IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

Hello to UpTone Audio friends, fans, and customers around the world:

At long last we are ready to present to you the ISO REGEN!  The web pages for it and for the new USPCB A>B Adapter (included "free" with every ISO REGEN) are published for viewing.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

This Tuesday, April 25th at precisely 9:00 a.m. (California time) the "AddToCart" button will appear on the ISO REGEN web page.  If this launch is anything at all like that of the UltraCap LPS-1 last October, it can be expected that the first run of 250 ISO REGENs will be pre-sold in a matter of hours.  So please be ready then. (My apologies to those in Australia as I know that 9:00 a.m. is the middle of the night there.  But there is a reasonable chance that early-rising-Aussies will manage to snag an ISO REGEN or two.)

Of course we will follow on the first run with more production as quickly as possible.

The first 250 units will ship May 16th–May 19th.

Here is our first revealing of the pricing:

ISO REGEN (with USPCB A>B Adapter and Mean Well SMPS)$325

ISO REGEN (with USPCB A>B Adapter and no power supply) – $310

ISO REGEN bundled with UltraCap LPS-1 (and of course 1 USPCB adapter) – $655

The bundle represents a $50 savings over purchasing them separately (with the assumption that a person would omit the SMPS from one of the packages). 

[EDIT: An available "loyalty rebate" is explained in a post just further down.]

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

As mentioned in my recent posts in the prior "unofficial" ISO REGEN thread here at CA, John and I are quite thrilled with the sonic performance of this new model.  We hope that you will be too! There are a few stories that can be told about the saga of the ISO REGEN's development (we began the project way back in January 2015), but for now I'll just share some photos and much of the text from the product page.

Feel free to ask questions, but forgive me if I don't stay too engaged with the group here this week as there are still many logistics tasks to be attended to right away.

Many thanks to you all for your patience in awaiting and anticipating the ISO REGEN.  We can't wait to get them into the hands and systems of music lovers and audio enthusiasts around the world.  Sales are one thing, but I don't consider a product a success until hundreds are using and loving it! 

--Alex Crespi

--John Swenson

P1090002.thumb.jpg.b09fa97a4ec951b7a39591fe0b7803a7.jpgIMG_1278.thumb.jpg.2ff60e34a865722d9457f251c316330e.jpgIMG_1279.thumb.jpg.7cd4a78a8600be316a1860a3d4fd2255.jpg

IMG_1268.thumb.jpg.d2c410f383967ee2aa337002af65be01.jpgIMG_1272.thumb.jpg.a58375b9c212fd469f9771192ebf74d9.jpgIMG_1276.thumb.jpg.d264ac792a98b3bbc52a05547a3f8465.jpg

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

UpTone Audio's strengths are in engineering, design and production—not in graphics and marketing.  We take a simple and very open approach to explaining our products and we avoid coining fanciful names for the techniques and technologies we use.  Many of our clients are really interested in all the features and details about our components—so the below lengthy exposé about the ISO REGEN will be enjoyed.  Yet reading and understanding it all is not necessary for the use and enjoyment of this exciting new product: As with all UpTone products, the ISO REGEN is sold with a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee. So just buy it and try it!  We think you will be VERY pleased with the results.  Thank you.

The UpTone Audio ISO REGEN is the first device—designed specifically for quality music systems—to deliver both true high-speed galvanic isolation and extremely high signal integrity in a single, small and affordable package.

The ISO REGEN includes many significant enhancements over our famous USB REGEN (almost 4,000 sold worldwide)—the original device which changed the way audiophiles think about what matters in USB audio—and which spawned a number of imitators.

Using and enjoying the dramatic musical benefits of the ISO REGEN is simple: Just insert it between your USB source and DAC.  No software drivers are needed, your computer will “see” your DAC though the ‘hub” of the REGEN.  All music data-stream formats are supported.  And you won’t need any additional USB cables (see below).

