IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-200 Review

1 hour ago, Elberoth said:

You are right. Chris could have chosen not to discuss the sound quality, instead - focus on features and build quality only. But he hasn't. That was his choice. So your point is moot.

So, do you not understand how the product works? That's the review.  Sound quality is up for you to decide.  like it or not, the power supply is not the review. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Thank you for your sincere reviews. We SOtM always do our best to hear customer's opinion and improve the inconvenience of the product.

I think the phenomenon that stucking UI in a loop only could occur when performing various tests like review. It seems that it will not appear in general music listening. We will test the product more and improve the UI issue which may cause inconvenience to the user.

Current upgrading step is designed to make the upgrade more stable. It would not have been inconvenient if you had to constantly upgrade while using the product. Because we are constantly uploading new software, the number of times that the user needs to upgrade is cumulative if they do not use the product for a few months. UI shows the icon on the home screen to notice an upgrade and to avoid cumulative upgrades. We will improve it as soon as possible so that it can be upgraded at once.

The sMS-200 shows system and DAC information(you already mentioned in this thread) in the bottom of system config page. The reason why I placed it in an inconspicuous place is that too much information can confuse users.

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

So, do you not understand how the product works? That's the review.  Sound quality is up for you to decide.  like it or not, the power supply is not the review. 

You can try to spin the point you are trying to make, buy you cannot escape the simple fact that Chris has discussed sound quality at lengh, even went as far as comparing both products sonic wise. 

And when we are discussing sonics, the quality of the PSU does matter. 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

As I understand it from past reviews, Chris is loathe to do product comparisons generally.  In this instance, in being more "catholic" in his approach,  he did so but went down the rabbit hole a bit.  There are two extremes of reviewing: those that write a review that is meant to stand alone: that is they are all or almost all encompassing, giving the reader everything from their detailed system environment to their biases and make extensive comparisons to other recently reviewed products.  And this crosses "product" boundaries - think movie and wine reviews, etc.  The other extreme is to offer up an analysis that represents a point in time, which involves the current system and makes the assumption that the reader is familiar with the many previous reviews and the tastes of of the reviewer.  I think you can get this from many reviewers in both the arts and again wine.  Reviews must be taken in context (wine in conjunction with food and company, film in context of what preceded the work and genre, etc.).  I think on this continuum, Chris falls towards the latter approach.  On the other hand, looking at TAS and AudioStream for example, you'll find reviewing that falls more towards the former.  

In this specific instance you've two products that are presented to a reviewer differently: the SOtM with a specific power supply, while the Sonore without one if you wish or numerous suggested ones.  Clearly Chris took what was given and did his review.  His "mistake" was in making a comparison, which, let's face it, he's always bugged about doing.  Here he has and people are up in arms.  

The SOtM is offered up for user purchase w/o any power supply.  Had SOtM provided Chris with that scenario, and told him to use one of many potential power supplies, he would likely have either objected or possibly taken whatever was "in-house" and run with it.  He was simply put into the position of letting the manufacturer dictate the "system under test".  I think Chris is both fair and wise in only reviewing what he got from SOtM.

If you're interested in a broader review, see Steven Plaskin's at AudioStream.  Of course, his approach and system and tastes may neither fit or be to your liking.  

I certainly wish we all had a chance in the computer audiophile space to try at home and buy/return, like we often can with other audio gear (from many brick and mortar dealers, and some online).  We're left to chase the dragon in this often "tweaky" arena.  

I just appreciate that Chris and Steven and others are able to do much of the heavy lifting for all of us.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Hi Chris - Can the sMs-200 access Tidal directly without requiring a computer elsewhere on the network?  If so, how would that be done?  Thanks.

The sMS-200 can't accomplish this because it can't run Roon Core. There are other solutions for what you want if this is a requirement. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

wonder if anyone here bothered to test Raspberry 3 with LPS-1 or similar, same-level LPSU against the sms-200 or microRendu.

I myself am using RP3 with digi+ and Terakdak 30W PSU and love what I hear

(using hegel DAC and AMP)

On 5/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

The sMS-200 can't accomplish this because it can't run Roon Core. There are other solutions for what you want if this is a requirement. 

On the microRendu, I can stream from Qobuz just using BubbleUPnP control point on my Android phone using the microRendu in DLNA/MPD mode, and I'm pretty sure TIDAL works the same way.

What's different about the sMS-200?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The Sonicorbiter web interface allowed me install a bubbleupnp on my MicroRendu and with a LUMIN app I could simply control my library and access Tidal both from an iOS iPad.  The Eunhasu web interface does not allow for a direct bubbleupnp installation on to the SMS-200  apparently the installl has to go downstream to your Nas or computer.   Unlike the MicroRendu, the SMS-200 will not allow a bubbleupnp to be directly installed in it. I use a Synology NAS with out a computer in the loop.  So I need to install a bubble UPN P onto my Nas and it seems difficult for the non computer savvy.  The other thing to keep in mind, I've read is that a bubbleupnp on a NAS is not controllable from an iOS device, just Android, but I hope l'm wrong on that.  So in my configuration there is another level of complexity with the SMS-200 over the MiroRendu and the UPnP controler via iPad I set up used to control my library with the MicroRendu may not function with the SMS-200.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

2 hours ago, Vangelis said:

The Eunhasu web interface does not allow for a direct bubbleupnp installation on to the SMS-200  apparently the installl has to go downstream to your Nas or computer. 

