IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

I also use custom settings @ 96khz, it resets itself to 192khz.

Thanks for the report. Is also fixed for 3.0.3

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Have been using Audirvana Plus 3.0.0.1 (3005) and have been getting "Audirvana Plus quit unexpectedly" errors. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the past couple of days. Usually happens after leaving audirvana open and not playing for awhile after leaving computer i.e. over night or for several hours away. Come back and have this message.

Anyone else having this issue?

Still having this issue with 3.02 (3006)

Still having this issue with 3.02 (3006)

Can you send me by email or PM the crash report you get?

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

ok, just given this MQA thing a try

three tracks only Crosby, Nash & Young's "Suite Judy Blue Eyes", Duke Ellington's "Afro Bossa" and Madonna's "Lucky Star"

compared local files against Tidal- A+ MQA software unfolding to 24/96 (no MQA dac). local files are 16/44. only Duke Ellington's is 24/192 (so this one was totally unfair :P )

no way: local 16/44 tracks do sound much better

not a surprise since in my "wow sounding" playlist (local files only) 9 out of 10 are 16/44

bit/sample rate don't mean much ;)

as all the above are digital remasterings of old to "ancient" analogue materials, I then tried Kaleo's "Vor í Vaglaskógi"

no way once more: local 16/44 is better

then... Rhiannon Gidden's "Moonshiner's Daughter". 24/96 MQA vs local 24/96

no contest at all: local wins by far indeed!

MQA... bye-bye! :P

Hmm, did you play as resident sample rate? I am on an NOS DAC and I find most MQA are better than local or Tidal Redbook. I also find Tidal Redbook the same as local. I push the MQA through at 96K if 96K, or 44.1 if 44.1.

This difference of opinion on MQA may be system / DAC dependant and how much better or worse it ends up being?

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

just try ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34023[/ATTACH]

I see your settings. Is it best to tick the 24 bit box as opposed to 32 bit? My Mac is 24 bit in Audio Midi so may be better for me. And idea?

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

I see your settings. Is it best to tick the 24 bit box as opposed to 32 bit? My Mac is 24 bit in Audio Midi so may be better for me. And idea?

That refers to the DAC, not the Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

that's a screenshot from my MBP where A+ is just sitting, no DAC connected nor music loaded into library ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

That refers to the DAC, not the Mac.

/QUOTE]

On my Mac Mini I can set 24bit depth in Audio Midi and also Dante/RednetI am thinking the top right readout in Audirvana has never shown 32/192 or 32/96, no matter what I set the various software to. So I think I'll A+ to limit to 24 bit incase the software tries to resample it.

My DAC is NOS R-2R and is 16bit 44.1 - 96K only.

Another subject, in Tidal App we can now see Masters flagged as 'M'. Will that be visible in A+ search at some point in the next updates?

Tidal subject, but I think Tidal need to widen their Gendre generally, especially for House / Deep House / Dance for example. The gendries are too big an umbrella. On Beatport they have excellent Gendre separation, make sit easier to discover new material without knowing the artist for example.

On my Mac Mini I can set 24bit depth in Audio Midi and also Dante/RednetI am thinking the top right readout in Audirvana has never shown 32/192 or 32/96, no matter what I set the various software to. So I think I'll A+ to limit to 24 bit incase the software tries to resample it.

My DAC is NOS R-2R and is 16bit 44.1 - 96K only.

You are confused. You don't have to bother to set A+ to 24 bits, but you can if you like - I'm guessing it will make no difference, but if you check it and it causes problems (unlikely), you can just uncheck it. :)

The 16 bit thing is about input, and you have a DAC that, as A+ shows, does 24-bit processing internally. That's fine. A+ will not "resample" based on the word length your DAC can handle internally. A+ will send your DAC what it can process as an input, which you have said is 16 bits.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A+ will send your DAC what it can process as an input

still don't get why A+ always shows 32/something even when "Limit to 24" is set :-|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

still don't get why A+ always shows 32/something even when "Limit to 24" is set :-|

It's just telling you what your DAC is reporting as its internal processing (when it does internal processing, your DAC chip uses "32-bit float" math). Has nothing at all to do with what your DAC will accept as input, upsampling, etc.

