IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

I'm with you on that. Software is just another consumer (or B2B) product. You wanna stay in business? Word to the wise, don't piss off your customers - especially over 40 bucks. It's just stupid business. Damien's a fantastically talented programmer and seems like a great guy. But this kind of thing won't serve him well. I've been in consumer products my entire career and I can tell you, at times like this, you suck it up and help your customers. It all comes around.

Damien started this as an open-source hobby project, not as a money-maker, and he was hoping that more people would get involved. Since they didn't, or couldn't, he's selling it for a nominal fee in his spare time, but it isn't like this is some large business with six people answering phones at a help desk call center while filing their nails and hanging out at the water cooler. Get a grip.

Damien started this as an open-source hobby project, not as a money-maker, and he was hoping that more people would get involved. Since they didn't, or couldn't, he's selling it for a nominal fee in his spare time, but it isn't like this is some large business with six people answering phones at a help desk call center while filing their nails and hanging out at the water cooler. Get a grip.

Audirvana is fantastic for what it is. Software that was developed by one guy. One guy who has personally sent me updated test versions to correct issues along the way for no fee. Been on-board since the 1.4.x days and enjoyed every minute of the software experience, and what it provides to the CA community. 'Nuff said.

Still using A+ 2.5 since I have a PCM only DAC and never wanted to go through all the iterations of DSD upsampling (that seems to be a big resource hog on a Mac Mini). Very happy with the sound, and spent a lot of time tweaking it to where is it just right. I'm going to hold off on 3.0 for the time being, a shift in the high end is the last thing I want right now. But I will gladly give Damien the upgrade fee when I go forward without hesitation.

DE.

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

OK, you seem to know all about his business model. Or lack of, as he's just a saintly chap doing the world a huge favor. LOL :-)

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

OK, you seem to know all about his business model. Or lack of, as he's just a saintly chap doing the world a huge favor. LOL :-)

No, but he is a fellow CA member, who decided to take a shot at writing his own audio software. He is one of our own, and he is a great guy who is doing a lot of us a huge favor.

If it was a 6hr missed cutoff, it would just be better to give the guy a free upgrade and stop all the needless and distracting banter here. No need to be overly rigid!

Although I agree with you, it seems apparent that there will be those who feel compelled to whine and bitch about every apparent shortcoming and view it as an atrocity, due to an infinite sense of entitlement.

This, by the way, is precisely why I will never write software.

A hobby is one thing, once he starts charging and making money that's another, and that's when he has a responsibility to his customers....or not. Again he doesn't need anyone answering phones, just answer the few questions out there.

A hobby is one thing, once he starts charging and making money that's another, and that's when he has a responsibility to his customers....or not. Again he doesn't need anyone answering phones, just answer the few questions out there.

Did he sign a support contract or SLA? If the answer is "no," you have no right to complain.

So would you rather he charged several hundred bucks like some of the other options, and answered every inane email within 6 hours of its receipt from people who can't be bothered to RTFM? I know I wouldn't.

How often does Apple answer your emails about OS X or iTunes?

ok guys, so... after all the whining going on since yesterday... just purchased v3 upgrade

even though:

- I don't give a dam' about MQA

- I've been using almost just Roon in these last six months

- still do not agree with how A+ is using some file tags

:P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Did he sign a support contract or SLA? If the answer is "no," you have no right to complain.

No one is trying to force him to do anything, in fact the longer he does nothing the more he proves my point. This is the internet good luck stopping people from making their point of view heard.

So would you rather he charged several hundred bucks like some of the other options, and answered every inane email within 6 hours of its receipt from people who can't be bothered to RTFM? I know I wouldn't.

How often does Apple answer your emails about OS X or iTunes?

He doesn't have to do anything, which he is not, I'm really trying to help, I'm not attacking him, just pointing out that he has poor customer service, he can stick his head in the sand, that's fine with me, again that would be proving my point.

He doesn't have to do anything, which he is not, I'm really trying to help, I'm not attacking him, just pointing out that he has poor customer service, he can stick his head in the sand, that's fine with me, again that would be proving my point.

What point?

Do you want to know how stupid this? What date would you have had to make the purchase to not feel shafted? Let's say Damien moves the date to December 24. Now the folks that bought on December 23 are pissed. So now he moves to December 23. What happens with the December 22 folks? The December 21 folks? Do you see where this is going? Pretty soon everyone gets a free upgrade.

Hard cutoff dates are reality in the real world. Grow up and deal with it. You weren't shafted. You were on the wrong side of a cutoff date. You don't have to like it but to say that Damien did you wrong in crazy.

Please review this Ruffles potato chip commercial.

It might also be helpful to review this wikipedia entry on the slippery slope fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Enjoy your Steely Dan!

No, but he is a fellow CA member, who decided to take a shot at writing his own audio software. He is one of our own, and he is a great guy who is doing a lot of us a huge favor.

It's OK - I love him too.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

This, by the way, is precisely why I will never write software.

A lack of talent's got nothin' to do with it!

winkie of absolution -> ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

ok guys, so... after all the whining going on since yesterday... just purchased v3 upgrade

even though:

- I don't give a dam' about MQA

- I've been using almost just Roon in these last six months

- still do not agree with how A+ is using some file tags

:P

Any personal thoughts on sound?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Any personal thoughts on sound?

can only use A+ on my "secondary" system: Mac mini > USB Regen > Metrum Hex > Teac HA-501 > headphones

so can't compare it with Roon at its best (ethernet to Aries > USB Regen > Audiophilleo > 2Qute > pre > amplifier)

but...

- 3.0 far better than 2.6.6

- 3.0 "Integer mode 2" slightly better than Roon (via USB)

- 3.0 "Integer mode 1" *way* better than Roon (via USB)

:)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

but...

- 3.0 far better than 2.6.6

- 3.0 "Integer mode 2" slightly better than Roon (via USB)

- 3.0 "Integer mode 1" *way* better than Roon (via USB)

Integer mode 1, huh? I always found that too harsh, clinical and bright compared to Mode 2 which seems warmer. This is using 2.5 which I think is the same as 2.6.6 (confirm?). Does 3.0 reverse this trend?

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

Integer mode 1, huh? I always found that too harsh, clinical and bright compared to Mode 2 which seems warmer. This is using 2.5 which I think is the same as 2.6.6 (confirm). Does 3.0 reverse this trend?

always used Mode 2 with my (main) tube system as I agree with you on Mode 1 being too bright

but this headphones amp and headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-880) are way too warm for my taste so I moved to Mode 1. weird, isn't it? :P

headphones system: