IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

can only use A+ on my "secondary" system: Mac mini > USB Regen > Metrum Hex > Teac HA-501 > headphones

so can't compare it with Roon at its best (ethernet to Aries > USB Regen > Audiophilleo > 2Qute > pre > amplifier)

but...

- 3.0 far better than 2.6.6

- 3.0 "Integer mode 2" slightly better than Roon (via USB)

- 3.0 "Integer mode 1" *way* better than Roon (via USB)

:)

Can someone explain what these integer modes are, what they do, and how they improved the SQ?

Can someone explain what these integer modes are, what they do, and how they improved the SQ?

just try ;)

Integer.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

mansr,

Why "dislike" the post? I am asking what the settings do, not what the resulting sound is.

The "listen to the difference" answer isn't really helpful. That's kind of like having someone ask what Dolby B does and telling them to listen to the difference with it on and off. That's not answering the question.

mansr,

Why "dislike" the post? I am asking what the settings do, not what the resulting sound is.

The "listen to the difference" answer isn't really helpful. That's kind of like having someone ask what Dolby B does and telling them to listen to the difference with it on and off. That's not answering the question.

I tapped "thumbs up" in the Android app. Is that showing as "dislike"? That was definitely not my intent.

I completely agree that "listen" is not an answer, and I too am curious as to what that option does.

I tapped "thumbs up" in the Android app. Is that showing as "dislike"? That was definitely not my intent.

I completely agree that "listen" is not an answer, and I too am curious as to what that option does.

No, I apologize. My brain saw "Dislike" when the 1 was next to "Like". My fault...and thank you!

No, I apologize. My brain saw "Dislike" when the 1 was next to "Like". My fault...and thank you!

Once you like, something, if you change your mind, you can only dislike it after you unlike it (which also gives the option of re-liking it).

Integer modes work exactly the same way. Except different.

Nope, not what I suggested. :)

I suggested that you change the location of the database file in the A+ preferences. Probably the quickest way to do this is to (1) with A+ off, rename the 2.x database file, so the 3.x database file does not overwrite it; (2) using A+ preferences, designate separate locations for the 2.x and 3.x database files; (3) again with A+ off, replace the new 2.x database file with your renamed one (changing the name back to the original after you've done so).

Wow !!! Thanks @Jud. For a computer novice like me that seems very convoluted.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Damien to just use a unique default name for the 3.0 database file?

Wow !!! Thanks @Jud. For a computer novice like me that seems very convoluted.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Damien to just use a unique default name for the 3.0 database file?

It would have been easier if all his customers wanted to have a whole separate library for the new version, yes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

ok, just given this MQA thing a try

three tracks only Crosby, Nash & Young's "Suite Judy Blue Eyes", Duke Ellington's "Afro Bossa" and Madonna's "Lucky Star"

compared local files against Tidal- A+ MQA software unfolding to 24/96 (no MQA dac). local files are 16/44. only Duke Ellington's is 24/192 (so this one was totally unfair :P )

no way: local 16/44 tracks do sound much better

not a surprise since in my "wow sounding" playlist (local files only) 9 out of 10 are 16/44

bit/sample rate don't mean much ;)

as all the above are digital remasterings of old to "ancient" analogue materials, I then tried Kaleo's "Vor í Vaglaskógi"

no way once more: local 16/44 is better

then... Rhiannon Gidden's "Moonshiner's Daughter". 24/96 MQA vs local 24/96

no contest at all: local wins by far indeed!

MQA... bye-bye! :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Integer mode in general: http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf

Damien himself can explain it far better than I can. ^

Integer mode 1 versus Integer mode 2: Integer mode 2 was first. After getting access to better equipment (I think at a French audio magazine, but I am not sure if I remember that correctly) Damien "tuned" integer mode and came up with Integer mode 1, which he made the default, but he retained integer mode 2 for anyone who preferred it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Integer mode in general: http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf

Damien himself can explain it far better than I can. ^

Integer mode 1 versus Integer mode 2: Integer mode 2 was first. After getting access to better equipment (I think at a French audio magazine, but I am not sure if I remember that correctly) Damien "tuned" integer mode and came up with Integer mode 1, which he made the default, but he retained integer mode 2 for anyone who preferred it.

Thanks! Nice document!!

First time tonight i turn on 3.02 and i got a error message for the first time ever with System Optimizer...

something like: not all part might be working... ''broken pipe'' something. Close A+ and reopen... no message. Green light is lighten.

While continuing writing this message, my song seems a bit strange... thought it was skipping a note.... then 10 sec later maybe was not moving in right direction if i can say that... then A+ Crash.

Damien, i did a restart of MAC and this time A+ start first shot without message for SysOpt... maybe something with some old cache like you said in another thread, that the restart cured, i don't know. All seems working now. First bug in a long Time with A+. That song playing was Jimmy Smith SACD DSF file, FYI.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

What Jud said. Mode 2 was the original that has always been with us since the beginning. In one upgrade (can't remember which one) Damien introduced a new set of tweaks for a new listening mode which became Mode 1. More revealing, but also more bright.

Results vary with systems, but generally those with warmer equipment (tubes, B&K, etc.) tend to prefer the original vs. the more accurate and brighter sound of Mode 1.

In LOL-speak: YMMV...

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

What Jud said. Mode 2 was the original that has always been with us since the beginning. In one upgrade (can't remember which one) Damien introduced a new set of tweaks for a new listening mode which became Mode 1. More revealing, but also more bright.

Results vary with systems, but generally those with warmer equipment (tubes, B&K, etc.) tend to prefer the original vs. the more accurate and brighter sound of Mode 1.

I knew all this but am glad this discussion came up because I do have the 'brightness' impression of 3.0. I'll need to fiddle with some settings.

Thank you.

With all the changes to A+ in A+ 3.0.x, and with my setup, I think I prefer "Mode 2". The Soviet tubes I use in my headphone amp/monitor preamp are not "warm" and my DAC is neutral. At least that is what I think right now. I will be listening to my library and should know for sure in a few day to a week.

If i use custom option in forced upsampling, all the setup i make is changed to 384kHz when i switch the force up sampling setting. Basically it does not hold the custom setting i make and changes back to 384kHz.

Hello Damien

This issue still exists in 3.02.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Sorry, in both A+ 3.0.1 as well as A+3.0.2

Are you using the SW volume control? If yes, then this explains as there is an issue preventing native DSD playback with SW volume control. It is fixed for 3.0.3.

If you are not using SW volume control, but your DAC offers a volume control, be sure the slider is at full right position (100%) as some DAC USB interfaces have such volume control in the digital domain that damages the DoP signal.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420