As with the original USB REGEN, the ISO REGEN uses a selected USB hub chip to create a new USB stream to deliver very high signal integrity to the DAC's USB PHY, thus decreasing the PHY’s contribution to packet noise. It is called “REGEN” since it completely REGENerates the data signals that cables are messing up.

Unlike the USB REGEN or any other similar product currently available, the ISO REGEN’s input uses the world’s only integrated high-speed USB isolator chip, the Silanna Semiconductor ICE08USB.

Why is this important—and why do you want an ISO REGEN?  Because the music will sound better!  The ISO REGEN creates a “moat” to isolate the power and signal grounds from computer/stream USB sources before your DAC.  This “moat” blocks leakage currents and other low level interference from the source.  You can expect to hear more accurate bass and a lot of micro-dynamic details that you previously missed. Vocal breath and intonation may seem more "real" and the "air" around drum and wood snaps are likely to have more "space."

With recordings of complex instrumental ensembles (be they electric or acoustic), the music just "holds together" better and makes you want to keep listening.  Thanks to our “femto”-clock timing, the sound stage will be more focused, backgrounds will seem “blacker,” and overtone harmonics will separate and decay more naturally.  But perhaps no instrument will more clearly demonstrate the ISO REGEN's benefits than acoustic piano—so be sure to include that in your audition of our device.  Over time, with the ISO REGEN in place, you will experience less listening "fatigue" and will simply find it easier to focus on the music and not the sound.  That was our primary goal during the design of this special product.

While some DACs and converters do incorporate digital isolators for galvanic isolation—they are ALWAYS after the USB input PHY chip and processor system. And unfortunately, USB input noise of all sorts still makes it through to some extent and reaches the DAC master clock (Impacts on the DAC master clock are ultimately why ANY upstream variations—in computer, USB, cables, etc.—are heard at all.  If you are interested, please see our easy to digest “white paper” on the subject.)

While the galvanic isolation offered by the ISO REGEN is important and effective, the truth is that all the other enhancements combined result in greater musical benefits than what the isolation aspect brings.  We could have brought out an “über-REGEN” with these improvements a year earlier, but we wanted to include the galvanic isolation so we tackled the numerous challenges associated with integrating the Silanna chip into our design.

How is the ISO REGEN different—from other devices and from the original USB REGEN?  We have packed onto both sides of this tiny board a lot more expensive parts—now 85 parts—and our own parts cost is 4 times that of the original REGEN.  During development, each major element was evaluated—sonically and on the test bench—to justify inclusion.  The highlights include:

• A USB 3.1 hub chip specially selected for both its proven compatibility and for its extraordinary measured signal integrity (the best we have seen).

• A world-class ultra-low-phase-noise oscillator (Crystek CCHD-575), the sort of “Femtosecond” low jitter clock normal found only in top-quality DACs as an audio master clock.

• Five of the world’s lowest noise integrated 200mA voltage regulators (the wonderful Linear Tech. LT3042).  These are important and are separately dedicated as follows: 1 at the input to clean and drop the computer’s 5V VBUS to 3.3V to power the upstream side of the isolator chip; 1 for the downstream side of the isolator chip (the “clean” side of the “moat”); 1 for the oscillator clock; 2 for the USB hub chip.

• As with the original REGEN, we still create a very clean 5VBUS output—for DACs that need it—with the terrific TI TPS7A4700 ultra-low-noise 1-amp regulator. Other aspects of the power networks were improved as well.

The cumulative audible results of all the above are NOT SUBTLE!

The ISO REGEN is an active device that needs to be powered: On the upstream/input side of the isolator “moat,” power is provided by the 5VBUS of the USB cable from your computer; on the downstream “clean” side of the isolator—where most all of the “magic” happens—an external power supply in the 6-9 volt DC range is required.  The $325 ISO REGEN kit includes a modest, reliable, world-voltage compatible AC>DC adaptor.  If you already have your own power supply available—either from an original USB REGEN, or our UltraCap LPS-1, or some other quality unit, then you can order the ISO REGEN without any PS and save $15.

