IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

14 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I simply cannot let you off that easily with the analogy you've chosen. There are only seventeen people in the Western Hemisphere that actually like Brussel sprouts! 

JC

Well, I, of course, cannot disagree with you, here. To me they're like eating a plateful of pure sulfur! How something that is so cabbage-like in aroma when cooking can taste so astringent is beyond me. I must know some of that 17 because friends keep trying to pawn brussels sprouts off on me when I go to their houses for dinner! :) 

George

9 hours ago, semente said:

Trump's behaviour is that of a dictator (control the media, identify a foreign menace, take control of the supreme court, unprovoked attack on a sovereign nation unilaterally, etc.).

We will never know what the other candidate would have done but dictators have been know to have started wars...if you know your history.

I'm no Trump fan and as a MGTOWer I like Hilary even less, but this is no place for politics. Let's get back to audio!

George

8 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well, I, of course, cannot disagree with you, here. To me they're like eating a plateful of pure sulfur! How something that is so cabbage-like in aroma when cooking can taste so astringent is beyond me. I must know some of that 17 because friends keep trying to pawn brussels sprouts off on me when I go to their houses for dinner! :) 

Toss them with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds). Roast them on high heat until they start to caramelize, which brings out the sweetness. Might change your mind.

3 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Toss them with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds). Roast them on high heat until they start to caramelize, which brings out the sweetness. Might change your mind.

I've had them cooked that way (sans the Pumpkin seeds, though). But thanks for the suggestion. 

George

• 3 weeks later...

The JA/Stereophile saga continues....After blasting the Yggy for not resolving the last two bits of 24 Bit resolution music files and saying the Yggy is a Class B component, this sad soul had this to say about another DAC review...

and I quote...

" ....implying resolution close to 20 bits, which is state-of-the-art DAC performance" .   What?   now what can he say about the Yggy??  Robert Harley said it best...."The best bargain in the history of High-End audio!!!" 

2 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

The JA/Stereophile saga continues....After blasting the Yggy for not resolving the last two bits of 24 Bit resolution music files and saying the Yggy is a Class B component, this sad soul had this to say about another DAC review...

and I quote...

" ....implying resolution close to 20 bits, which is state-of-the-art DAC performance" .   What?   now what can he say about the Yggy??  Robert Harley said it best...."The best bargain in the history of High-End audio!!!" 

Class B is quite high in Stereophile terms, is it not?

Well here is what Robert Harley did auditioning the Yggy...

Although Moffatt warned me that the Yggy wouldn’t sound

good right out of the box, I gave it a quick listen anyway after

an hour of warm-up. He was right; the Yggy was hard, bright,

forward, and flat. I checked in with it a couple of times over

the next week and heard it improving somewhat, but it was still

disappointing. I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for

a full month before revisiting it.

So just hook it up and let it run 24/7 until you get at least a 100 hours on it before the sweetness start to ooze.

Then be prepared to hear these qualities....

When I returned to the

Yggy I discovered a DAC

that wasn’t superb. It wasn’t

even good. And it certainly

wasn’t “good for the money.”

What I discovered, to my

amazement, was a DAC that

was stunningly great, period.

Price aside, the Yggy turned

out to be a world-class contender

in the same league as

cost-no-object digital-to-analog

converters—and I’ve

heard some good ones. How

could this be?

I can’t tell you how Moffatt

did it, but I can  describe

how the Yggy sounds, and

why its one of the three best

DACs I’ve heard regardless

of price. (The other two are

the $19,500 Berkeley Alpha

Reference and the $35,000

dCS Vivaldi.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 4:06 AM, AnotherSpin said:

As a deadhead myself I never felt an urge to prove anything to anybody about them and I live easily with the fact that most of people I knew personally do not care about GD.

