IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

I would just instead recommend to choose hardware that supports NAA out of the box, such as T+A, totaldac, etc.

Noted but Devialet Phantom (discussed above), being DSP speakers, are a different category of product...

I've heard them with digital room EQ (Bubble UPnP + minimserver with convolution at 192kHz) and they sounded incredible.

Would be even better to have this with HQP NAA. Will make the request to Devialet but the chances seem slim.

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Noted but Devialet Phantom (discussed above), being DSP speakers, are a different category of product...

I've heard them with digital room EQ (Bubble UPnP + minimserver with convolution at 192kHz) and they sounded incredible.

Would be even better to have this with HQP NAA. Will make the request to Devialet but the chances seem slim.

if you have not purchased them yet, check the Cabasse

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

That's not any excuse for not supporting NAA protocol. Especially if they already support more complex UPnP protocol.

We have already shown DSP speakers that run full HQPlayer with DSD upsampling inside.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be for Devialet to add NAA to the Phantom (Dialog) or the Expert range.  Any ideas?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have the phantoms and they do 192 over toslink IF you connect the speaker's toslink input directly to the toslink output of the source/ rederer. The dialog cant handle more than 24/96. I tried it by connecting one of the phantoms to the optical output of my windows server running roon and hqplayer. No problem in sending out poly sinc ext 2 @ 192 to the phantoms. Blew me away. Ofcourse upnp would make things far easier but for a workaround I have the raspberry pi with hifiberry+ hat on order. The Hat has an optical output so let's see how that goes as an naa end(mid)point.

i'm amazed by the fantastic sound I get from Embedded + Linux image NAA running on a MB Air.

To replace the Air I'm considering, per Miska's recommended list, UP Board or Logic Supply CL100 ; has anyone compared/can argue the pro/cons of the 2? (ie is the Logic worth the extra money for its EMI protection?)

Moreover, I'm worried by the Power Supply. I can't economically consider SBooster, Uptone etc ; is running from a POWER BANK a safe reliable great sounding viable solution? How would it work? by connecting to a USB C port?

Suggestion on the EU market?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If it runs Linux, which is likely, it is very easy.

I have no idea if Devialet's run Linux, their chief design engineer (or "Global Head of Development, Devialet Expert Pro" as he is now titled) is visiting some dealers in the UK later this month, I'll ask him.🙂

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:58 PM, Em2016 said:

I have the brilliant Jussi recommended Up Board Gateway (they've given it a new name now) running as NAA - works brilliantly. 

https://up-shop.org/home/81-up-gws01w4g-memory32g-emmc-boardwo-vesa-plate.html

It is very low in power consumption... I can power it with a 5Vdc 900mA USB3.0 port (just non bus powered USB DAC and ethernet connected, no other devices). For critical listening I can take it 'off the grid' with my 5Vdc 1A USB powerbank and this DC power cable:

https://www.lindy.com.au/usb-to-dc-cable-2-1mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-1-5m

I haven't tried wireless though - I use it wired.

There's a WiFi antenna connection on the UpBoard Gateway case but I don't know what accessories are needed for that.

I may try wireless (via USB adapter) this weekend, just out of curiosity. I'm running DietPi x86_64 version on my Up Board Gateway (installed on the internal eMMC but boots to ramdisk) and it may allow USB-WiFi adapter. I'll find out.

Of course for simple wired connection, you can use Jussi's USB bootable images (either the standalone NAA image or HQPe image works fine as NAA too).

There's no shared USB and ethernet bus power issues of the Pi'3 here - PCM768kHz and DSD512 is no issue with the Up Board Gateway.

i might have to change the MBAir I use for NAA someday and the Up board would be my choice.

As of powering it, would you order it without a power supply and rather order a powerbank (why not a 3A since its seems to be the specs?)

Has anyone tried with the MeanWell PSU John Swenson recommended for Regen?

3 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

As of powering it, would you order it without a power supply and rather order a powerbank (why not a 3A since its seems to be the specs?)

Has anyone tried with the MeanWell PSU John Swenson recommended for Regen?

You can definitely use a 5Vdc 3A PSU, including powerbank.

My UP Gateway has been rock solid - highly recommended.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:02 PM, k6davis said:

Miska, 

Would it be possible to add Restart & Shutdown commands to the web interface for HQP OS?

Are you talking about restart/shutdown of the system or application?  I get around both of those by logging on to the server and issuing commands as needed.  You can use putty ssh client or MobaXterm to even script the commands as you need.

HQPlayerd

restart command - systemctl restart hqplayerd.service

stop command - systemctl stop hqplayerd.service

start command - systemctl start hqplayerd.service

Server Commands

restart - sudo reboot

shutdown - sudo shutdown

On 6/20/2019 at 11:32 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

HOWEVER I'm facing @Superdad's issue : works just fine with PCM files (output SDM as well as PCM) but DSD files remain mute ; Audirvana's progression bar is busy just as if it was going to play but it does not go through...

Fixed now for the next release...