Best of all is the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1 bundle we are offering at a $50 savings versus purchasing them separately.

A frequent question is if the ISO REGEN’s galvanic isolation is defeated by having an external power supply.  Absolutely not!  Full data and ground isolation are still in place.  The benefit of using our UltraCap LPS-1 as the power supply is the same as it is for other components people are using it with: The LPS-1 blocks the path of AC leakage currents and prevents “leakage loops” from forming.

Yes, we could have bus-powered the entire ISO REGEN, but that would have meant the use of noisy DC-DC switching regulators and then attempts to clean that up.  Providing up to 1 amp of clean USB VBUS power (to bus-powered DACs, headphone amps, etc.) would also become problematic.  Our attention is focused exclusively on sound quality so we skipped all cost saving shortcuts and compromises.

As before, the ISO REGEN is the only full-function active USB signal enhancer designed to plug directly into your DAC or converter, preserving the highest level of signal integrity and best impedance match.  (Having to use a USB cable after the conditioning device only degrades sound quality and adds expense.)

The original USB REGEN comes with a USB A>B adapter—for connection to the DAC input jack—which looks “solid,” but is actually just 4 very short wires crammed into a mold between the two plugs.  It is good, but nowhere near as good as our proprietary new —which we are including free with the ISO REGEN.  Carefully designed with a 4-layer circuit board, taking into account even the mass of the connectors and the widths and thicknesses of the traces, this new adapter perfectly preserves signal integrity and impedance match.  IT IS BETTER THAN ANY USB CABLE!

The USPCB adapter is also available with its ‘B’ plug turned 90-degrees (clockwise to the right when looking at it from the ‘B’ end) for vertical orientation of the REGEN—useful with DACs where horizontal positioning would interfere with connection of other cables.

As with all UpTone Audio components, the ISO REGEN includes personal and responsive support, along with a  3-year warranty.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

2 hours ago, esmit said:

Can we order from vortexbox.co.uk too?

Yes, Martin has already ordered some ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundles to go with his next shipment of LPS-1s.  And I got a second e-mail asking to add more ISO REGENs to the order (have not yet clarified with him of those additional units are to be bundles or just stand-along ISO REGEN kits).

But Vortexbox UK won't be receiving ISO REGENs any sooner than the rest of you who order directly.  Not that it matters to me who you order from (and Martin has done a very fine job for us there so far, as has Mark Welsh at Item Audio).  If you do intend to order from either of those dealers, you'd best make a reservation with them soon.  Their first shipments of ISO REGN will be just a few units.  9_9

A somewhat shy reader just sent us a question via PM and asked that we answer it here on the forum.   Here are the questions copied from his letter:

Like most I am trying to get the best bang for my audio dollar. So why didn't you and John simply wait longer and build the Iso Regen to begin with? This is my question.

I hope instead of responding to me that you will post your answer @ CA for everyone to see. My belief is that your answer will help create additional trust from your customers as they decide why and whether to spend another $300 for a product you have supposedly improved in a short time since you asked for $200 for the original Regen.  

The answer has two simple parts:

1) The Silanna high-speed USB isolator chip did not exist when we first developed the original USB REGEN (I found out about it in December 2015, about 2 months after the chip's first announcement);

[And while John and I discussed early on what it would take to offer galvanic isolation--an FPGA and bunch of development time; (this was 7 months before the Intona--which takes that approach--was ever announced), we decided against that.]

2) When we were designing the first USB REGEN at the end of 2014, even the Linear Technology LT3042 ultra-ultra-low-noise regulators had not yet been announced (they became available in April 2015);

3) While we knew that a quality, low-phase-noise clock would be helpful for the REGEN, it was not until much later that we considered that using a world-class clock would be significant.

