IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

As a note that may be interesting to some, the HQPlayer OS image supports running HQPlayer + NAA in "multihomed" mode. This is done by running all the Ethernet interfaces in HQPlayer OS in bridged mode. IOW, they all participate in the same network.

Essentially this turns the HQPlayer OS computer into a software based switch. In many cases however it is better to have a real separate switch. And if there's still a separate switch towards the ordinary network, the software switch in HQPlayer OS only sees it's own traffic. But anyway, this is possible setup and keeps things easy for such configurations avoiding problems with multicast routing and such like would be with multiple separate networks.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

As a note that may be interesting to some, the HQPlayer OS image supports running HQPlayer + NAA in "multihomed" mode. This is done by running all the Ethernet interfaces in HQPlayer OS in bridged mode. IOW, they all participate in the same network.

Essentially this turns the HQPlayer OS computer into a software based switch. In many cases however it is better to have a real separate switch. And if there's still a separate switch towards the ordinary network, the software switch in HQPlayer OS only sees it's own traffic. But anyway, this is possible setup and keeps things easy for such configurations avoiding problems with multicast routing and such like would be with multiple separate networks.

I received a new usb stick and Balena etched it with 4.11 but for NAA. Then my TEAC appeared OK with a different label (hqplayer: TEAC etc, instead of NAA:etc with 3.5.6) but no sound. Put back my working 3.5.6 stick, no more sound. Thus I Balena etched the new stick with 3.5.6 and everything is fine now. I guess that if the lighter 3.5.6 works fine I don't have personally to worry about 4.11 working as NAA but I share the experience...

4 hours ago, Miska said:
4 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer OS image supports running HQPlayer + NAA in "multihomed" mode

I'm going to give HQP OS a try, I always used just the NAA image because of the smaller footprint but seems HQP OS is more complete. Thanks 

On 7/11/2019 at 4:34 PM, Superdad said:

Per the Signalyst.com web page, there are now two DACs available with NAA built in:

The $26,000 T+A SDV 3100 HV (https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/hv-series/sdv-3100-reference-streaming-dac-preamp/)

and the $6,200 TotalDAC d1 Streamer (http://www.totaldac.com/D1-streamer-eng.htm)

Not exactly within the budget of the everyman. 

well, the d1 Streamer is not really a DAC, so there is really only the T+A

the d1 Streamer is a streamer though and can easily become an NAA because it uses a cubox.

in addition to using the SD card from TotalDAC and selecting the NAA, you can always just burn the NAA image (cubox version) to an SD card and insert that into the d1 Streamer.

then, if you are counting streamers (and not just DACs) that support NAA, the Sonore micro/ultra/opticalRendu all support NAA

8 hours ago, cat6man said:

in addition to using the SD card from TotalDAC and selecting the NAA, you can always just burn the NAA image (cubox version) to an SD card and insert that into the d1 Streamer.

You can do the same with microRendu too. It is not CuBox-i, but it uses same i.MX6 SoC and I added definition files needed for it, so the image is now combo-image.

Most devices use some COTS SoM and Linux, so adding my networkaudiod is not much problem - unless the Linux version used in the device is too old (which is also quite typical).

11 hours ago, Miska said:

You can do the same with microRendu too. It is not CuBox-i, but it uses same i.MX6 SoC and I added definition files needed for it, so the image is now combo-image.

Most devices use some COTS SoM and Linux, so adding my networkaudiod is not much problem - unless the Linux version used in the device is too old (which is also quite typical).

:)

i had assumed that to be the case, but did not suggest that as i have not tried it myself yet.

one thing i mean to get around to is a sound quality comparison of NAA image from Miska vs. NAA option selected on Rendu

4 hours ago, cat6man said:

one thing i mean to get around to is a sound quality comparison of NAA image from Miska vs. NAA option selected on Rendu

Don't count on that working well or sounding great.  OrbiterOS is optimized for each version of Sonore Rendu.  There is proprietary code that runs when it boots to take advantage of hardware features and the integration of the iMX6 SoC module with the baseboard.  I won't be more specific because @vortecjr does not like me to yak about it. Plus I only know bits of it anyway.

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Don't count on that working well or sounding great.  OrbiterOS is optimized for each version of Sonore Rendu.  There is proprietary code that runs when it boots to take advantage of hardware features and the integration of the iMX6 SoC module with the baseboard.  I won't be more specific because @vortecjr does not like me to yak about it. Plus I only know bits of it anyway.

