IGNORED

Giant Black Things in my Living Room

57 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

It isn't far from you, and you could eat some small fish soaked in lye... or "hot dish"!  Apparently, they live off of those two items.

The Nordic traditional items and hotdishes are no longer a regionally prominent part of the cuisine.  Somehow Mpls turned into the infernal symbiote of Portland and Williamsburg.  Chief among the reasons for this is our new chief of state causing a mass (trustfund) hipster migration to Malmo.  Between that and every other town being a sister city to somewhere in Sweden you have some connection still.

6 months??  I thought it was 12 - bitter cold (unlike the warm sunny Southside of Chicago) followed by black flies

I do recall your impressions on the ARC - did not recall the soundstage comment specifically.  BTW, my listening chair broke (it was only $2,000+ so I guess that was inevitable) and I am sitting on the couch - too far back for good soundstaging - yet I am stil enjoying the music from these things.

Maybe the soundstaging is linked to the Little House on the Prairie thing?  or Giants in the Earth?

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

In all fairness, the co.s are close to each other.  Maybe you should arrange some factory tours on a road trip to Minn.???

It isn't far from you, and you could eat some small fish soaked in lye... or "hot dish"!  Apparently, they live off of those two items.

Stay away from that Lutefisk.  You can add Jriver, Bel Canto, Audio by Van Alstine and AntiCable to the trip.  All in the Metro area.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

don't forget the tiny mini-sodas for which the state is named

or the lack of words in sentences, such as "Gotta go store" instead of saying "I must go to the grocery store" *

* courtesy of a story one of my former grad. students used to tell about his wife, a native Min-Sodaian

I have never heard anyone say that highlighted bit above.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

or the lack of words in sentences, such as "Gotta go store" instead of saying "I must go to the grocery store" *

* courtesy of a story one of my former grad. students used to tell about his wife, a native Min-Sodaian

You forgot the obligatory sentence ending eh. Gotta go store eh. 

All jokes aside, this is a pretty awesome place to live for a bunch of reasons.  Here is one:

http://www.startribune.com/it-s-official-twin-cities-best-place-to-live-in-nation-says-list-of-lists/339920402/

The website looked at seven previously-ranked criteria, including Greenest Cities (ranking by Wallethub.com), Best Cities for Foodies (by Travel + Leisure magazine), Best Cities for Job Seekers (by Nerdwallet.com), the similar Best Cities to Get a Job list (from Fortune magazine), and Best Cities for Students without a Car (BestColleges.com).

Here are some more.

21740889_1724735107829094_9129981445956710915_o.jpg

21743654_10155719780939204_6990103722516121578_o.jpg

21752752_10209791685739222_7645483323985360376_o.jpg

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Mní sóta, Dakota Sioux words meaning 'Clear Blue Water.'  

I was surprised at the heavy amount of leaves that have fallen already and how far the trees have turned on my ride today in 80 F.  

How about some pictures of immense white things in our near future.

9+storm0210gal.jpg   maxresdefault.jpg   minnesota_snowdrift.gif

3 hours ago, rando said:

Mní sóta, Dakota Sioux words meaning 'Clear Blue Water.'  

I was surprised at the heavy amount of leaves that have fallen already and how far the trees have turned on my ride today in 80 F.  

How about some pictures of immense white things in our near future.

9+storm0210gal.jpg   maxresdefault.jpg   minnesota_snowdrift.gif

Nothing wrong with snow and cold, it kills bugs and germs! I hope we have a respectably snowy and reasonably cold winter coming here in Michigan this year. 

JC

On 9/13/2017 at 5:02 PM, Ralf11 said:

Thanks for the setup re treating a room for resonances and reflections!

here is how Audio Research Corporation tests their expensive tubey electronics before shipping:

Magnepan 20.7 speakers in Warren Gehl's listening test room at the ARC factory_9.jpg

Found this video.  You get a tour of their facility and the room with the Maggies.  This is part 2 of 2.

12 minutes ago, wdw said:

Maggies are one of the most engaging and compelling speakers extant....my audio youth was spent with a pair of 2.6's driven by, surprisingly, a Naim Audio 160 and 32.5, with a Linn front end....very fond memories of great musical events.

I should use your post to sell my 1.5's...

• 1 month later...