plus shield) cable with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs both ends ($70), as well as the $75 1.5m versions with either 2.5>2.5 or 2.5>2.1 as we have always stocked for JS-2 clients.

46 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I asked Alex before regarding this, he told me it is totally fine. Also have my friends confirmed about the ticking clicking sound from LPS-1. If you are close enough to the LPS-1 (let's say 50 cm). Yea, that is quite audible. 

I also did a little experiments myself: When LPS-1 is set to 7V, the ticking sound is quite frequent, a few times per minutes (almost one ticking  per 20 seconds), set to 5V and 3V makes it less frequent. 

I would like to see your unit back.  With about 1,500 units in the field you are only the second person ever to report hearing mechanical ticking from their UltraCap LPS-1.  I test them all day long under heavy load and have yet to hear it.  There are no relays on the board.  The only thing we can think of is one of the big power inductors emitting a small snap when the changing bank change.

I seem to recall you saying that only one of your own LPS-1s does this.  Please contact us directly.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

15 minutes ago, sdube said:

Two questions now: Can one side/leg of the JS-2 feed two LPS-1s, one feeding a the Berkeley USB and the other a distinct DAC?

Let's break this down a bit for clarity:

a) Each LPS-1 will, given 12 volts, draw 1.5 amps from whatever is "energizing"/charging it.  

b) A JS-2 is, at 12V, capable of delivering a total of just over 7 amps (assuming your AC mains is 120V/240; at 110/220 the max current at 12V will be about 6A); Does not matter if that is all being drawn from just one of its outputs or some split between the two outputs.

c) So sure, one JS-2 output can easily supply the 3 amps needed to charge 2 UltraCap LPS-1 units. Heck, it could handle 4 LPS-1s!

d) Given that you are powering a Mac mini (also at 12V) from the other JS-2 output, there is a small chance--if your Mac mini has some big draw bursts--that the variable 3A load (LPS-1s have distinct charging patterns) on the other rail may combine to take your JS-2 out of regulation.  The mini might shut off if it does (when the JS-2 drops out of regulation the 12V will drop to about 11.5V and the mini will shut off--no harm.)

e) It you attempt this, then please don't use the Kelvin-sense circuit of the JS-2 with your Mac mini.  Just set the black switch to "Switch-set" position.  This will make it a bit easier on the JS-2.

f) Depending upon what you are powering with the LPS-1 units, there may not be any issue at all.  That is because with a 0.5A or lower load, the LPS-1 stays in its low-charge-current mode and does not draw nearly as much from whatever supply is charging it.  Will an ISO REGEN draw more than 0.5A and put the LPS-1 into its higher-charge mode?  Not by itself.  Depends entirely on the 5VBUS load that the USB input of the DAC (or in your case, Berkeley DDC) presents.

Lastly, I am not clear on what you are powering (or planning to) with the two LPS-1s when you say "one feeding a Berkeley USB and the other a distinct DAC?"  Unless you are doing separate 5VBUS-injection, then you obviously mean one LSP-1 powered ISO REGEN feeding the Berkeley USB>S/PDIF converter.  But what DAC do you plan to use a second LPS-1 for?

15 minutes ago, sdube said:

And I hope the original ISO Regen did reach you in sound shape?

It eventually did, thanks.

38 minutes ago, agladstone said:

What do people here recommend for best results powering the LPS-1 feeding an ISO Regen at 7V? 

I have an HDPlex 100w I can use to power the LPS-1 and I can choose 12V or 9V or 7v (I think the available Amperage can draw upto 7A via the HDPlex, but I assume the LPS-1 will just take what it needs), is 12V better than 7V?? 

Alternatively, I also have a spare IFI iPower 12V supply (I think it's rated 12v / 1.5A) that I can use and re-purpose the HDPlex 100 to another device (if I recall, it does not make much difference what is feeding the LPS-1, I'm more concerned with which voltage and amperage combination is best for feeding the ISO Regen 

Allen:

Really happy you are already enjoying your ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1 so much already.

Please just use the 7.5V/2.93A Mean Well that came with your kit to "energize"/charge the LPS-1.   There is no reason /benefit to use an iFi iPower SMPS--and the stressful, variable load of the LPS-1 charging pattern may make your iPower fail some day.

The quality of the DC power used for charging the LPS-1 makes ZERO difference to the output of the LPS-1!

If you wish to discuss using an alternate supply for it, there is a thread for that:

2 hours ago, musical physic said:

Goodbye intona, goodbye wyred4sound rur, goodbye curious usb! 

Man the iso regen +lps-1 combo hype is REAL. out of the box the difference is already noticeable. Now that I have used it for the past 48 hours, the music is so resolving and inviting.

2 hours ago, musical physic said:

I have a question about the iso_r. The unit lights up red even though there is no signal coming through. Is this normal to have it powered up all the time? 

Thanks for your great report!  Glad you are enjoying the combo so much already. 

Yes, it is normal for the red LED to stay on all the time.  You can keep it powered 24/7.  

Regards, 

--Alex C.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

@Superdad

Do you recommend daisy chaining the Regen and ISO Regen? Thanks.

Not particularly.  In fact, during design of the ISO REGEN we experimented with putting another hub chip and clock ahead of the Silanna isolator chip but it really did not help.

We preferred to put the $$ into all the ultra-ultra-low-noise regulators and into the fabulous Crystek CCHD-575 on the downstream side where it counts (did a blind test of 2 proto-boards where the only variable was the clock--one was the CCHD-3391 as used in the USB REGEN, the other the 575; Took 20 seconds to settle that one! :D)

But if you have a USB REGEN you certainly can put it BEFORE the ISO REGEN>DAC connection.