IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-200 Review

It's too bad you waited so long to make this review and soon the Ultra version will be out.  Things are moving far faster than these reviews and yesterdays technology is already old today.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Thanks for adding this long-in-the-wait review. I'm a bit confounded why you didn't try out a variety of power supplies to come about the sonic differences between the sMS-200 and the mR, instead of resorting to the bit perfect "analysis" tool (which didn't amount to anything anyway). It seems to me interesting light could've been shed with a range of PSU's here.

If anything I'd have guessed this review has seen a significant shelf life prior to publication.. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know it's hard to believe, but I don't even have an LPS-1!

How about the Sonore Signature?  Or was that one never a "keeper" in your system, to go along with the microRendu?  It would seem logical to at least try and keep relative/comparable financial combinations of such products.  I know the Signature does not exactly fit that criteria, but what did you use for the microRendu? Since you're doing a bit of comparison here, it's only fair to reveal what power supply you're using in conjunction with the microRendu.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

10 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

How about the Sonore Signature?  Or was that one never a "keeper" in your system, to go along with the microRendu?  It would seem logical to at least try and keep relative/comparable financial combinations of such products.  I know the Signature does not exactly fit that criteria, but what did you use for the microRendu? Since you're doing a bit of comparison here, it's only fair to reveal what power supply you're using in conjunction with the microRendu.

Yes, thanks for bringing this up. I used a prototype Sonore Signature PSU for the microRendu.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

34 minutes ago, phusis said:

Thanks for adding this long-in-the-wait review. I'm a bit confounded why you didn't try out a variety of power supplies to come about the sonic differences between the sMS-200 and the mR, instead of resorting to the bit perfect "analysis" tool (which didn't amount to anything anyway). It seems to me interesting light could've been shed with a range of PSU's here.

If anything I'd have guessed this review has seen a significant shelf life prior to publication.. 

Hi phusis - Thanks for the comments. You touched on what makes CA a bit different from other publications.

On front page reviews we lean more toward information that a majority of people in this hobby can digest. We try to limit the number of variables and limit the number of words in a review. For example, the sMS-200 review could have been 6000 words and covered every power supply capable of driving the unit and the mR and every PSU and other similar devices and all the PSUs etc... I know some people would like this type of review and I don't blame them for wanting more information. On the other hand, some people don't want to know too much about how the sausage is made and want a review they can digest without blocking off an hour of their schedule.

Fortunately, CA also has a user forum where the nitty gritty details are all there for anyone to read and ask questions. Crowd sourcing this information from people all over the world with all kinds of systems etc... is an unmatchable way to really get deep knowledge about a product. 

Some reviews we dig deeper and write more words, but for the most part we try to condense down what we find interesting and what we think will benefit the readers. We also realize when we aren't the first publication to review a product and we try to offer something that people haven't received from elsewhere. it's all a fine balance. We hope that between the front page reviews and the forum, most people will be able to extract the information that suits their style of reading and absorbing the info. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

47 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, thanks for bringing this up. I used a prototype Sonore Signature PSU for the microRendu.

I don't suppose you happened to test the Signature PSU with the sMS-200.  Seems that might have put this combination sonically ahead of the one you tested.  But then, that might violate what you intended to do here.  And unlike the microRendu, which suggests different alternative power supplies, I don't see that suggested by SOtM. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I don't suppose you happened to test the Signature PSU with the sMS-200.  Seems that might have put this combination sonically ahead of the one you tested.  But then, that might violate what you intended to do here.  And unlike the microRendu, which suggests different alternative power supplies, I don't see that suggested by SOtM. 

Correct, I didn't test the Sonore PSU with the SOtM D-to-D. 

1 hour ago, LarryMagoo said:

I am blown away that the HD-Plex LPS are not more popular.  They are incredibly versatile...4 DC rails.  5-19 Volts and one rail is adjustable.   They use XLR connectors/cables and are included with the LPS.

That's because the HDPlex doesn't even come close to the LPS-1 impedance levels, let alone the blocking of stray DC current.  In other words the HDPlex is not in the same league.  Works fine for a noisy mobo and temporary power supply.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Appreciate the review, tells me to stick with mRendu. Would be nice to see a "full potential"  review with optical Ethernet, both powered  by a good LPS and something like the Mutec 3 + USB. Suspect that could take you into "extreme pin drop" sound resolution with both which to me is the hallmark of the mRendu.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

I don't get it.  How can we get a true comparison without the same power supply.  A special power supply add on for the mR and a switching power supply for the sMS-200?  Not even a fair comparison.  Oh well, it don't matter anymore, the Ultra sMS-200 is just about out and from all reviews from those that already have it, it is a night and day difference with the new clocking board.  Of course the price is dramatically different also.

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I encourage you to lighten up a bit Elvis. 

Each company sends a product how they want it tested. In this case the battery supply for the sotm and the signature for the mR. 