Hi @Miska,

I just updated yesterday HQPlayer Embedded to 4.11.0 and after a couple of days testing, I am still havig the issue with the first play. When I play for the first time, Roon does nothing: no error, no play, nothing. When I insist, the second time that I click play. Roon + HQplayer, start playing. The NAA runs your latest NAA image.

So far, I have not found any further issue with version 4.11.0.

Hi Jussi,

am using audiolinux with the new merging AlSA driver. The former bug has gone, one can play more than 1 file and continue with others from other cds without starting HQPlayer again. But have a problem:

can only play files with 44,1 sample rate without distortion. As soon that I increase the SR, I get dropouts, crackling noises similar to frying eggs! This is not strongly correlated to the filters I use. Some are even not working!

Question: One can select 1Filter and NFilter and shaper. From windows I was accustomed to use in PCM only one filter, what is the meaning of 2 filters.

In win 10 and also win2012 R2 I have no distortions even up to 384 Khz in PCM with the same PC. Can tou help?

cheers

Sigi

2 hours ago, Sigi said:

Question: One can select 1Filter and NFilter and shaper. From windows I was accustomed to use in PCM only one filter, what is the meaning of 2 filters.

Sometimes it is nice to have a different filter for hires material, where it usually doesn't need to be as steep as for 1x (44.1/48k) material.

If you like to have the old single filter behavior, just select same filter for both.

2 hours ago, Sigi said:

In win 10 and also win2012 R2 I have no distortions even up to 384 Khz in PCM with the same PC. Can tou help?

Same PC, through RAVENNA, but different OS? Maybe related to driver or the OS, or something else. I really don't know. Disturbances or Hapi going silent usually means packet loss or packets not delivered in timely manner.

2 hours ago, acatala said:

I just updated yesterday HQPlayer Embedded to 4.11.0 and after a couple of days testing, I am still havig the issue with the first play. When I play for the first time, Roon does nothing: no error, no play, nothing. When I insist, the second time that I click play. Roon + HQplayer, start playing. The NAA runs your latest NAA image.

Checking from the log file, do you see that HQPlayer is already connected to the NAA once you hit play in Roon? It could also tell why the first playback attempt fails.

I also have problems with versions 4.10 - 4.11.  Forced back to 4.9.

PCM to DSD conversion. Roon -> HQPlayer Embeded -> NAA 3.5.5 -> BeagleBone with custom firmware Botic7 -> DSC2

Two problems:

1. the same problem as @acatala
  2. Sounds only 16/44. Higher bitrates are silent.

DSD DAC DSC2http://puredsd.ru

I use 5V 6A power bricks. The overall consumption largely depends on what is going on and what is connected to the USB and how much it draws. Typical symptoms of too weak PSU are unexpected reboots and USB devices experiencing unexpected disconnects. Or just the computer or a USB device getting frozen.

Current consumption tends to have heavy peaks at times with fairly low average, so results also depend on a particular PSU how it handles extreme current draw peaks. Generally it is better to have as much capacity on the PSU as possible.

7 hours ago, ppy said:

I also have problems with versions 4.10 - 4.11.  Forced back to 4.9.

PCM to DSD conversion. Roon -> HQPlayer Embeded -> NAA 3.5.5 -> BeagleBone with custom firmware Botic7 -> DSC2

Two problems:

1. the same problem as @acatala
  2. Sounds only 16/44. Higher bitrates are silent.

Have you checked the new settings introduced in 4.10/4.11? For example if you have "Auto rate family" enabled and you didn't enable the "48k DSD" support, any 48k-base source will fail to play. By default "48k DSD" is disabled, because majority of DSD capable DACs don't support it...

21 hours ago, Miska said:

Checking from the log file, do you see that HQPlayer is already connected to the NAA once you hit play in Roon? It could also tell why the first playback attempt fails.

This morning I have enabled log in HQPlayer. After a few minutes I have tried to play and it worked at fist attempt this time. In the log there was NAA checks logged every second. I stopped playing at 10:36. The inital state was: DAC/Preamp off, NAA off, HQPayer on (24x7) but I have touched its configuration in order to enable the logging. Startup order: DAC/Preamp and then NAA.

This afternoon, I tried it againg. The inital state was the same:   DAC/Preamp off, NAA off, HQPayer on. Power on DAC and then power on NAA. This time the first attempt (at 17:13) failed and second attempt (at 17:14) worked.

I have attached an excerpt from the hqplayerd.log with the last entries from this morning and the entries from this afternoon.

17:13 failed

17:14 worked

hqplayerd.log

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Have you checked the new settings introduced in 4.10/4.11? For example if you have "Auto rate family" enabled and you didn't enable the "48k DSD" support, any 48k-base source will fail to play. By default "48k DSD" is disabled, because majority of DSD capable DACs don't support it...

Thank you! I mistakenly thought the opposite. That it is only for 48xDSD.

Jussi, there is still a small problem:

After rebooting the server on which both RoonServer and HQPlayer Embeded. It works only after manual

systemctl restart hqplayerd

In hqplayerd.service wrote

After=rc-local.service roonserver.service network-online.target sound.target systemd-udev-settle.service

But it does not work.

How to make HQPlayer Embeded work after reboot?

DSD DAC DSC2http://puredsd.ru