IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-200 Review

19 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Nice review but I think you may have missed some functionality in the Eunhasu software available since version 3.6.  "The mR offers several places to get information about the connected USB DAC."

If you go to the System Config page in Eunhasu, there are two useful links provided at the bottom left of the page. One is "Detailed system information" and the other is "DAC information".  They only appear as small text but they are actually links to reports.  Have a look and you may find what you are looking for. :)

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I missed the DAC Information page in the V0.3.5 update. I've attached a screenshot for interested in seeing what it looks like. 

Version : V0.3.5 - Date : 13-03-2017

- Update Shairport-sync to 3.0

- Add Squeezelite audio options

- Add DAC information page

- Modify update check routine

- Fix empty DAC name

- Fix MPD streaming issue

Thanks again. This is a great example of the incredible value of the CA Community.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 1.01.50 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have my sMS-200 paired with the W4S PS-1 and could not be happier. To all who read this review, I have to disagree strongly with assessment that the sMS-200 is more CD than 180 gram vinyl when compared to the microRendu. With a decent power supply, the sMS-200 has brought me closer to an analogue sound than any other upgrade in my system.

1 hour ago, guerph said:

I have my sMS-200 paired with the W4S PS-1 and could not be happier. To all who read this review, I have to disagree strongly with assessment that the sMS-200 is more CD than 180 gram vinyl when compared to the microRendu. With a decent power supply, the sMS-200 has brought me closer to an analogue sound than any other upgrade in my system.

That is probably 'cos Chris had used his microRendu with the excellent, but very pricey @ $1400 Sonore Signature Series linear power supply.

If he had used the same expensive PSU with the SOtM sMS-200, his conclusions might have been different. Mine certainly are.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

5 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

That is probably 'cos Chris had used his microRendu with the excellent, but very pricey @ $1400 Sonore Signature Series linear power supply.

If he had used the same expensive PSU with the SOtM sMS-200, his conclusions might have been different. Mine certainly are.

I don't doubt your conclusions. However, if my aunt was a man he would be my uncle. If, if, if :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't doubt your conclusions. However, if my aunt was a man he would be my uncle. If, if, if :~)

The review in and of itself would have been just fine regardless of PSU used.  Where it became open to contention was when the two devices were compared.  This should have been, and still should be in a separate review.  Comparing apples with oranges regardless of the number of possible types of apples and oranges out there, are still apples and oranges.  Bob's your uncle.  I understand the mfg wanted you to use a specific PSU, and by all means that request should be honored, but if the mfg's wanted their products to be compared with each other's, I'm guessing they'd want the PSU playing field level and at least one would have chosen a different option.  A fair comparison would have either included the  iFi or LPS-1 for both devices.  The mR is even offered with the iFi, but the LPS-1 is the most common PSU being used to power these devices based on these forums.

If you haven't updated your references to the lack of DAC info in the review, that probably should be corrected before even more people read it.  It was a pretty big miss.  No one's perfect and the review is good overall.  These are just suggestions from your community. FWIW.

By the way, I really liked your honesty in critiquing both devices.  Because of your credibility people listen.  When people critique these devices in the forum, they tend to get flamed.

Has anyone else found they preferred the micro rendu to the SMS-200?  I think all the CA user feedback I've seen expressed a preference for the SMS-200.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

If you want to maximise the performance and can stomach $445 - get the UpTone Audio LPS-1 supercapacitor PSU with the $49 iFi iPower SMPS. 

Not doubting what you hear in your system, but Uptone says the PS feeding the LPS-1 should make no difference to the LPS-1. 

The only possible difference is the amount of noise the feeder supply puts back towards the wall, and not to the LPS-1.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

But I like the sound from the mR.  It suits a purpose in my chain to slightly mellow the sound.  For that reason I've kept it, and have preferred it.

Thanks for your balanced assessment, @Johnseye.   

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Not doubting what you hear in your system, but Uptone says the PS feeding the LPS-1 should make no difference to the LPS-1. 

The only possible difference is the amount of noise the feeder supply puts back towards the wall, and not to the LPS-1.

I have measured both and found out, that the Meanwell kicks back up to 5x more noise into the AC line than the iFi iPower:

kRWbeb.gif

Full details of this test in THIS thread

Since the Meanwell is not free, but costs $15, I consider $34 more for the iFi money well spent.