To me it works and sounds good on microRendu.

It was needed to get some DACs and some HQPlayer features working.

Rendu can be sometimes a bit tricky to deal with. Without it I wouldn't be able to test my new NAA codes on Rendu before making a release. It is still not the same as running it on OrbiterOS (so it won't guarantee things work also there), but at least things have been then tested on the same hardware.

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Trying to install trial version of 4.04 dektop on ubuntu.Cant get to install.Says instaling but stays at 0 % then goes back to were it says install ?

How are you trying to install it? If you do "sudo dpkg -i hqplayer4desktop_4.0.4-5_amd64.deb" first and then "sudo apt install -f", does it succeed?

Hi Jussi,

I have been informed that Muso ( windows program) can be configured in a way that it can be used as music file control for HQPlayer in a Linux environment . One uses a small Win PC for that. HQPlayer with audiolinux is connected to the DAC. Muso is advised to connect through LAN to the IP of Audiolinux.

They told me that this works without problems with HQPlayer desktop. One has to activate the network in HQPlayer by means of the icon on the top right site of the toolbar.

Now to my question: I have HQPlayer embedded on audiolinux, is there an equivalent icon that I can use? Will it be possible to do the same with the embedded HQ? Or will I need the desktop version

cheers

Sigi

4 hours ago, Sigi said:

They told me that this works without problems with HQPlayer desktop. One has to activate the network in HQPlayer by means of the icon on the top right site of the toolbar.

Now to my question: I have HQPlayer embedded on audiolinux, is there an equivalent icon that I can use? Will it be possible to do the same with the embedded HQ? Or will I need the desktop version

HQPlayer 4 Desktop and HQPlayer 4 Embedded have the same control interface, so they are interchangeable in that respect.

Since the usage scenarios for the two are different, some of the user interface things differ. Embedded being designed for home networks always accepts network connections to the control interface. While with Desktop you may be traveling with laptop and may not want to allow control from airport or hotel WiFi... (although you should have a firewall anyway in such public places)

So Embedded just doesn't have such button.

Miska,

There's an interesting new IPC (instructions per cycle) comparison of the current higher end AMD & Intel chips where they are limited to match on number of cores & clock speed. 

The bottom line is that while Intel retains a small advantage on raw clock speed, AMD's cores are more efficient and they will be offering twice as many of them (16 vs 8 ) in their forthcoming 3950x chip. This, along with 2x the last gen's floating point performance and the ability to make use of DDR3600 RAM and your forthcoming (?) multicore performance optimizations, has me optimistic about the AMD 3950x's ability to handle EC at DSD512. 

Of course, only time will tell, but what do you think?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

12 hours ago, Miska said:

How are you trying to install it? If you do "sudo dpkg -i hqplayer4desktop_4.0.4-5_amd64.deb" first and then "sudo apt install -f", does it succeed?

I tried installing the way i always do,Click on downoaded file click on install.Will try your way.Thanks

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Cant get it work.Get error

No such file or directory

3 hours ago, k6davis said:

optimistic about the AMD 3950x's ability to handle EC at DSD512. 

Of course, only time will tell, but what do you think?

I'm still trying to find a CPU that can do it... So far I've been mostly happy when I find CPU that can do DSD256 with EC...

17 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Okay how do you do that ?

You download the file, usually it ends up in Downloads directory, you go there first before issuing the command. If you are not familiar with Linux command line, there's plenty on information online about that and Debian/Ubuntu package management tools.

38 minutes ago, Miska said:

You download the file, usually it ends up in Downloads directory, you go there first before issuing the command. If you are not familiar with Linux command line, there's plenty on information online about that and Debian/Ubuntu package management tools.

Started to download power went out.I was at stage of agreing to licencse and power went out so some of it was installed.How do i remove what was partially installed.error processing package hqplayer4desktop (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hqplayer4desktop

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Started to download power went out.I was at stage of agreing to licencse and power went out so some of it was installed.How do i remove what was partially installed.error processing package hqplayer4desktop (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hqplayer4desktop

It says there are missing dependencies, this gets fixed by "sudo apt install -f". Just in case you can then also run "sudo dpkg --configure --pending". That should do it.

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

udo dpkg

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

It says there are missing dependencies, this gets fixed by "sudo apt install -f". Just in case you can then also run "sudo dpkg --configure --pending". That should do it.

dpkg: error: unknown option -�

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' !