IGNORED

Giant Black Things in my Living Room

On 29/03/2017 at 11:08 PM, esldude said:

http://science.ehc.edu/~shopp/JCP102.pdf

You might be onto something here.  Monkeys to test audio gear.  Hearing to 45 khz.  They can't have human biases.  We just use them as test subjects.  Like if the monkeys don't react to differences in DSD vs 96 khz PCM, we can be sure humans couldn't really hear a difference. We will need some of those 'research grade' Maggies however. I wonder if I could interest some audio companies in helping me set up a testing shop for them.  Be providing a public service I would.

I wonder if monkeys play ultrasonic instruments... They'd come in handy if one wishes to test ultrasonic speakers. That or a whale song.

P.S. I wonder what an ultrasonic instrument sounds like... Must find a recording of ultrasonic music.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Ha!  an ultrasonic instrument sounds like a dog whistle

I am still listening to these things vs. the 1.5s - not blind tho

I listened briefly to the 3.6s and was pleasantly surprised.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

27 minutes ago, semente said:

I wonder if monkeys play ultrasonic instruments... They'd come in handy if one wishes to test ultrasonic speakers. That or a whale song.

P.S. I wonder what an ultrasonic instrument sounds like... Must find a recording of ultrasonic music.

Some human instruments are also ultrasonic.  As for what it sounds like easy to find out.  Take music into a sound editor and slow it down by 50%.  Now you can hear to 40 khz.  Of course it is a slow 40 khz. :)

I sometimes have taken high sample rate recordings and slow them to 25% of normal speed after filtering out everything below 20 khz just to see what is up there.  It is usually not much of anything. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 4:18 PM, Ralf11 said:

I should NOT have waited 22 years to upgrade (from 1.5QR's).  Anyone who has any Maggies (esp. ones earlier than the 3.6s) should turn the old ones into end tables and get newer!!

No comparison between those two. The 3.6's are one of the stupid bargains out there on the used market. Love em. 

David

12 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

To be honest, some of the improvements the 3.7i's have made are things I didn't even realize were possible.  

I think the change between x.6 and x.7 series was huge... had MG1b's for years but could never get excited about newer models. My wallet came out of my pocket the first night I heard the 1.7's

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

15 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Interesting - I skipped the x.6 era, but I have read that Maggie really improved the 3.6's over the previous ones.  Anyway, the 3.7i's are truly xlnt speakers, and pretty easy to drive too (which saves on amplifier costs).

Fantastic speakers. Congrats on your purchase!

David

ok, here they are - I often pull them further apart and further from the rear wall if "really" listening.

Given the highly asymmetric room and the glass on 1st & 2nd reflection points for the LH side I am a bit surprised they sound as good as they do.

Den stereo Listening Room.JPG

• 3 months later...

I had the 3.5's for couple years and loved them .. Well bass extension was tad shy for my taste.  But I had to get rid of them as every couple months I had to replace the ribbon tweets on one of them .

To expensive to own ! 

Bunch of crap so hope the new versions better as I really loved the music . Plus to damn big unless you have a dedicated room .

Ended up with tannoy 15 " Winston Churchill speakers as they seem to give the same presentation musically...  haven't blown them up yet .. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

In all fairness, the co.s are close to each other.  Maybe you should arrange some factory tours on a road trip to Minn.???

It isn't far from you, and you could eat some small fish soaked in lye... or "hot dish"!  Apparently, they live off of those two items.

48 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

In all fairness, the co.s are close to each other.  Maybe you should arrange some factory tours on a road trip to Minn.???

It isn't far from you, and you could eat some small fish soaked in lye... or "hot dish"!  Apparently, they live off of those two items.

Do you recall my first impressions of the ARC pre?  I said I understood why you liked it with your Maggie's. They both have a sound signature of a large soundstage.  What's even more interesting is that the Atma-sphere MP-3 preamp has a very similar signature. More so than any other pre I've heard. Guess where they're located. 

I briefly lived in a city close to ARC. You don't want to go outside for 6 months of the year. Perfect for indoor sports like home audio.