The reason it's there in A+ is because a handful of DACs that do 24-bit internal processing don't behave correctly unless the player is told expressly they have this behavior. So if you were using A+ and you couldn't get any sound out of your DAC, that would be one thing you could try. But that's the extent of the setting's usefulness.

ok, then... "Limit to 24" unchecked right now :P

thanks, Jud :)

headphones system:

Those option are in place in case you have a DDC, like the Singxer F-1, between the computer and DAC that supports higher bit depths and sample rates than the DAC. Audirvana will not be able to determine the limits of the DAC and could try to pass bit depth and sample rates the DAC does not support.

I use a Singxer F-1. My DAC accepts a max input of 24/192 so I check the 24 bit option and to limit the max sample rate to 192 kHz.

Those option are in place in case you have a DDC, like the Singxer F-1, between the computer and DAC that supports higher bit depths and sample rates than the DAC. Audirvana will not be able to determine the limits of the DAC and could try to pass bit depth and sample rates the DAC does not support.

I use a Singxer F-1. My DAC accepts a max input of 24/192 so I check the 24 bit option and to limit the max sample rate to 192 kHz.

Yes, useful in that case as well.

My DAC accepts a max input of 24/192 so I check the 24 bit option and to limit the max sample rate to 192 kHz.

If you connect your DAC directly, what word length does it show that it will accept?

It's just telling you what your DAC is reporting as its internal processing (when it does internal processing, your DAC chip uses "32-bit float" math). Has nothing at all to do with what your DAC will accept as input, upsampling, etc.

The reason it's there in A+ is because a handful of DACs that do 24-bit internal processing don't behave correctly unless the player is told expressly they have this behavior. So if you were using A+ and you couldn't get any sound out of your DAC, that would be one thing you could try. But that's the extent of the setting's usefulness.

I don't think that is correct. None of these bit depth number has anything to do with what bit depth math is done at. It is the bit depth and sample rate of the source material or what is being sent to the DAC. On the left side for the DAC input they are shown in this format:

24/176.4kHz

On the right, for source format, they are in this format:

16/44.1 kHz

The first number in both cases is bit depth sent to DAC or bit depth of source material, respectively. Not the number of bits the internal math is done at.

+1 i think :-)

Mine 16/44 files on the right shows 32/44 on the left side of A+ if i don't do anything, since my DAC is 32/384 capable, i never see 24 bits on the left side... but now show DSD128 since i upsample everything to that :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I don't think the is correct. None of these bit depth number has anything to do with what bit depth math is done at. It is the bit depth and sample rate of the source material or what is being sent to the DAC. On the left side for the DAC input they are shown in this format:

24/176.4kHz

On the right, for source format, they are in this format:

16/44.1 kHz

The first number in both cases is bit depth sent to DAC or bit depth of source material, respectively. Not the number of bits the internal math is done at.

You're correct. Sorry for my confused thinking and thus misinformation. But it's still true that for the vast majority of cases the setting doesn't need to be done. Only where you have a digital-to-digital converter or your DAC doesn't report the input word length capability correctly might there be any problem at all. Only if you don't hear anything or you get some sort of distortion and think this might be the problem do you need to check the box.

If you connect your DAC directly, what word length does it show that it will accept?

If I connect my Yggdrasil directly via USB, A+ 3.0.2 shows "16/192" in the upper left corner BEFORE I play any tracks. This is with no restrictions on bit depth or sample rate set in the software and no upsampling being done by A+. When I play a "16/44.1" track, it shows "32/44.1" in the upper left. When I limit the bit depth to "24" and the sample rate to "192", it shows "24/44.1" in the upper left.

Now, as I have said before, I would say this is a bug as A+ should be sending "16/44.1" to the DAC. A+ should let the DAC do any bit depth and sample rate changes when "Forced Upsampling" is set to "None".

If I connect my Yggdrasil directly via USB, A+ 3.0.2 shows "16/192" in the upper left corner BEFORE I play any tracks. This is with no restrictions on bit depth or sample rate set in the software and no upsampling being done by A+. When I play a "16/44.1" track, it shows "32/44.1" in the upper left. When I limit the bit depth to "24" and the sample rate to "192", it shows "24/44.1" in the upper left.

Now, as I have said before, I would say this is a bug as A+ should be sending "16/44.1" to the DAC. A+ should let the DAC do any bit depth and sample rate changes when "Forced Upsampling" is set to "None".

Sending 16bit was causing more issues than any benefit. These issues started with El Capitan. That's why it is no more changing the bit depth of the stream over the USB bus.

The DAC recognises 24bit stream with the low 8bits being 0s as 16bit data anyway.

And most DACs offer only 24bit (or even 32!) streams on the USB bus.