As for it being a short time from the USB REGEN at $175 to the ISO REGEN (with 4x the parts cost) at basically $290 (if you subtract out the $35 retail USPCB being included with the ISO REGEN), I would hardly consider two years between product introductions (April 2015 – April 2017) as being a short time.

I hope the above forthright answers are helpful to you Shaun.  And please, do join up here at CA and feel free to ask anybody anything.  CA members are a friendly bunch--especially to "newbies" and we don't bite!  :)

--Alex C.

26 minutes ago, Al Jones said:

Will the rebate not be available for LPS-1 purchased from Sonore?

Oh yeah, forgot about those 50 UltraCap LPS-1s that Sonore bought for their  Black Friday/Black microRendu event last November.

As long as you also bought an original USB REGEN sometime in the past (and I recall you did Al).

37 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Alex @Superdad @JohnSwenson

Has John heard the absolutely final production build too?  Or has he left the final approval to your expert ears !

Only asking because of his movements with looking for a home etc and wondering if he's had a chance to hear the final thing. Perhaps it was difficult for him (logistically) to hear the final thing, so thought I'd ask.

Only asking out of general interest and as a John S fan, no other reason.

Cheers, Sean

John does have one of the true production boards--since the day after the first 3 arrived to me last week.  Not sure if he has been able to listen to that one yet, but he certainly had many months with near identical just prior revision--which has been in my possession since he started moving and which is what I compared the finished piece against.  Production boards most always sound better that the hand-bulilt prototypes, and there was one change we made that we both agreed would likely improve things a little--and it did!

Frankly, as I felt with the original USB REGEN before hundreds got to hear it, I feel like ISO REGEN could be very "polarizing."  I have had a lot of moments of "huh?" and "wow" and "is that right?"  And the more I switched around (with the older REGEN, with several of the well known competitive devices, without anything at all) the more the ISO REGEN hit me over the head with its qualities.  But while I expect some people will find it too different, or too challenging, I also expect most to go "WOW" and "huh?" and then to hopefully listen to a LOT of tracks and "discover the music beyond the sound." (I put that in quotes because I almost feel like trademarking that cliche.  Okay, its late, I'll stop and go to bed... O.o)

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Yeah, I know that.  I previously bought both a REGEN and an LPS-1, and I now am going to order an ISO REGEN.

But instead of ordering only an ISO REGEN, I'd like to get an additional LPS-1 ... so the bundle is attractive.  

There are two distinct discounts, one for the bundle and one for customer loyalty.  Can we please leave this for Alex to answer?

Hi Rick:

Just catching up here.  This morning I had over 100 new messages in my e-mail box!  So I've been avoiding the forum for most of the day (can't believe it is already 6:00 p.m. here).

We really appreciate all the enthusiasm--and past purchases--from so many here.  But my thinking behind the "loyalty rebate" was for it as a way to bring parity with the $50 savings of the ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundle for those who already bought an UltraCap LPS-1 for their original USB REGEN.

I have thought about this for a long time, and while I am sure we could debate and find merits in doing things differently, I have decided that the rebate terms will remain just as set forth, and that no rebate will be made for purchasers of the $655 ISO/LPS-1 bundle.  The discount is "baked into" the price, and anything further would be "double-dipping."

We believe that, even separately,  both the ISO REGEN and the UltraCap LPS-1 are priced VERY fairly for the performance they deliver.  Plus all ISO REGEN are coming "free" with the USPCB adapter, which unlike the prior adapter (bought in bags of 500) takes some as yet unknown amount of labor time to prepare (and we have to keep track of standard and 90-degree-rotated requests.)

All our products are priced for direct sale with modest profits--hopefully enough to fuel our ambitious planned (and staying secrete!) future adventures.

[Many of our competitors have to retail price their products to allow for 30-60% discounts to their networks of dealers and distributors, so by default they are building in a bunch of flexibility to offer special sales and discounts.  We could price our products higher and then offer specials, but that is not our model.] 

Thanks in advance for your understanding regarding all this.

