IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

Hello,

I have two separate computer systems running Audirvana, one is my home office and the other is Mac Mini that I use as a music server in the living room. Is there a way to export Tidal playlists so I can have a copy on the other computer? There doesn't appear to be.  Thanks. 

A friend just tried to buy Audirvana and Avangate (the middleman I guess) told them they needed to provide more proof of identity. Avangate’s asking for a cooy of recent credit card bill and a copy of photo identification card. What the &$/?

This friend couldn’t have a cleaner or more solid financial background.

Damien I don’t know how many salesyou lose to people walking away, as my friend has from this level of intrusion.

6 minutes ago, Rezseeker said:

Avangate’s asking for a cooy of recent credit card bill and a copy of photo identification card.

Sounds like your friend got hacked.  Hard to imagine a legitimate payment processor would ask for that.  Will be interested to read Damien's response.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Unusual to say the least ! Payment gateways normally just refuse the transaction, rather than go into details or any sort of dialogue. They normally refer you to your bank or credit card company.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

10 minutes ago, stewartg said:

Do readers think the sound quality with audirvana 3 is better than the last version of audirvana 2

im not interested in MQA or playlistS I just want to play my cd rips upsampled to dsd128

Yes for PCM both with and without upsampling. Don't have DSD DAC.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

41 minutes ago, stewartg said:

Do readers think the sound quality with audirvana 3 is better than the last version of audirvana 2

im not interested in MQA or playlistS I just want to play my cd rips upsampled to dsd128

it's a lot more detailed and revealing with straight PCM playback. I'll play devil's advocate and say this is not always a good thing, depending on speakers, mastering of the recording, etc.

I also have a minor issue with v3.0.7. Realtime AudioUnits control and setup does not work on my computer running Mavericks.

45 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

it's a lot more detailed and revealing with straight PCM playback.

Apparently this is the reason why Direct Mode 2 (Integer Mode 2 respectively) sounds so great with V3. I've compared the modes 3 years ago or so and decided to use Mode 1. Later switched to Mac's native integer Mode (so "Direct Mode" disabled in A+). Just recently tried Mode 2 again with V3 and really love the sound. Less surgical seperation than Mode 1... also more cohesive definition here. Still very detailled.

No issues with AU plugins in realtime on my Mavericks OS X (haven't tried since V3.0.2, though, because meanwhile I am on El Capitan).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

1 hour ago, wwaldmanfan said:

it's a lot more detailed and revealing with straight PCM playback. I'll play devil's advocate and say this is not always a good thing, depending on speakers, mastering of the recording, etc.

I also have a minor issue with v3.0.7. Realtime AudioUnits control and setup does not work on my computer running Mavericks.

Agree with @wwaldmanfan and @copy_of_a. I had to adjust filter settings, but have been able to achieve a pleasing balance of detail, smoothness, and dynamics using Mode 1.

FYI, I had to readjust filters again after adding the LPS-1 and making some source computer and network storage changes, but again, back in my happy place 9_9

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Just wanted to pass along a not-so-good experience I've had with audirvana 3.  After more than a year of very happy use of audirvana 2 (on a dedicated Mac Mini music server) I upgraded and, stupid me, just paid the fee instead of downloading the 15 day free trial.  For some reason it doesn't work (i.e., simply doesn't play music) unless I turn Direct Mode off.  Audirvana support was responsive in helping me figure out that I needed to turn Direct Mode off, but then it doesn't sound any better than audirvana 2 (which runs just fine in Direct Mode...).  So I figured the upgrade wasn't worthwhile for me and asked - 3 times now - for a refund of my upgrade fee.  Not a peep - I can no longer get any sort of reply from them.  I'm sharing this so that you all know "buyer be ware" when it comes to this upgrade.  Make sure you test it out before forking over any $$!

19 minutes ago, mroet said:

Just wanted to pass along a not-so-good experience I've had with audirvana 3.  After more than a year of very happy use of audirvana 2 (on a dedicated Mac Mini music server) I upgraded and, stupid me, just paid the fee instead of downloading the 15 day free trial.  For some reason it doesn't work (i.e., simply doesn't play music) unless I turn Direct Mode off.  Audirvana support was responsive in helping me figure out that I needed to turn Direct Mode off, but then it doesn't sound any better than audirvana 2 (which runs just fine in Direct Mode...).  So I figured the upgrade wasn't worthwhile for me and asked - 3 times now - for a refund of my upgrade fee.  Not a peep - I can no longer get any sort of reply from them.  I'm sharing this so that you all know "buyer be ware" when it comes to this upgrade.  Make sure you test it out before forking over any $$!

Odd. Lots of forum members using Audirvana. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. What OSX are you running?