No problem, my bad,  didn't know that the sotm had a battery supply, guess I missed that, you do say so in your review, and was supplied by the company. 

Thanks Chris.

Very nice review. 

I have the microRendu.

As you say, this class of device allows one to preserve any investment in DACs, amps etc and yet keep up with playing and streaming developments like Roon, Tidal, NAS and so on. 

Nice review Chris,

I have also noticed some quirks in the SMS-200 and want to get one soon.  It would be my first server and the dac either a starting point DAC3 or Metrum Musette will be my first DAC.  I have lots of CDs and vinyl and my CD player just died.

My question, for the large assembled gallery of SMS-200 users, is what type of hard disk device will successfully plug directly into the SMS-200?  On stereonet.com.au it has been noted by some that USB drives that draw 5V power from the SMS-200 don't sound great.  Any one want to speculate as to why?  Does the extra current draw cause more electrical noise in SMS-200 perhaps?

One user, Bilbo, the initial SMS-200 reviewer, reported that his Geiseler 12V LPSU powered hard drive dock, the Astone 250E, sounded much better.  He  suggested this is because it does't use the SMS-200's power.  He also mentioned he had a NAS (also a self powered device) that worked directly plugged into SMS-200, but did not sound as good as the Astone 250E.  The Astone 250E is superseded and no longer available.  Another poster mentioned that a newer incarnation of the Astone HDD dock was not recognised or seen by his SMS-200.  

So has anyone else experimented with self powered hard drive docks vs bus powered usb drives vs self powered NAS drives on the SMS-200?  If so have they noted any sonic differences or simply which ones were actually "seen" by SMS-200.  And if they used the self powered variety which power supplies did they prefer, e.g., battery or LPSU?

Using a hard drive device plugged directly into the SMS-200 appeals to me because no computer is required.  (My computers travel to work and back daily).  SOtM's software and Lumin etc allow the hard drive's files to be directly accessed via iPad.  I wish to avoid the expense and complication or Roon, Tidal etc for now.  Thanking everyone for there input in advance

Kind regards,

Ben

The article should say that the sMS-200 is $450 with a 2 month trial or $510 with a one year subscription.  I've attached the pictures as well. 

sMS with one year.tiff

sMS with trial.tiff

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Nice review but I think you may have missed some functionality in the Eunhasu software available since version 3.6.  "The mR offers several places to get information about the connected USB DAC."

If you go to the System Config page in Eunhasu, there are two useful links provided at the bottom left of the page. One is "Detailed system information" and the other is "DAC information".  They only appear as small text but they are actually links to reports.  Have a look and you may find what you are looking for. :)

23 hours ago, bensoundresearch said:

Nice review Chris,

I have also noticed some quirks in the SMS-200 and want to get one soon.  It would be my first server and the dac either a starting point DAC3 or Metrum Musette will be my first DAC.  I have lots of CDs and vinyl and my CD player just died.

My question, for the large assembled gallery of SMS-200 users, is what type of hard disk device will successfully plug directly into the SMS-200?  On stereonet.com.au it has been noted by some that USB drives that draw 5V power from the SMS-200 don't sound great.  Any one want to speculate as to why?  Does the extra current draw cause more electrical noise in SMS-200 perhaps?

One user, Bilbo, the initial SMS-200 reviewer, reported that his Geiseler 12V LPSU powered hard drive dock, the Astone 250E, sounded much better.  He  suggested this is because it does't use the SMS-200's power.  He also mentioned he had a NAS (also a self powered device) that worked directly plugged into SMS-200, but did not sound as good as the Astone 250E.  The Astone 250E is superseded and no longer available.  Another poster mentioned that a newer incarnation of the Astone HDD dock was not recognised or seen by his SMS-200.  

So has anyone else experimented with self powered hard drive docks vs bus powered usb drives vs self powered NAS drives on the SMS-200?  If so have they noted any sonic differences or simply which ones were actually "seen" by SMS-200.  And if they used the self powered variety which power supplies did they prefer, e.g., battery or LPSU?

Using a hard drive device plugged directly into the SMS-200 appeals to me because no computer is required.  (My computers travel to work and back daily).  SOtM's software and Lumin etc allow the hard drive's files to be directly accessed via iPad.  I wish to avoid the expense and complication or Roon, Tidal etc for now.  Thanking everyone for there input in advance

Kind regards,

Ben

Sorry Ben, but I have to correct a couple of things.

I don't have a Geiseler LPSU - it was a friends we used as a test. Subsequent to that, I now use a 12V 3A DIY LPSU which also sounds better than the battery.

My NAS was not connected direct into the SMS-200 but via ethernet into my router which made it available as a netwrok device that the SMS-200 could "see".

I also recommend using the Soundirok app to control the SMS-200 in MPD mode.

A great app with a good interface and that setup is very simple and works a treat!

Cheers

Bilbo