--Alex C.

6 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Hello Alex can you sendo iso regen To Brazil?

Of course, we ship worldwide all the time!  

B|

For Brazil I recommend you either stay with the $34 Priority Mail Intl., or go for the $88 FedEx option.  We have had trouble with Express Mail (EMS) into Brazil in that USPS won't pay for loss claims to Brazil.  For regular Priority Mail we use a private insurance company that make claims very easy.

6 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

@SuperdadWill i be able to add a second USPCB to my ISO REGEN order?  I'd like to be able to completely eliminate my USB cable.

Sorry, but NOBODY is going to receive more than one USPCB until ALL of the first 250 ISO REGENs are shipped.

Only way to get more than one USPCB (short of ordering 2 ISO REGENs) is to wait until the first ISO REGEN run is sold out and then order in the second round (ship date not yet known, but early-June seems likely.

We will produce USPCBs in the days/weeks between first and second ISO REGEN shipments, so mailing small First Class Mail pouches with them might be a reasonable choice.

All you will ever have to do to know if you can order extra USPCB A>B Adapters is to check the product web page.  The moment I am comfortable accepting orders for those the "AddToCart" button will appear (as will a promised shipping timeframe).

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@Superdad

Didn't you say an email would be sent to all customers of previous products one day before launch - or some such?

This is no big deal for me, as I inhabit CA forums, but just for the record, I didn't receive any email notification. Just in case you had sent out a blast and I should have received one.

My very rudimentary e-mail blasting app (no fancy formatting or pictures) is at this very moment sending out a short announcement to over 11,000 addresses!  It sends them individually (but quite fast with just 1 second pause between each) so that they are hopefully not blocked as SPAM by worldwide mail servers.

I'm just hoping that the links I included to company, product, and forum pages come through as links.  In the inevitable dozens of mail daemon failure notices that are coming back I don't see the links.  I think that is normal but I am kicking myself for not testing the message on myself before hitting the "blast to all" button.

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

While I have the floor, second question:

will the bundle pricing (ISO-Regen+LPS-1) persist for the foreseeable future, or is it only available in this first round of orders?

Exciting times!

I think the bundle price will continue always.

I am not sure how long the rebate offer will go.  Certainly through production of the first 500-600 ISO REGENs.  There are already over 1,000 LPS-1 units out there, but I am not sure what the true number of original USB REGEN/LPS-1 owners it.  Lots of people bought the UltraCap LPS-1 to power components other than a REGEN.

Thankfully I have the power to delete posts about orders numbers and other random bits.  :/  Just trying to keep the thread a little focused on thoughts and questions about the product. (Yes, I know this is the "Launch thread" and I'll start other pre-and-post purchase product question threads--and then an eventual Listening Impressions thread as usual.)

So how is it going so far?  Just GREAT!  :D

200 units in 30 minutes!  Wow.

Just 30 more ISO REGENs left for web order in the first batch (Boards for 250, but 10 are going to Vortexbox.uk and another 10 are for a couple of other dealers, for spares, and for press.)

There should NEVER be any doubt about if you made it into the first batch or the second, etc.  Our product web pages ALWAYS have notes right below the "Add to Cart" button about when you will receive your product.

So once these last 30 ISO REGENs are spoken for via orders, I'll change the note to indicate that pressing the AddToCart button at that point will result in an order that will be fulfilled in early-June.  I can't think of any way to make it any simpler.

THANKS EVERYONE!!  

--Alex C.

P.S.  We are confident everyone is going to enjoy the ISO REGEN, but as with every product launch, the work has just begun, and I'll still be nervous until lots of people have them happily playing in their systems.

11 hours ago, Indydan said:

Will Audiostream and Digital audio review (Darko) be getting review units in this first batch? :D

No reviewer will get an ISO REGEN sooner than any of today's first-batch buyers.  While we have all seen manufacturers make big press review and advertising campaigns in advance of the public getting the product, that is the antithesis of our approach.