Yes, seems odd to me too, but they seemed to know it was sometimes an issue. Part of their response was "try turning off Direct Mode as it can be incompatible with some DACs". But I never had an issue with Audirvana 2 on the same (Ayre) DAC. I'm running El Capitan. I'm mostly disappointed that once I realized it wouldn't sound any better than audirvana 2 (because direct mode had to be off?) and requested a refund for the upgrade they have quit responding. I expected better, but at least audirvana 2 is still working fine....

33 minutes ago, mroet said:

Yes, seems odd to me too, but they seemed to know it was sometimes an issue. Part of their response was "try turning off Direct Mode as it can be incompatible with some DACs". But I never had an issue with Audirvana 2 on the same (Ayre) DAC. I'm running El Capitan. I'm mostly disappointed that once I realized it wouldn't sound any better than audirvana 2 (because direct mode had to be off?) and requested a refund for the upgrade they have quit responding. I expected better, but at least audirvana 2 is still working fine....

Hopefully, someone else here with an Ayre DAC and Mini running El Capitan and A+ will compare notes. Still, I'm surprised that you don't hear a difference between v.2 and v.3, even with Direct Mode off.

Regarding a refund, that has been discussed here before. i see your predicament, but with the free trial and all, we can't expect Damien to give a refund to anyone who wants one.

26 minutes ago, mroet said:

My thoughts on that is if you are not running Sierra, direct mode should be working like before.

Many users seems to have some corrupted settings when passing from v2 to v3. Corrupted prefs, System Optimizer bugs, library also. 

Have you tried starting from scratch like post i’ve made here on this thread, might help?

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

3 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Still, I'm surprised that you don't hear a difference between v.2 and v.3, even with Direct Mode off.

I agree on that.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

just in case if you wanna try... (was typing from my phone earlier)

seems long but real easy, you can just copy the files before deleting them if you want to put them back,

but you don't have much too lose...

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and
save them in a folder... when A+ is reset, you can re-import them back.
sadly to this day, the folders they were in is not back, you have to do it again...

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon or others...
install A+ alone with your database... if working, log to Roon or else after :)

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System...
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom...
click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever :)

Starting for new A+:
Go to the main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that folder install SysOptimizer)

Go to the main Library Folder...LaunchDaemons folder...
Trash All the files in that folder for Audirvana (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up!)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Caches… com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus
trash the files in that folder

Restart MAC just to be sure, not A+... This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...
LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while
it is not finished... you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not... go to sleep... then see :)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions.  I'm going to try the process RunHomeSlow has suggested.  BTW, you said "as long as you're not running Sierra" - is there some issue with A+ v3 and Sierra?  I had been wondering if I should try updating to it until I saw that. 

1 minute ago, mroet said:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions.  I'm going to try the process RunHomeSlow has suggested.  BTW, you said "as long as you're not running Sierra" - is there some issue with A+ v3 and Sierra?  I had been wondering if I should try updating to it until I saw that. 

Direct Mode is not working by default with Sierra because of Apple... there is a remedy for that also, even for High Sierra coming... but try first thing first :)

8 hours ago, mroet said:

For context: with Audirvana, there is no "then", there is just one owner/developer, Damien. He checks out this forum you may want to ping him. 

17 hours ago, stewartg said:

The best answer is what you hear with your system, your room and your ears. So you should try it and decide by yourself.

Just to explain a little more about Direct Mode and Sierra: Direct Mode is a driver Damien wrote to take the place of Apple's Core Audio.  It leaves out various aspects of Core Audio that aren't needed by Audirvana+ users, offering a less complex, more "direct"interface between the computer operating system and your DAC.

All drivers interface with the operating system kernel.  In Sierra and going forward, Apple has instituted kernel security measures that prevent such interfacing unless specifically allowed by Apple.  Damien has asked Audirvana+ users to contact Apple and request this permission for Direct Mode.  But how many users does Audirvana+ have; how many of those know about Sierra and Direct Mode; and how many of those have contacted Apple?  In any case, Apple's permission has not been forthcoming, at least so far.

There is a workaround that allows use of Direct Mode with Sierra.   @RunHomeSlow has provided the steps for the workaround in another post, for those who are running Sierra and Audirvana+ and are interested in using Direct Mode.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Just to explain a little more about Direct Mode and Sierra...

Thank-you for the explanation ... still on El Capitan but need to move soon, so this is useful.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

What about a Solid State Drive with EC installed to boot up ElCapitan, just for AV+?

Does the Newest AV+ run on EC?

There would be another cable involved too.

I'm now on Sierra, maybe do that instead of the procedure Run Some Slow has suggested?

That will have to be done every OS update.

26 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

What about a Solid State Drive with EC installed to boot up ElCapitan, just for AV+?

Does the Newest AV+ run on EC?

There would be another cable involved too.

I'm now on Sierra, maybe do that instead of the procedure Run Some Slow has suggested?

That will have to be done every OS update.

Yes, the newest version (3.0.7) runs on El Capitan.

Whatever you prefer, a separate install of El Cap, or doing the procedure outlined by RunHomeSlow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.