IGNORED

Giant Black Things in my Living Room

On 9/19/2017 at 8:16 PM, wdw said:

Maggies are one of the most engaging and compelling speakers extant....my audio youth was spent with a pair of 2.6's driven by, surprisingly, a Naim Audio 160 and 32.5, with a Linn front end....very fond memories of great musical events.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only 4 speaker manufacturers worth bothering about: Magnepan, Martin-Logan, (for their ESLs) Sound Lab, and Quad (again, for their ESLs). To me di-polar planar speakers are where it's at.

George

On 4/24/2017 at 10:03 PM, Ralf11 said:

To be honest, some of the improvements the 3.7i's have made are things I didn't even realize were possible.  

One thing that the current generation of all Magnepan products share is the fact that they have completely eliminated that peculiar "ih" coloration that have plagued the upper midrange region of all Maggies to a greater or lesser extent since day one. It used to be something that, if you were a fan of the things that Maggies did right, you just accepted. Thankfully, it's now gone

George

I guess that was the quasi- ribbon "effect" instead of a true ribbon(?)

Planar speakers act like near line sources and such things are hard to beat in certain respects.  I have to admit that if anyone here gives me a set of Sonus Faber Aida's I will dump the 3.7i's right away.

BTW George - what about the Carver Amazing & Eminent Technology speakers?

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Planar speakers act like near line sources and such things are hard to beat in certain respects.  I have to admit that if anyone here gives me a set of Sonus Faber Aida's I will dump the 3.7i's right away.

I've never heard the former, so I can't say, but I have heard the Eminent Technology (years ago) and wasn't particularly impressed. The ETs were at a Hi-Fi show, in a hotel suite, so, in all fairness, I might not have heart the ETs at their best. I probably should  just say that I'm not familiar enough with either speaker to have much of an opinion. 

George

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2017 at 7:27 PM, Ralf11 said:

I'm right there with you. Anyone willing to give me a pair of of Sonus Faber Aida's, or the Carver Amazing Line Source speakers will earn my eternal gratitude!

JC