OK I think you're talking about BubbleUPnP Server, not BubbleUPnP.   Thanks, I never realized that sMS-200 and microRendu differ in this respect.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The SMS-200 Operating Instructions seem to indicate that Tidal and Qobuz can be accessed using the integrated Squeezelite and Logitech Media Server functions.  However, when I Emailed that question to SOTM, they replied that Tidal could not be accessed directly from the SMS-200.  Maybe something was lost in the Korean to English translation, but I still haven't gotten a conclusive answer.  

good question..

from sarbel...same question here..

sarbel

Posted May 29 · Report

wonder if anyone here bothered to test Raspberry 3 with LPS-1 or similar, same-level LPSU against the sms-200 or microRendu.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 4:50 PM, sarbel said:

I have tested Raspberry 3/Hifi barry digi out board/max2play OS/ lps1/Wi-Fi connection  vs microRendu/lps1 for couple of months. For testing I have used sonictransporter with roon/Chord Hugo DAC/NAD c388 amp/ATC scm19 speakers. End up selling microRendu and keeping Raspberry 3 streamer...

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris,

Did you have to do anything in sMS-200 set up to work with Berkeley Alpha USB?

When I connect them together, the Alpha USB front indicator turns green. It means that Alpha USB sees USB from sMS-200. However, I am unable to start

play on sMS-200. That happens when sMS-200 is not connected to USB DAC

or when USB DAC does not have USB input selected. I am speculating that

mMS-200 somehow does not correctly communicate with Alpha USB.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Asking for help.  I am still finding my SMS-200 not working (not seeing the DAC) intermittently and often.  I suspect I need to change my USB cable, but to what?  I have tried a lot of strategies.  First I tried turning everything off then on all at once, i.e., my Metrum Musette DAC, a music track on soundirok, and the SMS-200.  Eventually it worked, SMS-200 recognized DAC, and seemed to work for a while.  Then more failure, sometimes mid song.  When this happens I can confirm SMS-200 is no longer recognizing/connected to/seeing the DAC.

I tried advice from gnette posted on 1 July 2017 on stereonet https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/116324-laptop-replacement-sotm-sms-200-impressions/ of making sure the DAC is switched off when the SMS is turned back on.  Not sure if that helped, but, it worked again, then not. Muznuts https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/116324-laptop-replacement-sotm-sms-200-impressions/ suggested his issues with SMS-200 not working was down to the USB cable and changing it fixed the problem.

So thinking my six foot of cheap thin USB cable was the problem, today out of frustration I took the scissors and stanley knife to the cheap 6 ft USB cable that came with the DAC.  I stripped all four tiny wires and carefully twisted together the correct wires and insulated them with electrical tape making it a 20 cm cheap thin USB cable.  SMS worked right away, then stopped after the third song.  Not recognizing DAC again.

I still feel exited about upgrading the power supply as Bilbo and others have done, but first I have to figure out what is going wrong with SMS-200 not seeing my DAC.  Any ideas or suggestions?

If it helps to know some details about the Metrum Musette DAC, I can offer that:

1. It needs 5V (3V power into its usb socket)

2. The USB receiver comes courtesy of M2TECH's hiFaceTWO

In considering a new USB cable, this first point above, that my DAC needs power going in from the USB cable, would suggest that a "normal" USB cable might not be ideal sonically, just as a parasitic external hard drive has been found to be detrimental.  This would suggest that any USB cable I make or buy should be dual headed so the DAC can receive its 5V from a linear power supply, rather than from the SMS-200.  A concern here is that this approach could make the digital "handshake" problem even worse.  Grizzly audio suggested giving the source, such as SMS-200, a resistance with a 1/2 Watt 220 Ohm resistor that would trick it into handshaking with the DAC.  Others have said keep the power ground lead attached between source (SMS-200) and DAC.  A few option have been suggested at computer audiophile https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/15407-modding-usb-cable-to-power-dac-with-external-psu/:

5a52080f0a0a2_ScreenShot2018-01-07at9_43_07pm.png.c71590aed0acd03178597b6f467b91bc.png

Something like this from Elijah Audio might afford all these options (the exact one in the image is not on Elijah websight) (image from https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28604-usb-ground-lift/):5a52060a0a8f9_ScreenShot2018-01-07at9_31_26pm.png.14277389e0b380fb466e17451d864b61.pngHowever,  before I invest DIY time or hard earned cash I would like to find out what the problem is?  The SMS-200 seems to work OK with my ipad, soundirok, and both my spinning and solid state hard drives, but lets me down with it's communication with my DAC.  Any ideas / suggestions anyone.  Thanking you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Ben

• 3 years later...

Hi, I had the ayre qb-9 twenty upgrade and listened to Qobuz hires straight from my PC, I got a lot of unwanted noises. Now I bought the somt sms 200 neo se silver wire and SBooster psu. I hope it will be all as lovely as predicted. The qb-9 I bought as 24/96 a budget dac, now I am going to listen to excellent quality. Proust said to long for love is better than to consume. Silly guy.

2 month trail.tiff sMS with one year.tiff