IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Amazing how this thread dried up after the latest posted review!

How about that!? I noticed that as well. I have wondered if the Yggy detractors find that they don't like the sound of the DAC because their systems either suppress or exaggerate some portion of the audio spectrum. I know that people who have "voiced" their systems to favor vinyl, don't like digital at all. On the other hand, some who have posted here just have some axe to grind wrt Schiit or either Mike Moffat or Jason Stoddard.

George

I don't care if someone expresses an opinion that says they don't like the Yggdrasil. Not everyone is going to like the Yggdrasil.

My problem is when they use scope data to suggest the DAC is crap and then admit they don't know if what they hear and don't like has anything at all to do with the scope data. Of course, going on and on about it is grating too. It gets even more ridiculous when they get a maker of another DAC to help then shed light on the Yggdrasil problems. No conflict there.

Finally, when just about everyone else on the planet can't hear the alleged problem doesn't help their cause either.

That last review just goes to show the lunacy of the attacks. 

On 2017-04-11 at 11:53 AM, LarryMagoo said:

Here is all you need to know about the Yggy reviewed Robert Hartley from The Absolute Sound...

Conclusion

I don’t know how Schiit Audio has done it, but the $2300 Yggy

is in many ways competitive with any DAC I’ve heard regardless

of price. In some criteria—transient speed without etch, clarity

of musical line, whole-body involvement—the Yggy is as good

as digital gets. Yet the Yggy’s bold incisiveness may not resonate

with listeners who prefer a more relaxed and easygoing sound.

I, however, have no such reservation; this is a DAC I could

listen to and enjoy for a long time. In fact, there was something

different about the Yggy that pushed my buttons—I felt a musical

exhilaration that was experienced not as some intellectual

abstraction, but at a more fundamentally visceral level.

If you’re looking for a DAC that does quad-rate DSD, decodes

MQA, offers a volume control, and includes a headphone

amp, look elsewhere. But if the very best reproduction of PCM

sources is your goal, the Yggdrasil is the ticket. It’s a spectacular

performer on an absolute level, and an out-of-this world bargain.

The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today’s DACs,

it’s one of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio

Has he compared to this I wonder?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I don't think you have to think most of the detractors have an ax to grind. Some people just don't like a certain sound.

Some people swear by Lampizators as the best sounding DACs on the planet, some people don't like them. Some people  think Magico or Magnepan make the best sounding speakers on the planet, others don't like them.

One person"s "precise, detailed, clean, and natural" is  another's "shrill and sterile, digital sounding".

I don't think that most detractors have an axe to grind, but certainly a couple who have posted here in the last couple of weeks certainly seem to. OTOH, like I said, it is possible that some folks with systems that are "tweaked" for a certain sound may exaggerate some portion of the playback of their systems for a certain sound, and some components simply aren't compatible with that sound. Of course this is merely an attempt by me to explain why some here don't like a component (in this case a Yggy) that sounds more like live music than any other digital to analog conversion I've ever heard. I feel that I have a good feel for things that sound natural and neutral because I do live recordings of classical and jazz ensembles all the time, and I think I know what real live music sounds like (not that there aren't others on this forum who also know what real, live, acoustic music sounds like) 

George

10 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

One day you'll realise that reviews are meaningless.

My guess is that the talk has moved elsewhere...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I pay little to no attention to reviews and have let my AS subscription lapse. I just found the drop off interesting. The other thread you mention isn't quite as vitriolic.

I don't think the other thread is vitriolic at all, just technical and quite unbiased.

Have you tried to understand why some people used a more "critical" (vitriolic?) tone in this thread?

R

I didn't mean to imply that the other thread is vitriolic at all. It isn't. As for being critical of the Yggy, by all means go for it. I just don't see it. I have purchased one myself after hearing one for two years. Best DAC I have ever heard and this includes Chord, Benchmark, Berkeley, Aqua, Gustard and Halo just to name a few. I can see that those with systems and or rooms that tend to the bright side of things might not like the Yggy. DACs are somewhat system dependent. I find the level of detail, spaciousness and overall timbre to be outstanding in every room I have heard one.  I just don't see the point in trying to disparage someone's choice which is where I think this thread went to some degree. Note, I am not saying that you have,

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I pay little to no attention to reviews and have let my AS subscription lapse. I just found the drop off interesting. The other thread you mention isn't quite as vitriolic.

I weigh online professional reviews at about 10%. I rate reviews in forums by those who actually use the equipment at 90% with consideration given to their associated equipment and musical tastes. Since there are very few high end shops left these days and they tend to cater to home theater we are increasingly left to word of mouth Internet reviews on multiple sites. Sometimes this means buying equipment that does not work out, integrate with what we have, or suit our personal musical taste. In general my system has improved wonderfully by participating in forums like CA and Head-Fi. Sadly, I have found CA to be increasingly contentious while at the same time less open to new lines of thought or technology. Lower signal to noise ratio.