What all of you users--with all your various systems--have to say is far more important to us than what magazine reviewers write.  And frankly, the word-of- keyboard among you is more effective for sales.  9_9

The truth is, a good review here or there, while effective for exposure (it's like having a one week free advertisement on a home page), reviews rarely move the needle on sales unless a series of raves all come out around the same time.

How do I know this?  Well, at Hovland Comany we received over a dozen full-color, full-cover print reviews in the biggest audio magazines in the world with massive praise (the cover photos were because of the sexy industrial design--see some pics here:)

But rarely did those great reviews result in any surge in sales.  

Conversly, and more recently, the times when trusted "influencers" Paul McGowan (PS Audio) and Jim Smith (getbettersound.com) mentioned praised the USB REGEN, we saw the biggest single sales days since that product's launch.

Now don't get me wrong, I certainly understand from the buyers' perspective the desire to read reviews of a prospective product before purchase.  And indeed those will come.  We just prefer to have a base of happy users to amplify whatever the press writes.

By the way, I've already received review unit requests from six web/print mags. And 3 reviewers were smart enough to just jump in and order an ISO REGEN with the rest of today.

Lastly, there are a lot of cynics out there who think audio manufacturers pay for reviews.  I can assure you, that is total BS.  And we don't give products away for free.  We do however offer an "industry accommodation discount" to reviewers who wish to keep the device for use in their own system after the review.  That is standard practice and should not be construed as unethical.  Virtually no audio reviewer makes their living writing reviews.  Without some accommodations most reviewer reference systems would be pretty weak. (BTW, Michael Lavorgna of Audiostream obtained an UltraCap LPS-1 via full price web order and then after his review declined my offer for a discount!  I had a nice bottle of bourbon shipped to him.)

Anyway, back to tech talk.

Thanks to John for pitching in today as I battle my e-mail and logistics and get things moving for both first and second batch production.

And of course another big thanks to all who put their trust--and their money--in UpTone Audio products.  This will be a fun and musical ride for us all! :D

10 hours ago, jos said:

I am very sure they will get one for a review, because both sites are very important selling points for Uptone Audio. I wonder why other magazines don't write about this device. Perhaps Uptone Audio is not a company with enough money to advertise in those magazines, like HiFi News, Audio, Stereoplay and so on. Or am I wrong?

Please see my above reply regarding rewiews.  Advertising money has nothing to do with them.

And on the topic of advertising, while we certainly could pour some cash into some print or web ads, to-date we have yet to spend a dime on advertising, with the sole exception being the $3K/year we pay to sponsor this forum here at Computer Audiophile (where I personally have been a member since just about three months after its founding; CA is coming up on 10 years--wow!).

That may change this summer after the first couple of batches of ISO REGENs are shipped out.  Both the UltraCap LPS-1 and the ISO REGEN are stellar pieces that lend themselves to be promoted together. And while we will probably advertise at the high-traffic Head-Fi (their metrics are higher than several of the next biggest audio sites COMBINED), I can promise @The Computer Audiophilethat here at CA is where we will place our first ads.  I'm going to "dance with the one that brung me" as they say! B|

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Alex @Superdad (or John @JohnSwenson)

I asked about eye pattern measurements of the ISO REGEN vs original USB REGEN. Completely understand if you're not yet ready to publish measurements but it would be nice.

John did not do captures of eye pattern tests during development.  It was a busy time back then (he was still working full time at the big ASIC chip company), and as everyone knows has since been moving and his lab is completely packed up.

But in the meantime you've mentioned that the ISO REGEN has much better USB signal integrity than the USB REGEN (and everything else).