Adam

2 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

I have measured both and found out, that the Meanwell kicks back up to 5x more noise into the AC line than the iFi iPower:

kRWbeb.gif

Full details of this test in THIS thread

Since the Meanwell is not free, but costs $15, I consider $34 more for the iFi money well spent.

Or one could just plug into a separate circuit those meanwells or any other switching power supplies.  A better option is to get an isolation transformer and again plug in those noise switching supplies outside the isolation transformer.  An isolation transformer is a very good investment for it's return.  Less than $200, sometimes under $100

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the detailed analysis Adam. 

IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to update both mR and sMS-200 reviews with stuff you did not know exist / was not available at the time of writing. 

(mR: Spotify Connect; SOtM: WiFi, built-in media server, added DAC info page)

Both tests are will be read for months to come and are one of the most popular CA buys. 

Adam

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Or one could just plug into a separate circuit those meanwells or any other switching power supplies.  A better option is to get an isolation transformer and again plug in those noise switching supplies outside the isolation transformer.  An isolation transformer is a very good investment for it's return.  Less than $200, sometimes under $100

In my measurements, a simple 1:1 isolation transformer was only able to reduce the AC noise by 40%. You would sill be getting less noise with iFi iPower, with less cost and less system complexity. 

In a perfect world and unlimited budget, it would be best to use both (which is what I'm doing: I have all my SMPS sinked in a power conditioner with multiple EMI filters and isolation transformers). 

Adam

10 hours ago, rickca said:

Has anyone else found they preferred the micro rendu to the SMS-200?  I think all the CA user feedback I've seen expressed a preference for the SMS-200.  

A friend of mine, to whom I sold my second microRendu, did. He tried both with his UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU and dCS DAC and prefered the mR. 

It seems that those devices are very system dependent. 

Adam

7 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

A friend of mine, to whom I sold my second microRendu, did. He tried both with his UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU and dCS DAC and prefered the mR. 

Thanks for your input, @Elberoth.  I'm not cheering for either side. I just want a balanced perspective.

7 hours ago, rickca said:

Thanks for your balanced assessment, @Johnseye.   

I have done everything within my budget to provide the lowest noise and distortion levels possible.  I have tuned my system to be very detail oriented and neutral.  The amp and speakers with silver cables between them make the sound very revealing.  I've essentially worked my way backwards from the speakers with this specific signature.  The downside of doing this is there is a potential for brightness or crispness that can have a hard edge, especially at loud levels.  The mR softens it very slightly.  Much more slightly than if I had chosen a different pair of speakers, or a tube amp.  This is why these devices can be so subjective to your other equipment.  If I wasn't using the AHB-2 with its low noise and distortion levels, I may have a different opinion all together.

I'm very tempted to give the new Benchmark DAC3 an audition.  The AHB-2 is so clean and neutral that if the DAC3 follows the same engineering there could be some magic going on there.  A little more research to do first.

Based on some of the experiments @romaz and @austinpop are doing, a switch and my sms-200 will be going to SOtM shortly for an upgrade.  This is all cutting edge, home audio, digital music reproduction, and some great community involvement here to help it along.

I thought this was a review about the device, it's functions, and does it work as stated by the manufacture, not the power supply.   Power supplies for some are very important, I get that, but the this review like the rendu review, was/is about the product first and foremost. You could start arguing that he should change his interconnects, or use a variety of different speakers and amps, then when would you stop questioning everything about his review.  For those of us who've read all his reviews, this is Chris's style, not to everyone's liking of course but it's his.  You also won't find many comparisons within the review, again it's about the product being reviewed first.

I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers here, just my 2 cents.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

11 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I thought this was a review about the device, it's functions, and does it work as stated by the manufacture, not the power supply.   Power supplies for some are very important, I get that, but the this review like the rendu review, was/is about the product first and foremost. You could start arguing that he should change his interconnects, or use a variety of different speakers and amps, then when would you stop questioning everything about his review.  For those of us who've read all his reviews, this is Chris's style, not to everyone's liking of course but it's his.  You also won't find many comparisons within the review, again it's about the product being reviewed first.

I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers here, just my 2 cents.

You are right. Chris could have chosen not to discuss the sound quality, instead - focus on features and build quality only. But he hasn't. That was his choice. So your point is moot.

Adam