I discount criticism by folks theorizing about equipment they have never listened at about -90% and tend to skip their posts entirely from then on. If someone has owned the device but did not like it that is different. At least they have listened to it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

55 minutes ago, mourip said:

I weigh online professional reviews at about 10%. I rate reviews in forums by those who actually use the equipment at 90% with consideration given to their associated equipment and musical tastes. Since there are very few high end shops left these days and they tend to cater to home theater we are increasingly left to word of mouth Internet reviews on multiple sites. Sometimes this means buying equipment that does not work out, integrate with what we have, or suit our personal musical taste. In general my system has improved wonderfully by participating in forums like CA and Head-Fi. Sadly, I have found CA to be increasingly contentious while at the same time less open to new lines of thought or technology. Lower signal to noise ratio.

I discount criticism by folks theorizing about equipment they have never listened at about -90% and tend to skip their posts entirely from then on. If someone has owned the device but did not like it that is different. At least they have listened to it.

In spite of how "nice"/"pleasant"/"good" the Yggdrasil may sound to one or a handful of individuals, there are aspects of it's measured performance that (probably) affect "transparency" (or accurate handling of the recorded signal).

This may or may not matter to you but one shouldn't ignore it or play down it's importance, particularly for the reasons you have mentioned (in bold).

I have not listened to the Yggdrasil and for me measured or technical performance is probably more important that "word of mouth".

R

I have some recording I have been involved in making and they sound completely transparent through the Yggy. This is one of the reasons I don't find the measurement issues all that relevant. I don't hear what these measurements are measuring. Of course, YMMV.

On 11/04/2017 at 7:53 PM, LarryMagoo said:

Yet the Yggy’s bold incisiveness may not resonate with listeners who prefer a more relaxed and easygoing sound.

It's not "bold incisiveness", it's distortion.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

17 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

You give your subjective opinion on the Yggy, having listened to it for a few weeks in your own system and compared it to DACs you know very well, and then back these opinions up with measurements, and the Schiit fanboys blow a gasket. You don't respond to one reviewer's opinions and the Schiit fanboys think the definitive word on the DAC has been spoken.

From my time with the Yggy, Stereophile's class B rating for the Yggy is about right.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

8 minutes ago, manisandher said:

From my time with the Yggy, Stereophile's class B rating for the Yggy is about right.

Mani.

It's a great thing that your opinion and that of JA's is so totally removed form what the preponderance of owners think.....Why don't you just go to thread where your opinion is popular because you obviously do not fit a thread about the Yggy...much less own one you TROLL!

1 hour ago, LarryMagoo said:

It's a great thing that your opinion and that of JA's is so totally removed form what the preponderance of owners think.....Why don't you just go to thread where your opinion is popular because you obviously do not fit a thread about the Yggy...much less own one you TROLL!

Haha... Straight to name-calling. Well done.

Mani.

38 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Lighten up Magoo. 

Posts like this aren't allowed on CA. I hate that I have to say that to an adult. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Lighten up Magoo. 

Posts like this aren't allowed on CA. I hate that I have to say that to an adult. 

Like manisandher's post was all that much better than LarryMagoo's??? His is a childish post poorly hidden in what would otherwise appear to be an opinion.

I have blocked manisandher's posts because all he is doing now is trolling...and you just let it continue. It diminishes the value of this place.

9 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Like manisandher's post was all that much better than LarryMagoo's??? His is a childish post poorly hidden in what would otherwise appear to be an opinion.

I have blocked manisandher's posts because all he is doing now is trolling...and you just let it continue. It diminishes the value of this place.

Please post a quote or direct like. Otherwise I can only guess what you're talking about. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

all he is doing now is trolling...and you just let it continue. It diminishes the value of this place.

Site owners have to walk a fine line between keeping trolls out and letting robust discussion proceed, which keeps a site lively. Some people are very good at walking right up to the site owner's red line but not cross, and they like to spend their time and effort doing that. Some people feel offended by seeing that kind of game played.  I've stopped reading this thread quite a while ago because S/N ratio became way too low, for whatever reasons, just stopped by because it showed up again on my "unread" list and it seemed weird that people were still going at it.There's a lot of other good content on this site and in other forums. One of the great things about the Internet is that it has practically unlimited capacity to carry content, so why obsess about a teeny sliver of content that you don't care for?

Three cheers for Fernando for calling it perfectly.   Mani has zero to contribute except to throw mud on something he obviously does NOT own or even like....He can go to a thread where he actually makes a positive contribution instead of throwing shade on everyone else....

Well everyone else besides John Atkinson...