The Grateful Dead were more than just a Band. They were a way of life, and what I really appreciated was what Jerry Garcia said, when asked about the "taper section". To paraphrase, he said that after they were done playing the music, they were done with it, and they would make more the next show. They made and lost their fortune as a live band, never making much of an impact on Recording charts. (With the exception of "In the Dark")

In the context of this forum, they were 'audiophiles' about their product. The 1974 "Wall of Sound" experience taught them that a PA system full of McIntosh amps and JBL speakers that filled three tractor trailers might not be the best touring package--but the music that system made was second to none.

The Grateful Dead is a lot like Brussels Sprouts. You either like them, or you hate them. Count me among the ones who love Brussels Sprouts--especially when prepared au gratin, with a well aged Oude Kaas from Holland.

16 minutes ago, bigbob said:

The Grateful Dead were more than just a Band. They were a way of life, and what I really appreciated was what Jerry Garcia said, when asked about the "taper section". To paraphrase, he said that after they were done playing the music, they were done with it, and they would make more the next show. They made and lost their fortune as a live band, never making much of an impact on Recording charts. (With the exception of "In the Dark")

In the context of this forum, they were 'audiophiles' about their product. The 1974 "Wall of Sound" experience taught them that a PA system full of McIntosh amps and JBL speakers that filled three tractor trailers might not be the best touring package--but the music that system made was second to none.

The Grateful Dead is a lot like Brussels Sprouts. You either like them, or you hate them. Count me among the ones who love Brussels Sprouts--especially when prepared au gratin, with a well aged Oude Kaas from Holland.

Can you suggest a good record?

I have their "In The Dark" but always found it too bland and after several attempts throughout the years I gave up trying.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

23 minutes ago, semente said:

I have their "In The Dark" but always found it too bland and after several attempts throughout the years I gave up trying.

The three I would suggest off the top of my head are Workingman’s Dead, American Beauty, and Europe ‘72.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

31 minutes ago, semente said:

Yes, and no. No, because studio recordings is not what made them greatest band ever. Yes, because there are several good studio albums nevertheless. I like, for example, American Beauty, Blues for Allah, Terrapin Station. From live albums which were published before '95 my favorite were Dead Set and Reckoning which were compiled from the same shows. Now the difficult part starts. Hundreds of excellent live sets were published in a couple of last decades. It is virtually not possible to narrow and select one or even few records from this enormous massive of consistently great music. Plus, there are hundreds and hundreds of live shows recorded privately by tapers which are in legal circulation. Anyway, just to name a couple – fabulous Cornell 5/8/77 show, which is available now for download from dead dot net site, and Closing of Winterland set. By the way, the very new movie about Dead, Long Strange Trip is awesome.

Agreed we need to transfer to a Dead thread, but I must add because I love the band so much.  I'm no expert, but I like the song choices and great performances on "Grateful Dead" (Skull & Roses) CD from 1971.  My favorite recording of Sugar Magnolia, one of the best dance songs ever written, is on The Live at Fillmore East, April 1971 album.  It's called "Ladies and Gentlemen...the Grateful Dead" and BTW is on Tidal.  And just for one song, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," the "Dylan and the Dead" CD is worth buying.  The single song is *much* harder to find, perhaps because it's such a powerful song.  Maybe it's best I've heard Dylan sing.  Try singing along without shedding tears: if you can you're a better man than me!

Also suggest the many Grisman and Garcia albums.  At an AES Convention I met the engineer "dB Dave" Dennison, who told me all about how the project started and finished.  Wonderful, humble guy, looked 10 years younger than me but was 40+!!  We met in the elevator as the show was closing, we talked about acoustics and loudspeaker design (he was then the design head for Martinsound, IIRC), then he told me the story.  I had the CD and thanked him for his great work.  The first CD (ACD-2) was sonically outstanding, but since it was recorded to tape, Mobile Fidelity remastered the first one ("Jerry Garcia / David Grisman") for SACD when they could swing it.  Moral: get the to an AES Convention if you ever can!  AES Memberships are cheap. 

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.