Indeed our use of both the Crystek 575, and the particular USB 3.1 hub chip we chose, have improved SI.  More importantly the SQ impacts of this were very audible to us.  And not just to us:. Both @Jud and @lmitche here received pairs of very early beta units where the only difference between them was that one used the USB 2.0 USB chip of the original REGEN, and the other version had the 3.1 chip we had already selected--partially for compatibility--from among the major brands.  The pieces they received we marked only as "M" and "G", and we told them nothing else.  Within moments of separately playing them, they both chose as sounding much better the lettered box that had the 3.1 hub chip.

And by the way, none of the units we had sent them had the Crystek 575 clock as we had only 3 samples of the 575 (a special order in the required 24.0/25.0MHz rates), and we had a small run of 5 each of two board types so an apples-to-apples comparison could,be made. 

How about output jitter performance? Is ISO REGEN's output jitter performance better than USB REGEN?

John can correct me if I am wrong, but for high speed USB (and Ethernet), jitter is just a component of signal integrity (as is amplitude, slew/edge rate, and noise) and is seen as part of an eye-pattern test.  I do not think traditional jitter measurements apply (as if there is such thing--I laugh when I see the designed-for-S/PDIF J-test applied to USB devices).

Besides, the really serious hardware for measuring clock and DAC jittter the right way is crazy expensive, though one of John's first projects once he gets resettled is to finish the design of an affordable replica of the famous John Miles Time Pod (known also as from first Symmeticom, and now from Microsemi for about $30K).  It is a project he has been anxious to complete for some time--along with another innovative measurement box.  There is a more than decent chance that UpTone Audio will someday offer some audio engineer targeted test equipment, since we have discussed buildability/useability considerations for these projects since the beginning.

You did mention jitter issues during the design phase associated with this new jittery isolator chip I recall.

Yes, the Silanna isolator chip adds amounts of jitter quite similar to what all traditional digital isolator chips do (the sort from TI, SilLabs, NVE, etc.) as used AFTER the USB input stages in many DACs/DDCs.  About 500ps as I recall.

If USB signal integrity is better and output jitter is lower and output noise is lower (maybe related to jitter) than the original USB REGEN and leakage currents are blocked (like an Intona) then this is the holy grail.

That's what we think, but we will leave references to the "grail", fancy coined names for circuits, and flashy graphics to the marketing departments of others.  

Appreciate if you can share some technical stuff on the above, not really in comparison to any other products (I was naughty for mentioning Intona there) but specifically against the original USB REGEN.

Cheers, Sean.

While I know we will never satisfy your insatiable appetite for product information and gossip Sean,  I hope that my above disclosures keep your belly full for a little while.  The next step is for you to hear the ISO REGEN for yourself.  Did you get an order into the first batch yesterday?9_9 

Well, time for me to put the iPad down and get out of bed to start a busy day.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

14 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Wowza, epic reply Alex. Thank you!

The only thing that may not have been asked or covered, is how effective did you and John find the isolation function of the new isolator chip. Apart from being jittery does this new chip do it's primary function (isolation) really well and completely block groundloops and leakage currents? I'm guessing that's a big yes otherwise you wouldn't have selected it. It's sad I know but I like reading about this stuff.

Amazingly, there was something I meant to say but left out. xD

There are a few devices that out there (Coolgear, AllDAQ, and a cheap one from Hong Kong) which use the same Silanna isolator chip we do (we've had the chip since December 2015, but it's use can be problematic for audio--and not just because of the jitter).

Those products use only the isolator (plus a switching regulator across the moat to bus power both sides), and the jitter is super easy to hear!  Actually they are a good lesson in what excess jitter in a USB chain sounds like.

Our hub chip, great clocking, and superior power network design take care of the jitter from the isolator.

In other respects, the Silanna chips works very well!

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Great stuff. Thanks again.

PS: when you mentioned my "insatiable appetite for product information and gossip"

Production information (in the form facts) = yes, I have an insatiable appetite in understanding what my hard earned dollars are buying - understanding but ultimately trying of course.

If by gossip you mean a couple of our PM's, then my appetite is only equal to yours ;-) All said in good fun of course :D

Of course Sean! xD